Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Art Adams haters can step out.

Not one of his better pieces, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

What would be one his better pieces then?

The last one is a GOOD example of how that Scarlet Witch cover should have come out.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 10, 2011

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It looks like he used the same layout for that and the Scarlet Witch.

Yep, one was published and the other wasn't. So that's probably why the Scarlet Witch cover looks worse than his usual stuff, and worse than the Magik image.

Another:

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 10, 2011

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Liefeld's newest monstrosity:

Just look at Dove's hips.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

That is due to him never going to a nascar race and he never watches youtube. He also does not have a myspace page.

Actually he could have a myspace page now and I think it would make him even more out of touch!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

These pages come from Supergirl #11 (2006). Art by Joe Benitez. I think this guy's style is, overall, OK, but his rendition of Supergirl just feels weird to me. He gives her a smaller jaw, giving her face a rounder appearance. The other thing is how shy and submissive she appears before Nightwing. Now, I know Nightwing is badass, but she has reckoned with people even bigger than him. Such as Batman.

I can see what he was trying for, exaggerating some features to make her look younger. But she comes across like a real life Bratz doll. The inker and colorist didn't do him any favors, either.

In fact, the color on those ChrisCross samples are really bad too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

From the latest FF issue:

(thanks Happy Noodle Boy!)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe he likes drawing Black Bolt with weird faces.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I had presumed that Dragotta was being posted as an example of good art :psyduck:

His art is good it's just he seems to have a habit of drawing bad Black Bolts.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think it's fairly clear he was experimenting or attempting to match his art with the tone of the story. His art can wildly vary from project to project and drawing Emma like that was a stylistic choice. And everyone draws bad faces from time to time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think anyone would be forcing the issue if several posters hadn't popped up to try to say it doesn't count as bad because they like the artist. "He had to rush it" is fine, "you're wrong for saying it's bad because you don't GET IT" is stupid.

I think everyone will agree it's bad, but saying "Was she also meant to seem vaguely human shaped? Because if so Kordey failed." is completely inaccurate. She is human shaped, an ugly human, but human shaped nonetheless.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That Gwen cover is gorgeous.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I like everything in that panel, except Batman and Scarecrow.

Even Scarecrow isn't that bad. Batman's anatomy is way bad, but other than that it's pretty good, I think.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I actually think that second picture might be Ron Lim. But I'll have to find my TPB to verify it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I don't know what the gently caress happened to Wolverine in All-New X-Men #10, but it ain't pretty. Stuart Immonen must've had a very localized seizure or something. The weird part is, it's just Wolverine. Everyone and everything else looks pretty okay.

(There's some way worse panels where Immonen goes for a close-up shot, and the face is still way off, but these are the only ones I could find with a quick GIS of "All New X-Men 10 wolverine bad art face")

That's not bad art, that's a choice on how to depict him. Wolverine was never supposed to be some handsome guy with perfect features and really only turned that way when Jackman was cast to play him. He's a short, hairy, angry Canadian. Go back and look at how Byrne drew him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Content: Phil Noto draws Jon Hamm as Superman

...and I wish this would be a TV show so bad :allears:

A good decision to stop just before reaching groin area, otherwise we'd have to see Superman drawn with more than just Jon Hamm's face likeness.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, there's really nobody like him.

For current artists, I'd say there is someone like Bachalo who is in a similar vein; he does things differently and nobody copies his style.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Since the start of the N52 his art has going to poo poo.

Who is inking him?

We already know the house color DC makes their colorists use doesn't help either.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I cannot figure out what the hell is going on with Quick's left leg.

And Bizarro looks terrible in that suit with the piping and it not being purple.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Artgerm's covers and pin-ups and promotional things are really great-looking. I don't think he's ever going to do interiors, but it seems like nowadays there are a lot of artists who don't really do interiors much if at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm so glad Marvel has done away with words on covers like that. "And there shall bean ending!"

