Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

Paul Pope (from "One Hundred Percent"):

While I like Paul Pope in general he has this problem where characters he draws end up kind of... ugly. Not poorly drawn but just kind of ugly in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, The City? Both words capitalized? Do I sense a certain big blue loveable dumb-rear end being referenced? :allears:

The City is Ultimate Reed Richards' plan to conquer the world. He built it and then closed it off for a thousand years of accelerated time and when they reemerged they started loving over the world right quick with their advanced technologies.

(you should be reading Hickman's The Ultimates)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

al-azad posted:

Viz has been reprinting Vagabond in their VIZBIG format which is about 20% larger, contains three volumes in one, has some full color pages, better paper, and extras like character sketches. It's basically like getting a special edition of a graphic novel except they don't charge you out the rear end surprisingly.

It actually works out cheaper when you compare regular releases to the collections. Regular volumes are $8-10 while the VIZBIG volumes (which like you said are 3 of the regular volumes) run between $15-20, depending on where you buy them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite Steranko art is his work on the Nick Fury series in the 60s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wendell posted:

Oh Jesus, why does Grifter even still exist?

The New 52 Grifter comic started out pretty interesting. Of course now Liefeld is writing/drawing it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

X-Force (that version, at the least) ain't a mainstream comic, exactly.

It also isn't "now" considering the comic is over 10 years old. Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix is still a really interesting series though and well worth a read. It deals with superheroes in a corporate/reality TV light and since all of the characters (other than cameos by the Avengers and Prof X) are original creations the book has no problem showcasing just how dangerous being a superhero really could be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chompers posted:

Blame Marvel and their naming conventions! Actually meant this roster of X-Force has a lot of potential if written well, have some nice art of them (even though I'm not a fan of Nemesis' design):

Ugh Cable's robot arm looks pretty stupid there. Also, wasn't he dead? (Stupid question, I know.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Except in his last solo series he became like 90% technovirus! He survives having his throat cut specifically because under the skin he was almost all metal!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why is Kingping a mutant now?

Or who is the person whose mutant ability is apparently having an assault rifle?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

redbackground posted:

Jesus, Wasp. Reign it in.

Unfortunately that's just was Wasp's character at the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Gamora one is weird if it's from the new volume of Guardians because they've moved away from that outfit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is the short version? :stare:

He left out the part where Comet was in love with Supergirl. Which makes the scenes of her riding bareback in a skirt SUPER creepy!

Edit: Also I bet Jor-El eventually wished that he didn't shoot so many animals into space and used those parts to build a bigger people rocket.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Everything about this sentence is awesome and the fact that you close it out with the rodeo cowboy fact is loving amazing.

The link on the previous page has Comet's origin in more detail and the best part of the "Centaur turned into a horse" thing is how it was accidentally done by Circe, who was trying to reward Comet by turning him into a human. For some reason when she was whipping up the "turn into a human" potion she also made a "turn into a horse" one at the same time and then messed up which was which.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Adventure Comics #354 meanwhile is the biggest gut punch of the Silver Age :smith:

That just reminds me of the part in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow where the Legion brings Supergirl with them when they come to say goodbye and as soon as they leave Superman just completely breaks down crying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I googled his work and saw some of the most extraordinarily off-model, horrific Sonic the Hedgehog art imaginable.

so...if we extend that from costumes to character design, I think the rule holds.

Are they about to gently caress?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

prefect posted:

For some reason, I have vivid memories of that Punisher skull and the weird way he made Iron Man look. That dude could really draw.

The Punisher skull went through a period in the 80s of being weirdly abstract.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robin looks like that weird muscle kid from the mid 00s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Due to hair placement Selina's face looks like a mask.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Why are there faces in the rose petals?

Edit: I guess they are supposed to be villains but other than the bad penguin one it's kind of hard to tell who they are supposed to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RandallODim posted:

It's seriously the Patch origin? I need to read this even more.

IIRC it got jokingly retconned to everyone knew that it was Wolverine the entire time but nobody was willing to call him on it because they didn't want to be stabbed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Oh sorry, I got time travel sad moments confused.

No, that happened too. Supergirl was with the Legion when they showed up to give him the trophy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Imagine reading this as one the first comic book you've ever read. You know all these guys from Superfriends on TV and movies, and then there's Bizarro's backward logic making him commit suicide and Brainiac doing that horrifying scene from Superman III but on Lex Luthor and the story's opening made it very clear that Superman was going to lose and die. That's a comic that will gently caress you up.

I'm assuming it wasn't on the original release but I love this bit of text they put at the opening of the collected version.

"This is an IMAGINARY STORY
(which may never happen, but then again may)
about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good.
It tells of his twilight, when the great battles were over
and the great miracles long since performed;
of how his enemies conspired against him and of that final war
in the snowblind wastes beneath the Northern Lights;
of the women he loved and of the choice he made between them;
of how he broke his most sacred oath, and how finally all the things
he had were taken from him save one.
It ends with a wink.
It begins in a quiet midwestern future.
Away in the big city, people still sometimes glance up hopefully from
the sidewalks, glimpsing a distant speck in the sky...but no; it's only a
bird, only a plane --- Superman died ten years ago.

This is an IMAGINARY STORY....
Aren't they all?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like that she's wearing a skirt that, if she were to stand up straight, would cover literally nothing. It's basically a waist ruffle at this point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

People are focusing on Kilowog but are missing Tomar-Re doing massive air splits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Due to the anime starting I've been rereading The Vinland Saga and it reminded me that Mokoto Yukimura is a good artist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Moore has said that the money for his stuff getting adapted isn't great, which is why he made the decision to not be credited on adaptations any more and just gives the money to the artist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dorohedoro definitely has a weird style for a manga. At times it reminds me more of a Western 90s indie comic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Richard Corben died today at the age of 80.

He also did the art on a real rad comic book adaptation of the classic horror story The House on the Borderland. Which unfortunately seems to be out of print.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain America, help! Someone broke that poor woman's spine!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Moore and Veitch they also worked together on Alan Moore's anthology comic Tomorrow Stories. Here's the first page from one.

The rest of the comic runs like this with each story of the building in its own time period, eventually all coming together for the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A non-ironic Demver.

For those who haven't seen it:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feel like this was taken from a 90s music video.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It probably wouldn't actually blow up since most rocket launchers have a minimum distance they have to go until they're armed. Would still completely gently caress that guy up though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Captain No-Fisting is my favorite hero.

That's Gangbuster. Weird thing about the character is that for a short time Superman was running around in his costume pretending to be him and beating the absolute poo poo out of criminals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

Isn't this all a little, heh, too fast? Like the Flash show has Kid Flash, who's a teenager. So Impulse is... what, exactly? Slightly Younger Kid-But-Actually-Teen Flash?

He's only showing up for like one episode (the 150th one.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it looks like in addition to observing Earth the Watcher also spends his time lifting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS

(srsly, what's happening there?)

I think it is supposed to be 3D/curved but someone didn't do it right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It makes everyone look like they've been flattened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is difficult to see those as anything other than the turtles hanging dong. Especially Michelangelo in that first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

image quality aside this is one gently caress ugly cover.

I think the leg under the arm on the left is supposed to be Bishop's but that doesn't make any kind of sense