Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

There was a terrible one-shot in the 90's called Batman Digital Justice. All the art is done on early 90's-era CGI. You can imagine how this is going to end.

I remember thinking that that was pretty rad at the time. I think I've still got two (2!) copies of that knocking around at my mum's place. To be fair, while it was "in the 90s" it did come out in 1990 and was a gently caress of a lot more polished than Shatter, or other digital comics at the time. There was an Iron Man CG comic around the same time, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
I don't read a lot of comics, but the art in the Avengers vs X-Men #2 seemed egregiously horrible. The two teams facing off should be a BIG MOMENT, but they all look so strange that I just felt embarrassed for them all.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Dan Hollis posted:

Taken out of a gritty urban setting - Daredevil looks so vulnerable there with his blind walking cane. :smith:

Holy poo poo. Even though I thought Daredevil looked incredibly gormless, I didn't even notice the cane. Is that normal?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I bring it up because it's an excellent example of overall page composition. Note how Booster is always on the left and is constantly shown pushing Cyborg back with varied aggressive stances until the very final panel when he moves on. It's a fantastic example of using visual-spatial relations to convey the tone of a conversation without needing to read a word at all. Yes it's simple, but it's remarkable how little that kind of convention is followed and worth celebrating.

Another thing that Maguire and artists like him get a lot of flack for are their weird "who poses like that?" faces, and while I can't find it this page is a good example of his facial poses philosophy when it works. There was a Wizard interview where he says that he always tries to capture the moment of strongest emotion in an exchange as the writer outlines for him. That's why sometimes you'll find him drawing faces where the person is all puffed or smooshing their lips in a way that'd only exist for a second at most in an actual conversation--but that's the point, it's the moment when their emotions are the plainest, and this page is a great example of how that philosophy can be used to employ a great visual story that doesn't need words. The words then get to only add depth. It's wonderful.

Really? Because I think this looks loving terrible.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Then elucidate why or contribute something of your own instead of making GBS threads in the thread like it's an outhouse.

This is a thread for good comic art. Y'know, using words and pictures to tell a story in sequence? That means that good art isn't necessarily confined by the constraint of "how cool would this look on a poster/t-shirt/tattoo/side of my van." Art that tells a story effectively, even when it's not the prettiest, deserves to be celebrated in this thread too.

Another contribution:

The anatomy and proportions get wonky, and the perspective feels rushed like it most likely was. That said the use of framing from panel to panel manages to accentuate the speech in a way similar but distinct from how a cinema camera would frame the same scene. It's good comic art, despite its flaws, because it tells a story well. You can take it on its own merits without the words and it still tells a story.

That's interesting, because I really don't take the view that art has to be "beautiful" to be effective. I do think, however, that anything that makes the reader stop and go "that looks awful" is, by definition, bad comic art (another thing this thread was made to highlight). By pulling you out of the narrative it fails on the central criteria by which should be judged.

I would also take exception to your assertion that this page of Captain America tells a story that doesn't need words. Without the lengthy dialogue, the story of this page is this:

1. Captain America irritably twists his head at an un-natural angle.
2. Captain America holds his arms up in the air.
3. Captain America then holds an open hand down to the ground.
4. Captain America scowls.
5. Deformed people look scared.

There are plenty of pages that can tell stories wordlessly. I really don't think this is one of them.

HorseHeadBed fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2012

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

James Stokoe did a cover for What if? Age of Ultron #2

What if Age of Ultron looked like this, indeed.

Love the little Wally/Waldo in there.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Clint Langley's ABC Warriors is the only comic I've ever bought solely for the art, which is weird because I usually hate computer colouring. Somehow, though, it seems to work in the context of big robots beating the poo poo out each other and firing big guns.

I wish he didn't use Gaussian Blur, though.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

How's he lifting the lid off that box?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
There's a lower leg between Rogue's feet that I'm not sure belongs to anyone.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Jim Steranko - Chandler: Red Tide

Found on Tumblr recently.

Those are great. I didn’t know about Red Tide until now but I guess the look I always credited to Frank Miller is actually Steranko’s. Found more info and galleries here: Red Tide

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Cool World VCD posted:

I never tire of Herbie.

What is this and how do I see more of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Thanks. There's an online version of a copy on archive.org. Whether that's 'legitimate', I don't know, but hard copies are about 100 bucks on ebay.

https://archive.org/details/herbiearchives0002hugh/mode/2up