Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

See: Frank Quitely, Richard Corben, any artist that is actually good but is untypical of "comic book art".

Nathan Fox is probably one of the most extreme artists in this category. I still love his stuff, tho. It's so dynamic and awesome to look at.

It kinda sucks that no one has mentioned John Paul Leon yet. People keep referring to him as the successor to Toth and it's so true. If you still haven't picked up The Wintermen you're a big fat dummy and you're missing out on some of the best art ever seen in a comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Jim Lawson is awesome. I've never seen him do anything but turtles stuff, tho. Which is kind of a shame.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

But don't post Steve Dillon. Ugh.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Those are some indyplanet worthy covers.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Why would you want the most amazing thing ever wiped from your memory?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I'd so be down with a comeback for cheaper black and white or grayscale comics.

The only colorist I even like is Dave Stewart.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I don't really know if this is true, but I bet the answer to why Ramos gets work and why he sucks is cause he draws fast.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

JackDarko posted:

I merely meant that form of stylization and Canete is really similar, don't get offended. Yeah everything you said could be applied to Kirby.

Goddamn, that's beautiful. I'm such a sucker for drawings with that springy Paul Pope-ish energy.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Not a good storyteller imo, but he's a great artist.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

GMo has his own theory about '90s art, that it was sort of a punk movement as a response to the "hippie" artistic stuff from the '80s and the British invasion. He's big into sunspot theory stuff, though.

I think it was just a bunch of inexperienced artists who didn't understand the importance of subtle moments in storytelling. So as a result you got these comics in a perpetual state of tension and exagerration, which makes them exhausting to read through.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

From what I recall it's more the popularity of it was a punk response than the art itself. People bought what they felt embodied that (intentionally or not) and we ended up with the Image guys becoming popular.

Oh yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Guess i misinterpreted what he was saying.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I have Green, White, Black ans Sinestro (and the Flash ring), so I'm missing the rest.

As for art, Batman: Snow is an interesting,(presumably) non-canon take on the origin of Mr. Freeze, and has some fantastic art from the late Seth Fisher, and the colouring really complents the pencils. I got a copy in a discount book shop - it's an unexpected gem.

drat. It's too bad Seth never got to work with Grant Morrison. That would have been amazing.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I've just sent you one :)

I'm not a huge fan of Miller's art, but he can still draw dinosaurs pretty well.

That's the variation cover for IDW's Jurassic Park: Redemption #1 - the interior art is pretty bad. If I can find my copy, and get my sacnner working, I'll post some examples later.

Pfff... He didn't even bother with drawing the toilet.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I don't know. I quite like that rough look and to me he's one of the few artists who can pull it off and still have a strong sense of storytelling.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

What's the other half?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Well, this doesn't totally excuse it, but from what I've seen on youtube he doesn't seem to use a drawing table that much. If you draw big drawings on a table without a slant they tend to become skewed and wonky cause you're looking at the paper from an angle and not directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Despite everything wrong with that image I'm stuck on Deadpool's oxygen cutting choke collar. My throat tightens up just by looking at it. It looks so uncomfortable. So congratulations Liefeld for making me feel something and creating art.