Too bad DC still does that poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Alex Ross has done a variant for the relaunch of Daredevil. It's a bit of a given with Alex Ross but Matt Murdoch sure loves being in his Daredevil costume.

I love that cover and it also explains why Matt is a hit with the ladies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Not quite sure where this belongs, but apparently Greg Land isn't the only artist tracing wrestlers.

Miracleman #3 cover by JG Jones. Credit to Brandon Stroud on With Leather for catching it.

It's been a while since I read Miracleman. I forgot when he shits in his wife's bag, though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Drifter posted:

What's the point of editors and poo poo when they let stuff like this into their products? Are they too afraid to go to an artist and say "Hey, uh, hey there, Bob. You know, we're gonna need you to redraw those pictures for us. They suck. Really, really poor quality." Do they think they're going to cry?

This looks terrible. Everything about it.

It's not even saved by telling people it's 'stylized', it's so bad. But it is so bad it's funny. So it has that going for it.

Probably because it would cost more money to have the artist redo it/hire another artist than it's worth.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jae Lee still never learned how to draw backgrounds.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh man. This panel. The eyes. Iron Man's eyes not being far enough apart. Thor blocking Quicksilver's face. The random Hawkeye hand in the background. That composition is terrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Star Man posted:

When is that scratchy, sketchy kind of line drawing going to finally go away?

Well that's by Michael Turner, who's been dead for about 7 years or so. So there's also a good chance it was a sketch to start with.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Seeing Capullo's old X-Factor stuff recently was shocking. I'm so proud of his transcendence from Liefeldism.

I don't recall Capullo ever having a Liefeld influence or drawing X-Factor. He did Quasar and X-Force, and the style is pretty similar to what he does today. He had the stretch drawing Spawn where he took on some McFarlane characteristics but still kept his own style, but he's gotten away from that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is why you should like Karnak:

He was in the afterlife, saw the flaw in it, and used that flaw to come back to life.

Coming back to life involved bursting through the chest of an evil Inhuman who had the powers to catalog dead Inhumans' memories.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batman has no rear end.

Also he's missing a portion of his left leg. It should show in that white space under his arm.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Art Adams did do the Ms. Marvel one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

The 90's were a very special time and place to be a part of

That's done on purpose. Like it was said, Prime was actually a kid and that is what he thought a hero looked like, so when he became Prime he was this impossibly muscled figure because he was based off of supermodels and comic book characters.

Also, Bagley's art depends a lot on his inker. His pencils are pretty loose, which is what allows him to be so damned fast. But if he doesn't have an inker to tighten things up, it looks very sloppy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dsmif posted:

What happened to Psylocke's original body? is it still running around somewhere?

Last I knew it was inhabited by Kwannon. I think they might've then destroyed it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

funtax posted:

Look no further than some of the books that came out right at the end of his life, when Image founders were routinely inking his stuff. In general, they were doing it for noble reasons, but dear lord does that kind of inking not work with someone like Kirby.

I don't think the inking is too bad there. McFarlane is a pretty talented guy and I think his style meshes well with Kirby. I'd like to see it without the colors.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

:manning:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha holy poo poo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That Warcraft art is fine. Probably just as good as the lower tier big two comics.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I hate the lawnmower blade claws Wolverine wound up with. I've always liked the John Byrne ones. :colbert:

Those are bad. They look like they can't cut through anything and are only good for poking. Plus with the curve they shouldn't be able to retract!

Jim Lee's claws are a good combo of the two.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jim Lee's bodies are very limited, but I think he's still the person I think of most when someone talks about drawing superheroes. Because yeah, all of his characters look like superheroes; so that's his best feature and biggest weakness. Otherwise he's really talented with panel layouts and drawing action and even facial expressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

goatface posted:

I thought she was the dead one.

She died, then came back in Nova, and is now in limbo because some higher up saw she came back and didn't like it.