Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
I am not exaggerating when I say that Inaki Miranda's art in Birds of Prey 9 and 10 is the worst art I've ever seen in a printed comic.

Click here to view the full image

Click here to view the full image

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

OldMemes posted:

This is his take on Deadpool (well, the Deadpool Corps). Bear in mind, he was the one who created the character....

It looks like he stopped drawing when he got to the bottom inch of the image and the colourist had to make it up.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
DC used to have all of those origins things on their site but it doesn't look like it's there anymore. Some of them had pretty neat art.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
I love Maguire; I think the main problem there is the colourist. Those colours look like poo poo. Unfortunately, most of Maguire's work these days seems to be coloured like this.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
For comparison, here is Maguire with a competent colourist. All from Formerly Known As The Justice League (unfortunately, I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League went right back to having poo poo colours). Also note that the exaggerated faces Maguire draws work a lot better when the writing is actually funny.

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 8, 2013

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
I could be wrong, but I think your sample of Year One was actually from an earlier recolouring of the book, which was necessary due to it no longer being printed on newsprint and was approved by Mazzucchelli. The recent reprint of the book that he disapproved of had other issues like low quality images, a redesigned cover, and being printed on glossy paper. In fact, I don't think this version was actually recoloured, because I found this quote from Mazzucchelli clarifying the issue:

quote:

No, just inferior production values [compared to the previous design]. And the re-coloring is only of the cover. The interior is Richmond’s color, but printed from corrupted, out-of focus digital files.

So those were two different problems.

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 2, 2013

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Why is it that so many of these recoloring jobs take the original crisp high-craftsmanship linework and completly obscure it with a bunch of cribbing from smeary photo-manip style like Greg Horn's? Uggghghghg.

The other problem with these recolouring jobs is that they always remove any colour cast, colouring every scene as if they were uniformly lit with D50 lighting. It makes everything so bland and just ruins the atmosphere. Plus, colourists working with limited palettes had to pay attention to colour theory, whereas most modern colourists clearly don't give any thought into which colours look good together. With superhero comics, this is a big problem since a page of characters in different brightly coloured spandex usually looks awful without the colours being muted by a strong colour cast.

Like Endless Mike said, recolouring is often necessary (eg, one of the problems with the new version of Year One was that the colours weren't optimized for glossy paper) but I wish they would at least attempt to keep the tone of the original colours.

Now for something less lovely, the colours in The Flash look pretty good.

And the spot colour style of Darwyn Cooke's Parker books

Especially in the Confessions Weekly part of the second book (see the second image)

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 2, 2013

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The covers for Forever Evil are...

The teen titans look like they're just passed out drunk.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

Koramei posted:

When you're a professional artist though it's not so okay. Especially for a cover. Anatomy is hard to learn but there are rules and once you understand them, almost any pose, in any physique, is completely doable. People should be studying from examples for their entire life, but not copying from them for every pose. In regards to lighting and fabric and poo poo, lay that out in real life and take a picture- although that's something that, even in these traced examples, the artists manage to do themselves.

That's not true at all. Using photo references is completely acceptable—and even encouraged—both in and outside of the comic book industry. Even having a perfect understanding of human anatomy, photo references are useful for drawing realistic poses (knowing anatomy doesn't mean you know what people look like when they're parasailing or how hands are positioned when holding a gun) and for drawing figures at different angles (foreshortening is hard). That said, if you're using references extensively, it would probably be better to use your own photos or stock photos meant for reference, rather than movie stills or whatever.

Photo references are also important for drawing backgrounds and objects. Most people can't draw the white house or a printing press completely from memory.

As for faces, that's a bit trickier. There are definitely ethical—and probably legal—problems with using someone's likeness without their permission. Having a face inspired by an actor is fine but it probably shouldn't look too similar/recognizable.

Whether or not you like Adam Hughes' art, here's a good example from him on how he uses photo references: http://adamhughes.deviantart.com/art/Imagine-FX-67-How-To-196343843

As for tracing, while that is a pretty tacky thing to do for an artist, I can understand the temptation to do that when you have to spew out a bunch of pages monthly. If you must trace, at least do that with your own photos and for the love of god, don't trace other people's art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

Koramei posted:

You either misunderstood me or I worded it terribly 'cause you just said the exact same thing as me? :confused: Study from references your entire life, but don't copy them.

Oh, I thought you meant that photo references were only acceptable for those learning and that professionals shouldn't need to use references at all. I think the misunderstanding stems from different interpretations of what "copying" means. :)