Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

I decided to find out more about this crazy rear end comic and whoa hey:

My favorite part is that Barkley goes from being Godzilla-sized back to human-sized and on a plane in between panels with zero explanation given.

Also, "Godzilla got busy" is probably the best narration box in the history of the medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that anybody with "Hulk" in their name is gonna be pretty buff, just... check out Whilce Portacio's Red She-Hulk in this week's Incredible Hulk #7.

:stare: God drat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stagger_Lee posted:

Illyana if you don't put down a stepping disc and trap the Avengers in limbo until they behave themselves the Black Panther is going to punch you super hard. Don't swing your sword at him it will not work.

Well, she already put Doc Strange in limbo/Mephisto's realm/some other hellish place. Of course, I'm long past expecting Doctor Strange to win a fight in an Avengers book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Check this guy out in Ultimates #8:

You can just hear the BWWUUUUH?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but check out this scene from Battle Scars #2. Marcus Johnson Nick Fury has called in his Army buddy, Cheese Agent Coulson (Actually, I'm okay with that change, Cheese is a stupid loving nickname) for a little help hunting down Taskmaster.

Little does Marcus know that Cheese has a superpower. Between pages, he can grow a full beard!

Seriously though, this is the same scene. Cheese goes from having 5 o' clock shadow to a goatee (notice he also loses his sideburns) in one page. So... bad art? Bad editing? You decide!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Uh. Let me see if I follow his logic:
"An actual super-villain tried to kill me, but Captain America saved me! Samuel L. Jackson in an eyepatch wanted to put me into protective custody, but I said 'no' by way of loving up six of his boys. Wanna help me kill a guy?"

Is that about right?

Yep, Battle Scars is preeetty stupid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh neat, this Night of Owls crossover is gonna have highly trained assassins fight the inmates of Arkham. This'll be pretty coo-WHOA!

poo poo, Aaron Cash, what'd Tony Daniel do to your face? From Detective Comics #9.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wonder Woman #9 features this lovely artwork. Check out Zola here. No, she's not a shapeshifter, although I wouldn't blame you for assuming she is based on this page.

My favorite part is the last panel, where her neck just inflates. Man, that baby weight'll get you, huh?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Here's Power Girl making a weird pouty face in Worlds' Finest #2:

Maybe it's just me, but something just seems off about that face.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Arkillo looks like he just got out of bed and is stretching while yawning.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Hippo posted:

Who cares if super-strong heroes and villains look buff or not? Spidey can lift 10 tons but he doesn't look like the Ultimate Warrior.

No, but I wouldn't complain one bit if Spider-Man did look like him.

"What if the Ultimate Warrior gained spider powers?" is a comic I'd read the poo poo out of.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

If we're to disregard the real reasons they are given muscles, Superman's alien physiology easily handwaves away a lot of things, like how the lenses of his eyes can focus unimaginably far while never being any bigger than an average human's. Maybe he doesn't need to work as hard at building muscles as we do or his body works like a regular human's up to a certain point past which Kryptonian super blood takes over and provides the rest of his strength or abilities.

I like this theory because it accounts for animated Jor-El also being built like a brick shithouse despite being a scientist.

Kryptonians are just burly dudes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Hey Magneto.
Hey Doom.
Any idea what we're doing here?
Nope.
Are we supposed to be here? It says "Heroes" above us.
Still no clue.

"So... I hear you're an X-Man now. How's that going for ya?"
"Well you know there's only like 200 of us so I figured we oughta stay close. It's actually pretty nice, though I don't like that Summers kid bossing me around."
"So, you are planning to heel turn again, right? We've all been missing you at the company picnic."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FF #20: Artist Nick Dragotta draws the funniest face I've ever seen on Black Bolt.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat, you know an artist is good when he makes a cover that makes me want to read the Clone Saga.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't have access to a decent computer right now, but somebody needs to post the first page of Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E #12 because it is atrocious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, they both had influence on the original design I think?

Anyway, here is some art I appreciated from The Shade #11.

I really like the art in The Shade, except for the faces. They're just... weird looking in a way I can't really explain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Man, it's easy to forget Uatu used to be huge. I mean, he's still drawn as being huge, but he's always got a giant head on a relatively slim frame. Original Uatu was freakin' jacked, man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darth Nat posted:

My favorite part about this is that there are all these fantastical locations, and then... "To shopping center."

