Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, pretty much:

Dinosaurs= always cool no matter what age/sex/race/culture you are.
Always :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

t3h z0r posted:

The Japanese have a talent for rendering destruction in black and white. He's probably been mentioned, but I love Tsutomu Nihei for this reason.

His comic BLAME in particular. As it progresses it seems to transition from a more traditional manga look into an almost charcoal like abstraction, depicting both silent traversal across limitless constructs and the godlike destruction that punctuates it. Both serve the theme of humans being expendable vermin in a backdrop beyond their evolution and understanding. It's one of the more haunting and nihilistic stories I've read, told mostly without dialogue, and I revisit it often.

God, BLAME.

Reading that when I was younger shaped me so much as an artist and a storyteller. His backdrops are just astounding, which is understandable, since Nihei was an architect before foraying into the comics industry.

"Haunting" is the perfect word to use for the visuals.