Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Professor Wayne posted:

I bookmarked this last week to cook on New Years Day. Pretty pumped. I've never actually cooked lamb before.

drat, there's some deep technique in that video.

Enjoy your first try at lamb, it's a delicious protein. My local Sichuan place has a house special Cumin lamb that is individual ribs with a spice rub of mostly cumin, plus salt and chili powder to balance the bitterness. Very good.

The video mentions lamb shank. I've cooked a lot of pork shank, which is similar, and my best results were putting it in the oven at 275 for 5 hours. The bone comes out clean, and the meat is super tender. I use a clay pot, but just covered with foil gives similar results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

now there's a man that understands garlic. ain't gonna be no vampires in his village.

I think my favorite part of his videos is how he sits down with friends or family at the end to eat whatever he cooked. It's showing why he cooked what he did, not just how.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Holy poo poo. I've said it before, and will say it again, but has Uncle gone too far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XamBm6yvjWU

No. That looks amazing and totally worth the massive amount of prep work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

NLJP posted:

Not an offal fan but yeah i'd give those a go. How to make a cheap ingredient expensive with all that rice wine though, right?

Pork intestine is delicious. It's similar to pork shoulder, but it has fatty or unctuous notes that define it as a dish, this will vary from chef to chef. I'm in SF and I'm seeing it mainly in Szechuan joints.

Speaking of Szechuan cuisine, absolute handfuls of dried red peppers in everything. I love it as a garnish or tertiary ingredient, but when I'm served the protein I picked out, sitting on a bed of stir-fried dried red peppers, is that just something that Szechuan cooks will do? I can work with it, but I kinda want validation here.

In other news, one of my co-workers confessed that he didn't like Chinese food, it's too sweet. We're taking him out tomorrow to introduce him to peppercorns. It should be glorious.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Update. A buddy of mine (married to a Chinese woman) and I introduced a friend to good Chinese food on Wednesday. He'd said he didn't like Chinese food because it was too sweet. We took him to Spicy House in Daly City and fed him Szechuan Hot Spicy Beef and Twice Cooked Pork. He loved it, especially the spicy beef. Sichuan peppercorns are a new favorite thing to him.

I asked about the peppers and was told that "some restaurants do that as basically a garnish, you aren't expected to eat all of them."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mystes posted:

This is just my guess but I think they get restocked less frequently than normal grocery stores, so their produce can be iffy

Edit: maybe not; google is claiming they do get restocked every day. Still I think they must have less turnover for produce

Produce from the one I go to is fine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

Unless you can do it outside the mess is gonna keep happening. Roasted chicken wings can get a pretty good texture, but frying is best done outside w a pot and a propane burner

I have good news friend! There are things called spatter or splatter guards that are fine wire mesh in a round frame with a handle. You put them over your frying pan. A quick search shows they're commonly available up to 15" diameter, and they're pretty cheap. Just wash them semi-regularly so they don't become a fire hazard.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's also the "coat in stuff, drizzle with oil, and put it in the oven" technique for crispy wings. For some coatings, I'm not sure which, that'll be the best way. Go 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes and you're golden (brown).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I also saw an Uncle Rural Gourmet video where he soaked the chilis in warm water and then cut them up with scissors. I am trying that the net chance I can make and will report back on how it works in stir fry.