Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
The moon festival came and went, but does anyone know how to make the pastry dough for Cantonese mooncakes? All the recipes I seem to find are all home approximations more or less based on generic pie doughs. None of them use lye water which gives the dough its chewiness (like how lye water gives ramen noodles the same quality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

3lfangor posted:

My mom used to make mooncakes and they were a family event because they are quite labor intensive. I remember having to stir/knead/blend the lotus paste in her wok until my arms wanted to fall off. There are several Asian/Chinese books that will have the recipe and I found this from my trusty Malaysian recipe site:

http://kuali.com/recipes/view.aspx?r=524

The recipe sounds like what my mum used to do. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the ratios. However, on the syrup part, she insists (as do other chefs) that it needs to cured for at least 1 year before being used to make the skin. So, make it now for next year's batch.

I hope this was helpful. :)

Ah cool! Thank you so much!

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I found some Kam Yen Jan Chinese sausage and thought "hooray, now I can cook some things." At the store it was just on a shelf but when I got it home I noticed the packaging told me it should be refrigerated. All right, I put it in the fridge. Today I opened it to make some fried rice and it smells...fermented. Not like meat gone bad but like the time in college when I tried to make wine out of apple juice (properly) and it just smelled extra yeasty and acrid. Is Chinese sausage supposed to be really sharp smelling, from the description I expected sausage but even sweeter?

edit: I'll just assume they use some sort of extra-fermenty soy sauce when making this stuff, it tasted fine once cooked.

vvvv Yeah I thought that was weird and froze half and put the other half in the refrigerator. I'll probably just toss this if I don't die tomorrow from eating a few slices.

It shouldn't really have a strong odor. I have a pack of the exact same brand of sausage in my fridge right now, and it doesn't have much of a smell (there is a very, very mild and faint ham-like smell).

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Also, if you are in America, I hear there are import restrictions that require the peppercorns be treated in such a way that seriously limits their numbing quality.

The reason for the restriction on Sichuan Peppercorns was because the Sichuan Peppercorn is a member of the citrus family. If you look carefully at the little corns, they actually do sort of resemble little split open oranges. Citrus family plants (Rutaceae) are banned from most of Asia because the citrus seems to have evolved there, and in turn, many of the diseases which harm the market value of a citrus plant originate there. The concern for fresh material is Huanglongbing disease, and the psyllid which acts as a vector. The citrus industry in Florida and California are scared shitless of Huanglongbing, because not only does it deform the fruit and kill the plant eventually, but it also causes the release of bitter compounds in the pulp of the fruit, making any citrus useless for anything other than compost. In dried material, they're concerned about citrus canker bacteria (Xanthomonas axinopodis pf. citri, I think), which causes the fruit to manifest ugly corky scabs, and the trees to have a shortened life span. You can still juice them. Florida is still battling an outbreak of this, if I'm not mistaken. Canker was why they banned the Sichuan Peppercorn (and also, the Indian curry leaf).

However, after extensive study, they found out that Sichuan Peppercorn either cannot host canker, or has an insignificantly low risk of hosting the bacterium, and in turn, decided to remove the restrictions on it. Either that, or someone bribed their congressional representative to bitch about it loudly enough to the USDA, until the restriction was lifted. Either way, should be no restriction on it now.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

porkypocky posted:

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bring any animal products back to the States (at least not going through LAX). My family used to bring back all sorts of stuff on that list, but customs is getting tougher. In the last few years my mom has had her bags searched every time she's flown back. I think my dad got away with dried scallops once saying they were mushroom stems :v: I've also suggested throwing that stuff in my luggage (what 20-something is going to be carrying tree bark??) but they're too afraid to try anymore.
Of all the things we can't bring back anymore, I think I miss cordyceps chicken soup and bird's nest the most. There's bird's nest here but..it's not the same.

Beef and Pork are the main things not allowed. You can bring in overly salted processed-to-death beef and pork in a can, but I don't understand why anyone would. Poultry and their eggs are currently okay as long as they're "sufficiently cooked". That is not elaborated on very well (so YMMV) in the regs. Sausage is mostly not allowed, no matter the filling, if the casing is natural. Extracts of chicken or chicken flavoring, or products with them are not allowed. Birds nest isn't allowed without an expensive commercial permit (similar to Spanish ham and Italian salumi, gotta protect the commercial import business). Seafood is allowed, unless it's an endangered species, like whale. Same thing with more exotic stuff, like snakes or lizards; if it's dead and for eating, allowed unless an endangered species.

This assume inspector and organizational competence. Let's just say that it is not consistent and varies from port to port, even if it shouldn't.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
What can I do with pidan eggs other than chop it and use as a topping for jook?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can I make that delicious sticky rice I get in chinese restaurants just from basmati rice? How can I do that?

Not really; stickiness is a quality of the cultivar of rice. It has to do with the composition of the sugars that make up the starch in the rice grain, and how it interacts with water when steamed. Basmati and Jasmine doesn't really have very good affinity to water; hence when steamed, the grain tend to be dry, crumbly and have a matte quality. Japanese medium grain varieties like Koshihikari tend to have a moderate affinity for water, resulting in firm but separate grains, and a glossy sheen. Varieties that are sticky, like mochi, tend to have a high affinity with water, and when steamed start to melt together.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Sjurygg posted:

Slice chilled, good silken tofu, tile on serving dish, top with halved and quartered pí dàn, torn fresh coriander, chopped spring onion, chopped pickles like zhacai or similar, and pour over a good light soy. I like very much to mix some hot chili oil like Ning Chi into the soy sauce as well as sesame oil. Rousong (pork floss) optional. There's a lot of room for improvisation. My personal favourite variation is finely chopped Thai birdseye chilies. Delicious as a snack with beer or anytime else.

totalnewbie posted:

Quarter, dip in black vinegar+chopped ginger, eat.

Well, it sounds like it's time to go to Ranch 99.

Maybe this question belongs more in the beer thread, but what sort of beer goes well with different Chinese food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

caberham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtfUAiWO-9Q

This video is so bullshit. Raw fruits and Veg, ok I can see why. But Spanish ham? Salami? Candy? Oh don't even think about bringing in nice Cheese from Europe.

gently caress Customs and immigration.

Cheese is actually fine in most cases, actually. As long as it's not ricotta, quark or any other liquid cheese, or certain Indian cheese based desserts like canned gulab jamun or rasgulla. Spanish ham and Italian salami requires certificates regarding the origin and processing of the product, basically that it's not from areas affected with the two viruses of economic importance; swine vesicular disease and classic swine fever. Anywhere else it's basically banned, because the early 2000 outbreak of hoof and mouth in the UK was caused by feeding improperly treated swill contaminated with likely bones from either improperly treated international garbage, or smuggled cured meat, given the strain of FMD, probably from South or Southeast Asia.

That being said, enforcement is not consistent across all ports, partly because it isn't a high priority, plus staffing is getting worse by the year because of attrition. And now Donnie has cut off any new hires for agriculture, probably the only position in CBP where hiring is frozen.

Make no mistake the ban's primarily rooted in protecting American financial interests; basically to allow the U.S. to continue to be able to sell a lot of meat overseas by maintaining "disease-free" status for anything other countries could quarantine for. UN trade rules doesn't allow complete bans on agricultural products for anything less than disease quarantine rules. And a lot of other countries are eager to ban American agricultural goods because the agriculture industry is extremely aggressive in pushing into other countries, and then flooding the market full of cheap food, especially meat. Not a lot of countries have the space and cheap feed prices the US has, which are required to produce cheap meat at volume.