Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thread needs more Marcos Martin, Jack Kirby, and Brian Bolland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Goddam, I just noticed that background. Beautiful stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think Sabretooth claiming to be Wolverine's son was a take on the old Sabretooth claiming to be Wolverine's father thing in the 616,

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I haven't seen many of his interiors, but I thought he did a great job with the original Sentry series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

From what I recall it's more the popularity of it was a punk response than the art itself. People bought what they felt embodied that (intentionally or not) and we ended up with the Image guys becoming popular.

Bingo. In the nineties we only cared about hard bodies striking poses in the midst of violence. The comic companies could have taken the high road, but that would have only hastened Marvel's bankruptcy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It just seems to be his style. It's the rounded faces. Look how Dazzler compares with the other X-Women.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

This is a cover Michael Turner did for the Batman/Superman arc that reintroduced Kara Zor-El to the post-Crisis DCU. Just look at Kara's abdomen: it's nearly twice as big as her chest! And the legs!

I decided to "fix" Kara in GIMP by vertically compressing her body below the rib cage. Do you guys think this is better?:

Horrible with human anatomy, but the guy could draw some great looking monsters. I remember Krytpo, Batmans wetsuit, Darkseid, and Superman's exotic zoo looking pretty great.

I remember his Marvel covers looking horrid, but I still miss the guy.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 30, 2011

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

A good writer will be able to play to his strengths. I've only seen those two pages, but they do a good job of giving me a dreadful feeling. Trying to take in all those lines is almost maddening.

A good writer can sometimes be the difference between bad and good art, strangely enough.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Doesn't Psylocke have a new costume? At least in X-Force she does.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's worst not worse. So many people are posting art they don't like, and not actual bad art. Jim Lee has plenty of flaws, but he's not a bad artist. He draws a good Catwoman and Batman, and I can't think of a better rendition of Nightwing. That cover of Batman and Nightwing racing across the roof tops is one of my favorites.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Geoff Johns had a pretty good run on the Avengers. There's an alternate universe somewhere where Johns never left Marvel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Then we got Bendis. Probably the best example of a poo poo sandwich in comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

rkajdi posted:

DC != Valiant, unless something happened towards the end that I'm unaware of. Really, Valiant was best when it was a Jim Shooter operation, and went downhill after that until it ended in a pile of poo poo.

He's bitching about Worlds Finest from 2000, and the recoloring of Flex Mentallo and Killing Joke probably.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Well I'm sure he expected people to actually read the book instead of just the one page out of context.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Cameron Stewart took a shot at drawing this "redesigned" Catwoman.

Footbutt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

This thread isn't really for fanart because it's a slippery slope of just posting stuff randomly found on deviantart or tumblr.

I like the image though because Bane looks like Bonk on steroids.

Can I post the ABC X-Men book I made for third grade art class if I find it? A is for Apocalypse...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He's also recently famous for getting punched by the Red Hulk because Jeph Loeb is a loving hack.

I love Ed McGuiness but this poo poo sucks.

It was Ed's one request if he was going to do Hulk. Man just wanted to see the Watcher get punched by Hulk.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Jeph Loeb wanted to illustrate that Red Hulk is an idiot who has a bad habit of making all the wrong enemies. While Green Hulk mostly wants to be left in peace, the Red Hulk is too aggressive for his own good.

I don't read much Marvel. Did Uatu get back at Rulk for this incident? A guy who knows all of everybody's dirty secrets seems like the worst person to piss off.

I already mentioned before that it was Ed's one request that he draw the Hulk (originally it was the green Hulk) punching the Watcher. It's a pretty funny gag after seeing the Watcher standing around all the time in different comics. Ed is also the reason why there was a X Sanction cover with Spider-Man and Wolverine in their black costumes, despite neither costume appearing in the actual book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Oh my god, this is loving incredible. I need this framed!

Do you have a clean image of this? I gotta rasterize this.

e: Jesus, the text is also amazing:

BEHOLD! The hand of Galactus! BEHOLD! The hand of him who is like unto a god! BEHOLD! The clutch of harnessed power -- about to be released!