Just makes me think of Thor taking the Avengers on a tour of Asgard, then at the end adding "Please exit through the gift shop" like a Disney worker.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Steve Dillon's art on Avenging Spider-Man #11 is atrocious. I just cannot stand those faces. A page, for reference:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

That map never fails to make me smile whenever I see it. It also always reminds me to start a band named Kanga Rat Murder Society one day.

"United States of Lions" seems like it'd work much better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Also bonus Baxter Building

"Recording Studio"? Ben and Johnny got a side project goin' in case this whole super-heroin' biz doesn't pan out?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Okay I know a lot of people like Chris Burnham but how can you look at this poo poo from Batman Inc #5 and tell me it's good?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
World's Finest #10: What's wrong with your faaaaaace?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Why is it that so many of these recoloring jobs take the original crisp high-craftsmanship linework and completly obscure it with a bunch of cribbing from smeary photo-manip style like Greg Horn's? Uggghghghg.

Probably just because it sells well. As to why that is, who can only say?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what the gently caress happened to Wolverine in All-New X-Men #10, but it ain't pretty. Stuart Immonen must've had a very localized seizure or something. The weird part is, it's just Wolverine. Everyone and everything else looks pretty okay.

(There's some way worse panels where Immonen goes for a close-up shot, and the face is still way off, but these are the only ones I could find with a quick GIS of "All New X-Men 10 wolverine bad art face")

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

That's not bad art, that's a choice on how to depict him. Wolverine was never supposed to be some handsome guy with perfect features and really only turned that way when Jackman was cast to play him. He's a short, hairy, angry Canadian. Go back and look at how Byrne drew him.

I guess? It's just he's not drawn like a short hairy Canadian. He's drawn like some sort of ape. Here's some more examples I dredged up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I guess my last one was really "Good/Bad Comic Art" since it got such mixed reactions. Here's something I hope I can get a more universal "What the gently caress?" on. Cap, what's wrong with your faaaaaace?

Age of Ultron 6

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Chompers posted:

Pretty sure Unfunnies wasn't meant to be a movie.

Unfunnies is a goddamn atrocity. It is somehow a simultaneous crime against comics, cartoons, writing, and the very thought of storytelling.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 25, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god there is actually a "Draw Furries" book. :psyduck:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

He's right up there with Liefeld when it comes to designing new characters:

GEDDIT FLADE HURHUR FLAAAAAAAAAADE GEDDIT

Hahaha a healing factor that heals his disfigured face wrong? A background as a samurai knight? His name is WFlade? This motherfucker literally slammed Wolverine and Deadpool together then ran them through a lovely fantasy filter.

Here, for content, I always love the title pages of the Flash's comics these days. Here's #21's:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 1, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The best part is that even Mignola has Cannonball just flying somewhere away from everyone else.

"I'm goin' out for dinner, anybody want anything SON OF A BITCH why didn't you guys tell me the photographer was here?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is that Desaad? :stare:

No, it's Brother Blood.

VVV: Oh, that's right, forgot. :doh:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 16, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

Is comic book dialogue nowadays that melodramatic, or is does it make more sense in context? Because man, that's some bona-fide Silver-Age melodramatic hamminess there! Lovely! :allears:

Not unless you're Thor. And no, it doesn't really make that much sense. The context is Supergirl basically got killed but her consciousness survived inside a planet made of nanobots and, beating the odds, she's reconstructing a giant body for herself. I guess that tends to make one start to power trip and talk really melodramatically.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you need a laugh this week, check out David Finch drawing Forever Evil #3

That panel 2 is seriously the funniest loving thing. Panel 4 being a close second.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This isn't really "bad art" per se, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it since there's not a "Post Nitpicky Bullshit" thread. Anyway, check out this panel from Green Lantern Annual 2:

Notice anything wrong? Your eyes might glance over it the first time, but if you look on the left where it says "Green Lantern", the logo is sideways. How do you gently caress that up? It's a Green Lantern comic, the symbol is on like every page, goddamn. It's not a weird stylistic choice, as Guy's logo on the other side of the page is upright as it should be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
God, it looks like the cover of a trashy romance novel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frankly, I'm just concerned with Wonder Woman's underwear. Those are riding up, like, way too high.

Veib posted:

True, it doesn't even have Fabio in it.

If there was ever a time for 90s Superman's mullet...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wolvorine posted:

All I can see here is Superman's "Yep, I just nailed that" smug-face. It's just so damned smarmy.

That greenish glow on his thigh is coming from Hal Jordan swooping in from off-panel to bro-fist him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love the art in The Flash so much.

I especially love the various ways they always work in the title into every issue.