Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

Wasn't rear end colored directly on top of pencils?

Frank Quitely posted:

Now, I've had traditional inking on my pencils on The Invisibles, The Authority, and New X-Men - four or five different inkers on X-Men. And what I like about inking is the different weights of line that you get. But what I don't like about having different inkers working on my stuff is that very small changes to eyes and mouths and things, for example, can really change an expression altogether. So the type of digital inking that Jamie Grant's been doing for me, what happens is that I draw the pencils to a very tight finish – I pencil them in blue-line first, and then I effectively "ink" with graphite pencils on top of that. Jamie then takes that finished linework, scans it, and puts it into Photoshop.

Now you know when you do a photocopy, you can do a really light copy or a really dark one – with the light one, some of the thinner lines are going to break up; and with the dark one, lines that are close together are going to clog together. So he does a light and a dark scan, and blends the two of them. And what I like about that is that it's actually still my linework that's there, and facial expressions and so on don't change. What I'm not as keen on is that you don't get the different weight of lines that you do with brushes and pens. So it's swings and roundabouts, really.

from this interview with Quitely: http://www.denofgeek.com/comics/119685/the_den_of_geek_interview_frank_quitely.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Bad art:

Juan Jose Ryp

I think I agree that Ryp is bad. I think. I just read the Frank Miller Robocop trade that this panel comes from and it often had sequencing issues. It wasn't unreadable but the action was hard to follow. He tries to imitate Geoff Darrow (which considering the similarities between Robocop and the Miller/Darrow Hard Boiled makes him look bad), but he misses the important things which make that style work. It's like the worst aspects of Darrow's style fused with Jim Lee. There's a couple of panels that I actually thought were outstanding such as one in which Robocop punches through a brick wall. Great sense of motion conveyed. But he draws everything to look so grotesque. When drawing things that are meant to be grotesque it works, but he fails to really understand the idea of comic art as conveying information so too much gets drawn the same. As a result his panels are cluttered and hard to discern. Ugh.