Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

Yes. That smokey flavor comes from insanely hot metal hitting things that are not insanely hot metal(they are usually food). Commercial Chinese places have these obscene, beautiful jets of embodied heat that poo poo out 150,000 BTUs and treat the wok like a Ronson JetFlame lighter treats a thin spoon with a bead of sticky tar slowly evaporating in its concavity. Tom Cruise-style jump on-the-couch-and-in-to-your-palate flavor action ensues. Dr. Mailliard cackles, glances at his instruments, displays unmitigated joy. Chicken wobbles back, forth in volcanic stir-fry-heat, simultaneously browns and causes singularity.

Dear A Rambling Vagrant,

This paragraph brought a tear to my eye. Carry on. :911:

Signed,

Casu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

AriTheDog posted:

I have about 1.5 lbs pork belly, rind on. What in the hell should I make with it? Already making Red Braised Pork, but I kind of wanted to split it up so as not to eat so much pork fat all in one meal.

It's not Chinese, but samgyeopsal gui is absolutely delicious.

Also, the green onion salad she makes in this is awesome on everything.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hungry Gerbil posted:

He was trying to be funny.

Hilarious.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aero737 posted:

Obviously you've never heard of Chinese nationalism, nor the opinions of northern Chinese vs southern Chinese, and probably never read a Chinese blog/message board/chat room ever. SORRY!

And while I agree most is stir frying, cooking the potatoes is not, more like deep frying but not with so much oil.

Also, sorry, not pictured is my big gently caress off cleaver. I get it sharpened once a week for 1 RMB from some guy on a bicycle. I use that little one just to peel potatoes.

So edgy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bolo yeung posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for those green beans that they serve in almost every greasy Chinese buffets?

Also, if anyone has an analogous (real) Chinese version of some kind of a green bean dish, I would appreciate it.

Deep fry, toss with sesame oil, some dark soy sauce, and maybe a shallot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's a wocket ship :D

Also sexy

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:monocle: I stir fry with my dandy horse, good sir!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's not chinese, but nuoc cham is great for dumplings, imo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Would anyone be interested in pics of various Sichuan food with names and short descriptions to identify them? I'm collecting quite a few as I order my way through restaurant menus so I can figure out things to have again.

:justpost: If it sucks, we'll let you know.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sashimi posted:

What would be a good substitute for peanuts in Kung Pao Chicken if I must avoid them due to allergies?

Just peanut allergy or all nuts?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sashimi posted:

Just peanuts, other nuts are fine.

Cashews would prob be nice in there, then. They maintain their crunch p good like a peanut.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone read Chinese?

Bakery lady could only describe this as a sticky rice new years cake

edit: welp image didnt attach

edit2: here we go

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 20, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I don't understand how people can eat the burnt black bits on food. It just tastes like the ash nublets I get on my tongue when I smoke.

Which is gross.

To each their own I guess.

:v: I think I see your problem, man.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Carillon posted:

Anyone have a not terrible Chinese eggplant recipe? I tried to make some last night and absolutely ruined them. They soaked up so much oil!

There's a lot of different kinds of eggplant dishes, but my go-to is yuxiang eggplant. I usually use this recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/sichuan-braised-eggplant-vegan-experience-food-lab-recipe.html

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Add MSG

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

caberham posted:

Velveting is a great trick salvage cuts of meat. I think it's kind of like greasing up the pan. The coat spreads the cooking temperature around the meat so nothing gets burnt. My biggest complaint with stir fry is that it either gets too greasy, or the meat gets way too cooked.

I blame steak houses for spoiling me

Maybe you should stop eating lovely stir fried foods and/or don't compare stir fried meat to rare or midrare cuts of meat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

caberham posted:

They use really good stock and reduce. But the flavour easily gets too strong so sauces are used sparingly.

I apologize if I come off as a Cantonese food snob prick.

If you were actually sorry you'd stop sounding like that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Crispy Stuffed Lotus Root With Pork is one of my fav things to do with lotus root.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Quoting because this looks incredible and I want to remember it

Pretty much every recipe on that site is great.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like this twice cooked pork http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/11/twice-cooked-pork/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Back it up to where you bought black garlic

I an interest

Make your own, fool.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also, it's the fukkin Mission Chinese Cookbook, which is off the wall food that isn't claiming ~~~authenticity~~~ in the first place.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ranter posted:

Though charging me $12 for steamed gai lan with oyster sauce when I can get a plate of char siu for less seems a bit sketch. Asian greens are waaaaaay cheaper than proteins no?

My off the cuff guess is because you can prep char siu in advance in bulk and reheat as needed well into the future. You gotta buy, store, and cook gai lan fresh.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd aim for right below where they start to sizzle and sound like they're frying

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tofu puffs are great. I toss em in stir fries and soups and curries and whatever. They're also really good with a general tso type sauce.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Piggy Smalls posted:

I need me some hot and sour soup! Help!!

https://thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/hot-sour-soup/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah mapo reheats fine

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Warning for all of you making tea eggs: if you do it indoors, your house will smell like boiled soy sauce for DAYS.

Better than when you lactoferment daikon and your house smells like farts for weeks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pork and crab with finely minced water chestnut is decadent and fantastic

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's Korean, but I could pound kimchi mandu all day every day.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's a billion different riffs on pickled cucumbers in Chinese cuisine.

I like this one.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you mean authentic takeout hot and sour:

https://thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/hot-sour-soup/

The Woks of Life is my first stop for most Chinese cookery.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ideas to use up yuba/foo jook sheets? I've always tossed em in braised pork type dishes, anything else come to mind?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

What can I do with leftover garlic chives? I chop them up and pour oil over them in hot vinegar and oil wontons/dumplings like I do garlic and chili flakes, but there’s way too much left over to reasonably use up.

I know this is the Chinese thread, but they make pretty delicious kimchi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to source a poo poo ton of cheap ramen noodles? Just plain so i can make lazy stir fries on days i work late.

If you mean the instant stuff, Ottogi sells blocks without the seasoning packets. Otherwise, I usually have a pile of indomie mi goreng packs that I mostly discard the seasoning packets when cooking. Around me they're like 25-50 cents a pack and nice filler.