Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shai-Hulud posted:

My kids (6 year old girl and 4 year old boy) been watching the Spider-Man cartoon on Disney+ and while both are into it I wish they made a superhero cartoon show for little girls. Something like Ms Marvel would be perfect for this but nope, only dudes get their own show.

Edit: anyone know if the Marvel rising cartoons they got an the D+ need like any comic knowledge or something? Cause they got a lot of teamups and stuff which would be a neat way to introduce the kids to a couple more characters.

If you don’t mind anime, Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure are classics for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's one reason I kind of admire Squaresoft and their decision to make all Final Fantasy characters from IX onward insanely difficult to accurately cosplay by adding 1000% tiny metal gewgaws to every outfit or utilizing fabric that forms and drapes in ways no earthly fabric ever could. It's a weaponized cosplay arms race.

FFXIV designers actually consulted cosplayers in the company about whether the clothes where actually wearable or not, which is fun

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darthemed posted:

Silver Surfer #1 (1982)
Pencils: John Byrne
Inks: Tom Palmer

Me, pre and post midnight snack

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's with surfer hair Goku there?

I’m pretty sure that’s Legion, Professor X’s very powerful very unstable son

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Witch Hat Atelier is gorgeous

The author, Kamome Shirohima, also does covers for DC and Marvel

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 19, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was going through my old pictures for reasons and forgot this pic of a “cosplay calendar” for sale around this time last year at my local comics store

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How exactly is that "cosplay"

My guess is that it’s a way to get around copyright

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
How do you folks get pictures of the pages you want to post? I’ve got some manga I’d love to share but would have to take pictures with my phone

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

If reading a cbr export the page
Use the windows clip to just grab a panel
Right click save then upload to imgur if reading on a scan site
Use the page share function on my tablet app

I am reading a physical book

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Oh well, I apologize for the pic quality in advance.

Ran and the Gray World is absolutely gorgeous

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
When you know why people buy your books
Took this pic at my local comics store, so I wasn’t able to figure out its name. I wasn’t sure about posting this but there’s something about the anatomy of that feels really off here

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lurdiak posted:

The problem with that drawing is that the upper half of the picture has the character's body angled to highlight her boobs (obviously) but then the bottom half continues as if it was a normal 3/4 view. It makes her look like she has a tiny head.

Also her arms are inexplicably missing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Flesh Forge posted:

I do wanna say that aside from the tacky content and the ridiculous boobs/butt pose there's some great craftwork in that cover and the art in the comic itself is rather good for the genre :shrug:

You can’t just drop that you read the comic and not say what it’s like

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Flesh Forge posted:

By the way that Patriotika cover was by "Chuck Art" who has a really great Artstation gallery

https://www.artstation.com/chuckart

Sure there's cheesecake but there's also really magnificent stuff like this

mad respect for tradart process

You really undersold the amount of cheesecake there

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Flesh Forge posted:

:randpop:
e: that's a link to a pirated scan, which you shouldn't do and should probably rehost, but wow

Manga is in a weird situation. Some quick searching shows that Princess Candle isn’t available in English, and pirating/scanlating is often how manga finds its initial Western audience. A lot of manga only get brought over officially because the popularity of the scans prove that their is an audience for it

Like, I’m all about supporting the official release (I have two bookshelf full of manga volumes), it’s just that pirating isn’t really black and white here

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Push El Burrito posted:

It literally is with manga.

Ha

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fairly Odd Parents guy drew some Attack on Titan characters

https://twitter.com/realhartman/status/1363174484262330370

He’s being accused of tracing this https://twitter.com/028ton/status/980788218571382785?s=21
But I think that the drawing is lovely enough to not be a trace and just be using it as a reference

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

muscles like this! posted:

A non-ironic Demver.

For those who haven't seen it:

aaaaaaAAAAAAAA

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Demon Days: X-Men is gorgeous as expected:

Who’re the artists on this? I’d love to see their work

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Codependent Poster posted:

Like I don't get how he's worse now than he was then.

Some artists don’t evolve, they degenerate. For example, at the risk of opening Pandora’s box, Ken Penders.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

obi_ant posted:

What does the term cheesecakey mean?

Female version of beefcake. It’s intentionally drawing women with big boobs/butts in sexy poses

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s something about anime inspired western art of the (I presume) 2000’s that just unsettles me. It’s like they had the basics of the style explained to them (big eyes and mouth) and didn’t actually see any pictures

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Pencils: Jamal Peppers
Inks: Terry Austin
Colors: Matt Herms

The rain is going directly into his eyes and he just does not care, huh

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I believe this is from New Mangaverse: Rings of Fate

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

It's super generic anime but honestly I kind of embarrassingly like that except for how Captain Animerica's stripes go halfway up her boobs

I wouldn’t call it generic anime, the generic stuff from Japan at the time looked better than this.

