Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storm is clearly checking out Jean's boobs. Also, Storm is the only woman there who's boobs are smaller than her head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The more I look at Rogue's body pose the more I'm struggling with making sense of it.

Some more Thorgal covers:

Kinda :nws:https://imgur.com/0AFIJkV

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 31, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

goatface posted:

Is Thorgal as pretty in the interiors?

I think so:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Have you ever checked out Arthur Ranson?

Yeah, I really liked his art in Judge Anderson.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

all great poo poo but seriously what is up with that weak rear end title logo on the cover, is that a European thing or what?

They should've gone for the Xtreme X-Men title logo style.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

The Thorgal logo and those Aztec snakes were prob from the first issue when someone threw it together and it's sitting in a bag at the bottom of a drawer in the printer's shop.

It's actually norse dragon heads. Thorgal is a viking fantasy comic.

Flesh Forge posted:

It just makes me sad to see these gorgeous painted covers with poo poo rear end 96 point Times New Roman pasted over them :smith:

Can't be helped I'm afraid:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 4, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Aaaaaa that Bilal cover is somehow even worse
it's like someone ran a GBS thread "Ruin Great Paintings With MS Sans Serif"

e: not even exaggerating

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Here's some nice interior art from Thorgal and Bilal:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bessantj posted:

He's a guy with thousands of snakes inside his body that he can turn into stuff like ropes and ladders and so on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm so glad they were too expensive for me back then.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some more cool Thorgal covers:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

The flashback sequence in today's Marauders were by Klaus Janson. Janson inked parts of Bill Sienkiewicz's first run on Moon Knight, and later inked/finished nearly all of Frank Miller's Daredevil run. Sienkiewicz also drew parts of Miller's 1980s DD stuff (the Love & War GN, Elektra Assassin) which was where Spider-Verse got its inspiration for Kingpin.

If anything it's toned way down:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pitwar posted:

Five Years is the coming together of all of his stuff, so SiP, Echo, Motor Girl and Rachel Rising. I'll buy anything Moore does, he's just so good.

It's almost impossible to buy his stuff though. Everything from SiP to Rachel Rising is out of print. Unless you can read german.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I think that's just part of J. H. Williams's approach when he's left to his own devices. I haven't seen much of his work, but it was something he did in Promethea too.

And also in Batwoman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

People should be allowed to not like things. For example, I think this cover by Kirby is bad:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FMguru posted:

Another problem with appreciating Kirby is that so much of his stuff - so many of his innovations - have become part of the standard way superhero stories are told. If you're not up on your history, his stuff looks derivative of the people who came after him and were influenced by him. It's like a student in a freshman literature class complaining that Shakespeare's plays are full of cliches.
I've never really understood this argument. Shakespeare isn't good because he invented a lot of story telling devices, he's good because he was so good at writing that it still holds up today.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"What are your super powers?"
"I have two guns."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

I mean, the man's basically created for creating the prefix "un-".

I tend to believe that "William Shakespeare" is basically Aesop or Mother Goose (that, or he was the face of a whole "shop" like Rembrandt or Hans Zimmer or... Drake), but even if you don't give one person credit for everything, you gotta give that person credit for spotting talent.
There's no doubt that Shakespeare took from others because copyright didn't exist back then. But there's little evidence that Shakespeare didn't write the plays himself. The idea that someone else did it or that it was a group project is fairly modern.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

As both an IK of BSS and somebody who frequently teaches Shakespeare seminars I am begging you all to drop this derail before I have two aneurysms at once, unless you have some good or bad comic book panels with Shakespeare in them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Snagt" that's the iconic sound that Wolverine's claws make? Right?
Also, it can't be healthy to have veins so big that I could fit my thumb in them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

40Inch posted:

Is this okay to say?

I appreciate Terry Moore's art and I think it's good.

But I've never liked Terry Moore's art.

It's okay to not like things.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

The only old punisher I remember is where Frank goes blackface for a few issues. That was weird.

Considering that the Punisher is a relatively grounded character he has been through some weird poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

John Mirra posted:

At one point in those early Punisher comics someone mentions that he's killed thousands of drug dealers and crime is still rampant and maybe they're also victims of their socio economic circumstances, bullets aren't the answer, and maybe something more should be done by politicians and the Punisher just goes 'welp, the war continues'.

It's pretty much openly stated that Punisher isn't doing what he's doing to reduce crime.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But the Punisher doesn't want to try and affect change from the inside, he wants to shoot criminals.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Y'all know Frank was a cop, right?

Just the Ultimate version.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL

and Batman.

Man of Bats.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Killing people are also traumatizing:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

DK II started well but there is a midway point where the artwork just became so freaking block like that it was hard to even figure out what was going on in the panels. Just weird shapes instead of people.