Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
More love for Stokoe, I honestly cannot remember a comic in recent years that I've enjoyed as thoroughly as I have Orc Stain. Every page of that book sings gloriously and it's not just the fact that he's an incredible artist, with an eye for detail. But, the designs and the concepts and all of the psychedelic creatures he comes up with just add to the fancy. It's easily the best book on the stands and the fact that James apparently cannot make a living off of his art is the saddest thing in the universe.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/1ya2cm.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Nawid posted:

He is quite good.

Not really a fan of Coipel, though I'm judging him mostly on Siege. His panels are big and wide shot, but they're completely devoid of scenery and come off as empty and a waste of panel space. He can draw a mean Thor, but his action scenes are stiff and lifeless. Also, every other page seemed to have a dust cloud being kicked up that only existed as a means of obscuring a characters' feet. I like his faces and I've seen him do a couple of impressive things in Thor, but he just bores me when he doesn't give that little bit of effort.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I am a huge fan of Moritat's work on the Spirit, which is easily the most underrated book being put out by either of the Big Two right now. The amount of detail and life in his backgrounds is just stuning.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Colorists from that era of comics tended to be butchers who ruined great pencils and inks with cheap rush jobs.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

This is about 20 years too late for anyone to care, but these Francavilla covers for Archie meets KISS own thoroughly

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Edit: Whoops image is breaking the tables.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 7, 2012

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Captain Marvel #9.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

This is an example of awesome art. Colours are great too.

I disagree. It has it's strengths, but that face is absolutely inexcusable. There's definitely a sense of kinetic energy in the panels that's completely absent from Big 2 comics, but at the same time the draftsmanship shown here is garbage. Now of course this is stylized and that's all fine and good, but the hallmark of good stylization is the ability to maintain it consistently throughout the work. This is clearly not present here.

In this preview, Carol's anatomy shifts wildly from panel to panel, her eyes grow wider apart in each page, and her red sash manages to grow 20x it's size in order to wrap around the t-rex's jaw. This artist actually reminds me a lot of Eric Canete, the difference being that Canete manages to pull off this kind of style competently.

Notice how Spider-Man has crazy and exaggerated proportions, but it never feels inconsistent? It's different, but Canete clearly presents his own vision of how HIS Spider-Man looks and acts.

And on a mildly related note, If I never saw another dinosaur in superhero comics that would be just dandy. It has easily become the most played out gimmick in Marvel and DC's hand. Dinosaurs in my cape comics! Woah how fun and irreverent is this man???

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 20, 2012

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

It's clearly the last boss of Final Fantasy 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Upcoming issue of Green Arrow.