Libra posted:

I'm guessing that was from that era of 'Blending American Comic Books and Manga* to Create Something Significantly Worse Than Either'
*or whatever american comics guys imagine manga to be

in which case it's far, far from the worst or ugliest.

Yeah the stuff from the US that was anime/manga inspired was often pretty awful.

But if you know what’s the worst and the ugliest, please do post it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I wish I could find a digital version so I didn’t have to post pictures I took with my phone but man, Go With the Clouds, North-by-Northwest by Aki Irie is gorgeous. Manga, right-to-left, etc

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kirby did a lot of goos work but Eternals was not one of them

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Man the “corrected” art looks so much worse. What a bad call by Marvel editorial

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cant cook creole bream posted:

I gotta say, the correction looks better. Soulless sliteyes isn't really what I want to see when I read a comic.

The original art has so much more warmth and life in it, I don’t get this at all!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah, the original art is clearly not intending to convey that the dark iris is the entirety of the eye. The white of the eye *is* there, Greg simply made the deliberate choice not to explicitly draw the boundary of the lower eyelid and trusted in the viewer to composite the entire image. It works well. The redraw just has an unsettling, uncanny-valley effect.

And you can see where the lower eyelid ends because of the shading! It’s a great piece of art and it’s a shame that Marvel changed it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Joe Fisto posted:

Well, here's something cool. A while back I bought this piece of original art from Juan Ferreyra. I've been a fan of his since Colder was released back in 2012. I bought the issue of Harley Quinn: Black, White and Red that he illustrated and I loved it. Saw that he was selling the art and I had to get a page, the price seemed reasonable for what it was.

I liked his interpretation of Ivy and Joker, and I got some good shots of them on this page.

Anyway, here it is.

This guy drawing Poison Ivy: “it’s important that everyone see that she’s not wearing a bra”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty sure, yeah. Adams is kind of a god for being the first comic artist to solidly bring a realistic style to the medium, a little like Alex Ross in his day. He was a bit like the anti Kirby where everything on the page looked like it used photo reference and was done by a guy who teaches an anatomy class rather than the overly stylized approach of The King. For a long while there in 70's and 80's, "how real you could make it look" was the benchmark of quality work.

This is basically true for American's overall taste in art.

Yeah and I kind of hate it! This is obviously kind of a dumb opinion but I feel like at a certain point realism in art is just abdicating having an art style

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Perez was surrounded by loved ones and had a huge outpour of support from fans telling him how much they loved him and his work before he died. All death is a tragedy but when I die, I hope to die half as well as him

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The art in Drifting Dragons is gorgeous

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lobok posted:

Guy who has only read the Link to the Past manga: Getting a lot of 'Link to the Past' vibes from this....

Drifting Dragons actually takes a lot of cues from early Ghibli, especially Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

Speaking of gorgeous art, more folks should read the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga. It’s made by Hayao Miyazaki himself and goes way beyond the scope of the movie

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

I'm not much of a Batfamily reader most of the time, but I've been making an exception for Batgirls pure and alone because the art is spectacular.

Batgirls #7
Pencils: Robbi Rodriguez
Colours: Rico Renzi

I like this exaggerated, scratchy style with bright colours in its own right, but I also think it's a great fit for the book. The main characters are younger and more rough-and-tumble than Batman himself, so it makes sense for the artstyle to be a bit looser and more vivid to reinforce that. It's great! :pcgaming:

This looks fantastic

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Codependent Poster posted:

It's kind of rough and cartoony, but I think it's great in showing kinetic action and character expressions.

I know you didn’t mean it that way but there’s a part of me that cringes when a comic is described as “cartoony, but good”. Comics are supposed to be cartoony! Especially superhero comics, where a man dressed up as a bat fights an evil clown

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
No, I think cartoony here is the right word to use, I just think that superhero comics could stand to be drawn a lot less realistic. I don’t hugely like realism, especially in comics. I think comics lose a lot of charm when they’re drawn in a realistic style

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cant cook creole bream posted:

I never really understood that part, are those archaic phrases?

A pony tail is a type of hairstyle and a cotton tail is a type of rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Children of the Sea by Daisuke Igarashi is gorgeous