Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fritz posted:

oh it's not just Liefeld. check out that tumblr I posted a little while up.

This is why I could never get into Spider-Girl. After reading Spider-Man for so long seeing the classic costume (mostly) on a teenage girl felt a little too much like taboo fetish fan-fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

That costume is from 1995 though :ssh:

I said "mostly". It's close enough to the classic red and blues.

fritz posted:

So you're more disturbed by the costume on a teenage girl than whatever the gently caress is wrong with her back and thigh?

I wasn't commenting on that cover specifically.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fritz posted:

And yet you quoted my post and lead off with "This is why..."

I wasn't totally clear, no. Sheesh. Her costume in general weirds me out and I was using an image of it that was already posted to comment on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madkal posted:

Blue Beetle's back doesn't look very stable and somewhere in time Booster Gold became X-O Manowars retarded doppleganger.

That's not a superhero battle we're looking at. That's interpretive dance.

Also, what is Captain Atom's chest symbol there in the first picture? It looks like a maple leaf, like he's Alpha Flight's Guardian.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Stroker Ace posted:

Seriously? I used to rub it and it never did anything.

It wasn't supposed to "do" anything. You were supposed to rub the blood. Caress it. Love it. Worship the blood. Buy more Image comics!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's really the eyes that make the difference. Some times she's drawn like any other woman who has the expressions of a 20-something you'd see on the street. But then other artists draw her with berserker rage eyes and you almost forget she's wearing Victoria's Secret armour.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not breaking the mold. I just mean she actually seems like a warrior, in contrast to what the other poster was saying about her looking like someone just [skimpily] dressing the part.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, it's kind of like the superpowered flight follow-through version of an athlete kicking a field goal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well there are three of them, so the twelve thing means they each have four of something. Four... limbs, I guess? But why would they even say that in that context? Ooh baby check out this sexy tangle of limbs, I know you like limbs baby :confused::hf::fap:

The worst thing is the final takeaway line on that article. "That’s right boys, women like sex too, who knew?" Yeah let's take straightforward male-gaze fanservice and act like it's some kind of progressive, sex-positive, gender-egalitarian thing. Fantastic.

Oh c'mon, who wouldn't love having an orgy involving their siblings?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

al-azad posted:

I don't know what's going on with her right arm but it would literally touch her knees if she stood up straight.

Isn't that what she's looking at? She's drowning and being attacked by her own monster arm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I for one would love a character who gets spider powers and decides to take up wrestling. He'd probably have a flashy costume and everything.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thanks! I'll check him out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

reallivedinosaur posted:

I have a problem with this too.

When someone gets super strength from some sort of 'magic' force, there's no reason for them to work out. They just are super strong.

Spiderman is a lanky teen, gets 'magic' superpowers - it makes sense for him to still be a lanky teen.

Wolverine needs to work out. Batman needs to work out. Superman does not!

But how does Superman get his pump? The guy could lift all the dumbell factories on Earth, and it would be like me deadlifting a half eaten marshmallow - maybe less so.

This guy would have to take a jupiter sized planet to the surface of a neutron star and lift it to feel any sort of burn. For like 5 hours a day.

It doesn't make sense. Why would Superman be all swole? It bugs me when he's portrayed or drawn that way. He's supposed to be a pretty much average dude.

If we're to disregard the real reasons they are given muscles, Superman's alien physiology easily handwaves away a lot of things, like how the lenses of his eyes can focus unimaginably far while never being any bigger than an average human's. Maybe he doesn't need to work as hard at building muscles as we do or his body works like a regular human's up to a certain point past which Kryptonian super blood takes over and provides the rest of his strength or abilities.

Spider-Man isn't necessarily all that big. There are so many variations from artists that there's no one true look to Spider-Man, either in size or definition. But the spider bite didn't just grant him magic powers; it changed his body. The same way a lanky boy's body is suddenly much more receptive to muscle building through puberty could be the same process going on after the bite. Puberty 2.0 essentially. You could also wonder why a spider bite would correct his vision.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

Spider-man usually is said to vaguely have some improved healing, not as extreme as wolverine but more like healing from broken bones and bruises over a few days instead of weeks. I suppose that could justify greater ease in building muscle as well as his vision self-correcting.

