Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Give me all your hotpot recipes! My family's Taiwanese, so that's how we do it, but I have a lot of friends from all over who do it different so I thought it might be cool to see how everyone else thinks the ONE TRUE HOTPOT should be done. There's a lot of variations.

It's also the best infinite dish when it starts to get cold and you want something cheap and easy and warm. You just eat everything out of it and store the stock for the next day. And then it only gets tastier! Until you forget that you left out one night and then it becomes a horrible mold pot.

Generally speaking, this is a dish best served with tons of people having fun and putting things into the pot. If you don't know, you should have lots of raw foods laid out nicely on the table, with some "cold" munchies for people to eat while waiting for the food to cook. You can get a special hot pot pot if you want, at the local asian grocer, but if you have a separate burner or whatever that works too.

This was just for 2 of us, you should get way more if you have lots of people.

This is what I do:
Boil pork bones/chicken feet (or just get chicken stock if I'm feeling lazy) in a bunch of water for awhile to make a starting soup.

Then, this is what I put in:
Thin sliced meat (goat, lamb, pork, beef all acceptable. Note: don't overcook it, it literally only takes 5 seconds to cook)
Quail eggs (first soft-boiled, then shelled, then you add them)
Napa Cabbage
Enoki mushrooms
Meat balls and fish balls
Tofu (soft, and fried sometimes)
Shrimp, squid, other assorted seafood
My mom likes to put taro in it, I don't
Dong Fen (cellophane noodles) for eating at the end of the hotpot, soaks up all the soup

And then, this is the other really important part, the (amazingly delicious best) sauce:

Take a raw egg yolk, and chili sauce (NOT sriracha, but the other smaller chili sauce jar), and sha-cha jiang (often labeled Taiwanese BBQ sauce), and soy sauce. You'll want to mix together the yolk and sha-cha sauce, about equal parts, then add chili sauce and soy sauce to taste. Don't skimp on the chili sauce though.

nonanone fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Spiced, dried tofu skin strips is one of the tastiest snacks. Dunno how to make it though I'm sure it can't be that hard.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

There could be an entire megathread dedicated to Chinese dumplings. The shumai earlier is but one example. Which kind of dumplings are you trying to make? If I had to assume, I'd say you're looking for jiaozi. The filling is very similar to the filling in the shumai. The wrapping is different. I can write up more when I get home unless someone wants to address it before me.

Definitely. Dumplings and dumpling sauce is one of those infinite variation everyone's own region kind of thing.

My family makes the wrappers with 1 cup water to 3 cups dough. You mix it, knead it (not too far!), chill it and roll it out nice and thin in little circles.

For filling, ground pork, green onions, soy sauce, chopped up salted/drained nappa. Mmmm and sauce is soy sauce, garlic, chili oil, sesame oil.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, someone tell me what it is about Taiwanese food that makes everything feel lacquered and glossy? Is it the corn starch?

Some dishes yeah. A lot of the time it's arrowroot or potato starch too.

Anybody planning on making zhong zi soon? It's that time of year. I think I'm gonna try to do them by myself for the first time and I'm curious if anyone has tips. Favorite stuffings/styles? (sausage, mushrooms, peanuts, and steamed :) )