Read any comic made by Lee and Kirby that involves anything cosmic. The text really fills you with a sense of awe for things like Ego and Galactus. I wish the modern cosmic books could set the mood like that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

The pencil work was competent, but the character designs are horrific. drat it Grant Morrison, stop designing costumes!

Competent?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"No more Dinosaurs!" ? "No, more Dinosaurs!"

We just had Dell Otto drawing Devil Dinosaur! The world needs more stuff like that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

My bad.

I thought I might be getting a few things mixed up. I still really prefer the original from the effect given off by the paper quality.

I don't know about the rest of the book, but I think the recoloring of Batman's costume from blue to black was a good touch. Maybe it depends on how you first experience the book.

Also, I think the older a book is the less it should be recolored. Someone posted an image dump somewhere of a bunch of recolored stuff, and the stuff from the sixties and seventies looked horrendous, but some of the nineties stuff, like Liefeld's X-Force, looked pretty drat good as far as Liefeld goes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

DAREDEVIL

Just read the issue five minutes ago, and didn't catch that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Because she's been fighting animal people since her debut.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

sporklift posted:

Do statues count. Those torpedoes!

I'm supposed to be looking at spider boobs, but all I see is Sascrotch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

No joke, I see people posting this as one of their favorite pieces of comic art and cosplaying as that particular version of MJ all the time. It makes me really sad in my heart.

Either you're being sarcastic or you don't know those people are being sarcastic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jedit posted:

Brian Bolland hasn't done interior work since The Killing Joke, I think. He's a great cover artist though.

It was a pretty big deal when he did like two or three pages for Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

Similarly, according to Ethan VanSciver, they won't pull the trigger on a Plastic Man series is because his page rate is too high. His said his contract is up soon, so maybe they'll be able to renegotiate.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 18, 2013

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

After seeing that Native American story in that Daredevil issue with Wolverine and Echo, seeing it blurted out in one panel just looks lazy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Chuck Austen ongoing series. At least a one shot is over in a month.

Loeb did good by Darkseid. Even after getting stuck onto the Source Wall by Superman in the Supergirl arc, he bribes Supes into pulling him off during the next arc, and he had Etrigan on a leash.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

It is very good (in my opinion one of Marvel's best books ATM), but some people here really don't like Hickman.

The annual wasn't written by Hickman, and stands on it's own, so there's no excuse for not reading it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Everyone should read that issue. It's only $5, and it's a perfectly self contained issue. I don't think you'll ever get as much artistic bang for your comic buck.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I don't think there were many, if any, potato faces in Pax Americana.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Noto is also the regular artist on BW.

Black Widow and Guardians of the Galaxy are both good, but not great, books. I wish these covers would be as plentiful as DC's Darwyn Cooke covers, and not from crazy ratio with a jacked up price tag.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Only time I didn't like Ross was his Galactus in Marvels. The scale with him obviously being a guy in a suit was a real downer when compared to his gorgeous rendition of the FF.

EDIT: Can we talk about how great his Fantastic Four looks?

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 7, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lockjaw likes hugs, Lucky likes pizza, what does Cosmo like?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure that last one was an Elektra cover. Remember that Bendis wrote an Elektra book?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Benito Cereno posted:

Counterpoint: Gorgon is an Inhuman whose power is literally to kick anything to death

Gorgon had earthquake powers that were so precise he could effect a single object, and do all sorts of other stupid poo poo. Those original issues in Fantastic Four were ridiculous.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

How come the Lenil Yu one has trade dress for the current SHIELD book, though?

And I really like the Adventure Comics #247 one in there, mostly because it tells the entire story in two panels/covers. Like, I guarantee you that's exactly what happens in the issue and I haven't read Silver Age Legion for years.

Marvel did a bunch of variant covers last month around that theme. They were pretty good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That cover was so loving weirdly sexual, combined with the name New X-Men? I had to know what happened to the X-Men since the cartoon series. I was growing up. Did the X-Men grow up?

That's my secret origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Andrea Sorrentino is pretty great.

Old Man Logan #4

So many Venoms. What's Sorrentino doing after Secret Wars?