Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Plus, Steve Dillon draws "Angry Frank" better than just about anyone.

I really dig Steve Dillon's Punisher, but this is probably the best "Angry Frank" I've ever seen.

It's by Leandro Fernandez from Punisher Max, and that's Frank's face after learning on the news that a mobster has dug up his wife and child and pissed on their corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

I love his work - most of why I read Asterix was the art. Every feast and town scene had so much background stuff going on. Bard being choked, Dogmatix doing mischief, etc.

Agreed, and while the quality of the books dropped when Goscinny died, the art was still amazing. I was really sad to hear the French Government made Uderzo pay a huge amount of back-tax because they refuted his claim to be a co-author of the books because he "only" did the art.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

I kinda hope this was a one page "meanwhile" that was never addressed again in that issue or any other.

I've always liked Alan Davis but for me there's something a little "off" about his more recent work I can't quite put my finger on. I think it might be something about the coloring, it just feels a little too "shiny", and I actually far prefer his Excalibur stuff from the 80s.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

At first I thought you were being sarcastic and I thought this post was funny but then I realized it wasn't a joke and you should feel bad because everybody uses acronyms/abbreviations in real life.

Also, I hate JRJr's art for the most part. Seriously, this is hideous:

JRJR is one of those guys where sometimes (Uncanny X-Men) I think his work is horrible, and other times (The first 25 issues of the Thor relaunch) I think his work is amazing.

This image from Eternals made my jaw drop though:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

and this Kirby Inhumans piece.

Look at this beautiful thing, just look at it. Amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Who wrote the Avengers story where the Hulk goes on a rampage and they finally figure out the reason why is because he's horny and his "primitive brain" is reacting to this by trying to impress She-Hulk so they can have sex? Because I want to punch that writer in the dick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:stare: Aren't Banner and She-Hulk cousins...? Or did someone change that around on me?

They are, she even brings it up in the story, it's loving terrible.

Here's an article about it, and a couple of images to haunt your nightmares:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought his work on The Mighty Thor was exceptionally good (in particular the stuff with Thanos), and I quite liked his Spider-Man stuff. But the last few years his stuff has looked quite rushed/unfinished - I don't know if it's a scheduling thing, he just can't keep up anymore or maybe he just gets put in with inappropriate inkers/colorists, but that Avengers/X-Men stuff is atrocious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Madrox posted:

Woah hold on, Thanos showed up in Mighty Thor? Was it a flashback, or is he back from the cancer-verse?

Edit: Sorry for the derail, just curious.

This is back a decade or so ago in the Heroes Return (not reborn) reboot - It was written by the normally generic Dan Jurgens but the first 25 issues were really good (in my opinion). Issue 26 was this horrible loving drop in quality though and it just got worse from there.

Edit: Posted a couple of panels in the badass thread if you're interested - the art isn't quite as good as I remember but it is still a big improvement over his Avengers/X-Men stuff.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 21, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

That reminds me. I was on a nostalgia read of Maximum Carnage the other day when this happened:

Sorry for the cell phone pic. You probably don't want it to look any better.

Is that Sal Buscema? I don't know if he was just trying to differentiate from John Buscema's style or not but I always found his art hugely off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

A rare time when the guy has a better butt than the woman:

"Oh no! That PhreakTM's got my wife!" shouts Spider-Man on the cover, and Lil' Jerusalem gapes and decides he MUST buy it - Spider-Man is married? He's gotta find out more!

This was the first issue of a comicbook I ever bought for myself with my own money, and I have fond memories of it. It's one of the reasons I always feel irritated when I remember the whole,"Readers can't relate to a married Spider-Man!" thing. That poo poo got me buying!