Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.
That's Juan Bobillo, who's always had a cartoony style (see: She-Hulk and Howard the Duck). Honestly, just because something isn't photo-realistic, doesn't mean it's terrible. Maybe an editor should have questioned whether an artist that's best-suited for humor, should be drawing a big kickin' and punchin' kind of comic, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the art itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.
I'm not going to bother arguing the point. I enjoy Bobillo's style, and critiquing it for anatomical exaggerations is like doing the same for Tom Beland, or Richard Moore. It's like complaining about Quitely's potato-head-people. If you don't like it, that's fine. I don't like Ed Benes or Ivan Reis, but I accept that some people do.

And really, does it matter if Beast is off-model? People griped about Beast looking funky in SWORD, too. But, I'd rather see more of that kind of art, than another generation of Jim Lee knockoffs.

Honestly, I think there's some stuff you can objectively call "bad." Stuff that breaks perspective, has lovely line quality, or is inconsistent. But Bobillo's style is consistent within itself, his perspective is fine (I'm not sure what the issue is you're seeing there), and his panel layout there is actually quite smart. Notice where the thin and thick borders are? The thin ones lead your eye to the next panel, while the thicker ones don't.

I will admit, the sparse backgrounds aren't terribly appealing, but I haven't read the entire book, so I have no idea if that one page is indicative of the rest.