Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
At that time in the 90s, even good artists were imitating the Liefeld style because that was what seemed to be selling. I mean, look at JRJR's Cable art from that period. They were capable of more and better, but their job was to get people to buy their comics.

As for actual content, here's Hyperion out-uglying the Hulk, from a What If issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Unfit For Space posted:

That's not from What If; that's from Defenders #113, one of the first comics I ever bought. A huge fight scene on a yellow background, how could anybody pass this cover up!

drat. Sorry about that, apparently I mis-labelled it at some point.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I can't read the clothes. What do they say?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's a preview page from today's Batman/Superman where Jae Lee returns on art.

Give that boy a New Gods comic to draw.

What's with that random solid pink background in the last panel? What's it trying to convey?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I was told of some story - but have yet to track it down - that came out not long after Byrne pulled that bullshit that detailed how The Wizard had hit Sandman with a brain-scrambling ray or something and convinced him that his attempts at reforming were just an evil plot, because The Wizard missed his old buddy from the Frightful Four and wanted his friend back.

I really hope that story actually does exist because it gives Sandman's heel turn some actual dramatic heft.

That story does exist. eter Parker: Spider-Man #12 by Tom Brevoort.
This article has a rundown of the character's history and bad guy/good guy status.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Joe Fisto posted:

I love Rod Reis on New Mutants. His Shadow King is truly a menacing figure. Reis is like the lovechild of Phil Noto and Bill Sienkiewicz.

I was gonna say the colorist also did well, but apparently Rod Reis did that too. Good stuff.
What's the current status quo with superhero comics and separating sketches, inking and colors anyway? I know digital tools help a lot, but it still sounds like a ton of work for one person.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I considered posting this in the Funny Panels thread instead.
The art is obviously bad on many levels, but the :effort: composition and lack of background just make everything worse.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Y'all know Frank was a cop, right?

Nah, 616 Frank went from high school to seminary to the marines. His family died when he was on leave and then his career path changed to "vigilante".

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Deadly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Madkal posted:

This is really cool. Who is the artist?

Juan Ferreyra!
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Juan_Ferreyra

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Kulkasha posted:

Bagley noooo

With Stunner's anatomy, there's at least the excuse that she's literally supposed to represent the unattainable ideal of a woman with horrible self-image issues, created as a hard-light hologram.
Not a good excuse, but it's there nevertheless.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
So the art by Eder Messias in Spider-Man: The Lost Hunt is mostly good but this elephant is, uh

Elephant teeth do not work like that! At all!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Behold, Behemoth #1

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
The Bendis Daredevil run could maybe be up there with Miller and Nocenti if Maleev’s photo-traced art wasn’t threatening to drag the whole comic down with it.

I’m usually not this charitable with Bendis’s comics, the writing works better here than in most of his other works.

Like, what if these scenes were drawn by Miller or JRJR in their primes, or a modern top tier artist, is what I'm thinking.

EDIT:
I actually think Maleev is competent and the art works well with the colors in the talkier scenes, but any scene with action or a more complicated scenario suffers.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 2, 2023

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I just really like the clever lettering here. It's not Walt Simonson, but it's still integrated in a fun way.

Source: Daredevil (2011) #5
Art by [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcos_Mart%C3%ADn_(cartoonist)]Marcos Martin[/url]

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
If you think comics artists are bad with North American geography, they're even worse about other countries. Most of the time, I don't blame them, it's not exactly an easy job.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I feel like I'm alone in never really digging Steve Ditko.

He has his moments here and there but I think my main issue with his stuff is that it's all drawn like a play. Ground level 90 degree angles, not much in the way of depth or visceral action and really kind of boring compositions. He doesn't crop or variate the size of his panels nor use dynamic perspective and everything looks like it takes place on a small stage. I don't think his line work, use of contrast, suggestion of motion/action or even his panel by panel storytelling are anything particularly compelling either.

I mean, he's fine in as much that I can read a page and know what's happening but there's nothing that really snaps and his...rhythm (?), I guess, is a bit dull, especially compared to his contemporaries like Jack Kirby or Steranko where the character's movement jumps off every page. Almost everything looks "flat" to me and he's not much on backgrounds either

I've tried with Ditko (and it took me a while to appreciate Kirby) but I think he's a little overrated.

Ditko was at his best when establishing the look for Doctor Strange comics, I think. I do agree that his other work isn't as interesting in comparison to Kirby and Steranko.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

HorseHeadBed posted:

What is this and how do I see more of it?

Herbie Popnecker, The Fat Fury
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbie_Popnecker

It's an absurdist comedy comic from 1958-1965. As for where to find it legitimately, it was collected by Dark Horse in 2008-2009.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 9, 2024

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I hate the lettering here. The art is okay, no complaints about that per se, but the letterer just keeps overemphasizing random words in a way that is completely at odds with the realistic art style.
Source: Vectors #1
Artist: Rubén Gil
Lettering: Lettersquids (that's how they're credited)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Minister of Sound posted:

I work full-time as a letterer. In my experience, when poo poo like this happens, it's usually at the writer's behest and the editor will have their back. I suspect that's what happened here. If a letterer tried this on their own, they'd probably be replaced.

Oh dear. Well, I hope the writer changes their mind, then.