Yeah, my point was more about how muscles are probably the most plausible change or ability for superheroes but the healing factor would help with Spider-Man's muscles, true.

Funny you bring up Wolverine's healing factor though. Correcting vision isn't really "healing" in the sense that something is injured or being attacked by disease. It's just something that should be better, or it's the way things should be. Much like how Wolverine when he heals from being blown up gets his hair back just as it was as if the hair was hurt and needed fixing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

FF #20: Artist Nick Dragotta draws the funniest face I've ever seen on Black Bolt.

He just sat in something REALLY unpleasant.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't even think my GI Joes could do that pose without the mid-section elastic band snapping.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Roboto posted:

I specifically said it looked like a combo of multiple contorted shots, though, like the flexible spine of one with the flailing legs of the other. So yeah, almost impossible for all of them combined, but really, that shouldn't be the point the suspension of belief is broken for comic book superbodies.

I still like this mid-action shot:

Which looks even MORE bizarre than the silly Psylocke shot that people get worked up over.

Of course it looks bizarre, but reality is allowed to look bizarre. But tracing that picture and expecting people to know what's going on or expecting it to look cool is silly. Daredevil and Spider-Man and a host of others have been doing crazy poses for a long time and usually they're ok because the artist has a handle on how to make it look good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jedit posted:

I don't think you'll find JRjr disagreeing that his father is the better artist, but when they work at similar speeds there's very little in it. Take a look at this collaboration:

It's obvious who drew what, but the whole is not jarring.

Romita Sr has always done better people but I find Jr better for almost everything else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waterhaul posted:

Marcos Martin is pretty drat good at drawing

drat straight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Solenna posted:

Horrible torso rolls? Do you mean slouching while having organs? There's no way to sit like that and not have something unflattering going on in the stomach region. There's problems with the picture for sure, but realistic stomach folds in a realistic style with this is pose isn't one of them.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with her body, although maybe there's an argument that drawing realistically is inherently less attractive, but the main issue for me in that panel is her face looks like a Cro-Magnon Joker.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nilbop posted:

I love the sense of Surfer falling here and Galactus' dialogue but what is going on with the city below him?

-Our view is spinning
-City architecture, Kirby-fied
-It's hard to tell if the shots are supposed to rotated matches of each other and Kirby didn't care or if the view is wobbling and we're seeing different shots of the same area. I go with the former, considering he drew them all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How are the Parkers not all morbidly obese or diabetic? Fuckin' pancakes all day every day. I'm surprised Aunt May's best friend is Anna Watson and not Paula Deen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

Jack Kirby

"Hi uh, Mr. Kirby? I was wondering if you could maybe, um, draw the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for me? I-I brought a reference picture."
-"The 'Teenage Mutant... Ninja Turtles, huh?"
"Oh uh, yeah, I know they sound kind of weird."
-"Ha, no kid. They'd fit right in."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know this sounds ridiculous to any long-time Iron Man fan, but I'm reading through the old issues and wow, I'm seriously liking George Tuska! I've been trying to place what it is about him that seems above and beyond the others before him.

I thought at first it might have something to do with the colouring helping his work pop, or maybe better drafstmanship, but no, looking back at Craig's brief stint and then the later Colan issues, it's not that. Going through more Colan issues though it struck me that Colan's work made me think of pulp, or noir. To get some fan consensus I went to a random forum to see what their Top Iron Man Artist lists look like, and some guy nailed it for me in painting Colan's Iron Man issues as gothic horror and that's the perfect description. There was something about those issues of his that never quite seemed right and now with Tuska's work I can see that I was missing that comic-book pop. Colan used too much sketchy shading for my tastes.

Though maybe I'm wrong and it's just Tuska's cuh-raaazy panel shapes!

