Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

ChuckDHead posted:

(Oh, the artist is apparently the now-infamous Ken Penders, who I did not know was an artist as well as a writer. I almost feel a bit bad going after his art since his life seems to have kind of bottomed out lately due to the ruination his career over his insistance on waging legal war on an entity he cannot concievably beat over the rights to a bunch of derivative characters that it makes no sense for him to own the rights to.)

First, you may as well just wait until they upload the full run of when Ian Flynn (fellow goon ElPottoGrande, if you have archives search for his BSS thread) took over writing duties. Most of what came before isn't worth bothering with, other than most of the Knuckles series. The last five or so years trumps most of what came before, all the way back to 1993.

Second, be glad you haven't seen just how bad the art could get across the various titles in that franchise. Of course, one of the freelancers who worked on it once remarked that Archie as a publisher had among-the-lowest page rates in the industry so that would explain that. Why Sega allowed it is another matter but I think Archie had to pay them in order to put out anything Sonic-related so maybe they didn't care.

Third - as for your guilt, don't feel bad. His "writing" is even more mediocre than his art; what little he has actually created himself does not excuse the work he turned in which was outright copied from other, more popular movies and stories. The fact that he was allowed to work on a licensed book from an established publisher for so long is rather stunning . The fact that he made a living turning in poor quality, almost sub-professional work for more than a decade (and nothing else at all for any other publisher despite being a freelancer) and then let his ego run amok to the point where he destroyed his own career in ways his mediocrity hadn't...well, even if he had legit talent he still would've wrecked his career. The one thing you could say about him was that when it came to fan interactions he was always patient, polite, and took plenty of 'sperging knocks while turning the other cheek. Of course in retrospect that's probably because he KNEW he was a D-lister in the industry anyway, so no point in brushing off the irate readers of the all-ages videogame-based comic meal ticket that's your once source of income. Even if a sizable number of said readers are hardcore furries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Wow, Newsarama's article says that he worked on Jughead's Time Police. Too bad when I was 7 and had a 3-issue subscription I didn't care - but I recall that being a better-than-normal Archie book with good artwork. At least he went at a good age I guess.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Another problem with that Psylocke piece is that her abdomen is far too narrow, like she's had excessive liposuction or something. Even by "thin" model standards there's too little there and it catches the eye with how off it is.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Head disconnection is running rampart throughout the Marvel Universe

(Amazing Spider-Man #671)

And that left hand. :stare:

"On no U DID-N'T!!!" face, right there. Hopefully not to become a meme.