He did this layout quite a bit early on and it's just like the "Screw your drat squares" school of comic book drawing. There's even a little corner that juts out into the bottom-right panel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Semper Fudge posted:

Captain Marvel #9.

She looks like she's going to towel herself off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Has there ever been a Nazi ape who commanded dinosaurs?

In comics, I mean.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crowetron posted:

I can't decide which is worse: the pose or the name "Jennifer Blood"

Just call her by her gossip rag nick-name: J-Blo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I look at those panels of Wolverine by Immonen and it seems like Immonen's trying to make him look like an actual wolverine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Their waists are almost as small as their necks and probably exactly as small if any of them took a large gulp of water.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pastry of the Year posted:

Art by Jackson Guice from Doctor Strange #21, September 1990.

Guice's art is just all over the place during this run, and I'm generally putting up with it, but this stopped me dead in my tracks: this just has to be super-duper heavily photo-referenced (unflatteringly so, too). I could swear I've seen this face before, and I know Guice got stung for using a picture of Amy Grant on the cover of an earlier issue of Doctor Strange, so...?

If this wasn't 1990 I would have fully bet on this being Penelope Cruz.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

I really wish that Quitely hadn't decided that she would unzip her pants before making a bad rear end pose.

I'm an optimist so I prefer to think of it as her zipping up her pants before having to pose.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Diet Poison posted:

(Iron Man 14)
It's supposed to be a "dramatic reveal" shot of Earth. Look at a goddamn map, Land. Guess Canada finally cracked in half and migrated even further north.

Whoa, the St. Lawrence River REALLY flooded.

Professor Wayne posted:

Are you being meta by tracing the first joke made after it was posted?

Madrox made the joke first. Bastard is one of his jerk multiples.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Roboto posted:

When you think about it, a lot of "city" superheroes have a bizarre ability to just toss/shoot out a rope from ground level yet somehow it turns into a bungee cord and pulls them into the air. Just imagine standing in a city street yourself, tossing a hook up to a building, and then trying to swing. You'll immediately slam your butt into the pavement.

Not to mention the strange ability to attach to anything from any angle.

Daredevil, the Bat-family, etc. all do this.

Not sure if you're including Spider-Man, since the webbing and his strength make it all very easy, but don't they get around this by using retractable grapples, ropes, etc.? Never mind the insane tech required to fit inside a slim cane, but doesn't Daredevil's billy club fire out a line and also winch him in?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sporklift posted:

Do statues count. Those torpedoes!

If you were to scroll up to that pic instead of scroll down, you'd swear you were looking at Spider-Man styled dress shoes before realizing they were supposed to be breasts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bloody Holly posted:

He's like crumb in using a creepy self insert to play out his fantasies, he's unlike him in that his fantasies are not remotely interesting and he is not immensely talented.

That is one helluva sparkle in her eye. Does she have psionic or telekinetic abilities?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cmykjester posted:

Not exactly a comic book, but I think this goes in the thread.

That Danger Girl has quite the gunt going on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Senor Candle posted:

From the upcoming Deadpool Annual
I think the artist is Evan Shaner. I haven't really heard of him before but from the other stuff I could find of his it didn't look too bad. I just can't figure out whats going on with his hands in this.

Which hand? His right looks fine to me, except his thumb being maybe a bit too wide and thin. His left hand is confusing at first glance but that's because the cuff or frill of his glove looks like it's the bottom of his palm. Otherwise he has four fingers and a thumb holding the trigger and handle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Romance novels try to make the settings appealing, warm, erotic. There's nothing comforting or arousing about the cold void of space, and both of their expressions are inscrutable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IUG posted:

Forget the gun or the arms. I can't figure out what that sentence means.

Times Square is home to MTV and an M&Ms store so what he's saying is:

I Before E posted:

wherever/whatever he is talking about is not as commercialized as Times Square is today, at least not yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrSunshine posted:

Who was the comic artist who draws really weird, wide mouth and lip movements, which makes everyone look as if their jaws had been dislocated? I can remember seeing a few pages of that guy's stuff posted here a couple times, but I can't remember the name!

Humberto Ramos?