Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hong Kong Egg Custard
Just tried out this recipe and it turned out really well, thanks!

However, it made far too much egg filling. Around twice as much as was needed was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Tried seasoning a new wok this evening as per the youtube video in the OP, yet I had A LOT of smoke, more than I was expecting (enough to set off my alarm), and was left with a sticky residue at the bottom of my wok. The sides were fine and I think were properly seasoned; a bit greasy but very smooth. Is it possible my burner actually went too high and burned something onto the surface? For the record I was using a cast iron wok with canola oil.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
What would be a good substitute for peanuts in Kung Pao Chicken if I must avoid them due to allergies?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Casu Marzu posted:

Just peanut allergy or all nuts?
Just peanuts, other nuts are fine.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyway, inspired after eating some loving awesome orange chicken at Yuet Bistro in Redding, CA, I decided to try and rip off their recipe. I think I got reasonably close and my wife agrees. It's very easy, so if anyone wants to try:

Orange loving Chicken (Not deep-fried)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 orange
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp red chili flakes
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2-3 chicken breasts
  • 1 bunch green onions

Grate the orange peel and put it in a pot with the water. Squeeze in the orange's juice. Bring it to a boil, then simmer about 10 minutes.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let that simmer a minute or two.

Add the vinegar, chili, and soy sauce. Stir them in and simmer it a little more.

Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water, add it to the sauce. Reduce heat all the way, we just want to keep it hot now.

Cut up the chicken into chunks, slice the green onions the way you always slice green onions. Stir-fry the chicken until it's cooked, then add the onions and toss for a minute or so until they're hot.

Put the chicken+onions in a bowl, pour the sauce over, and serve.
Tried making this last night after a craving for American-style Chinese, and it came out great! I used half the amount of sugar you suggested and it still tasted fine.

You also forgot to list soy sauce on the ingredients, I used 1.5 Tbsp of light soy and that seemed to do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If you want good Japanese style rice just look for anything labelled koshihikari rice, it's the same strain that is grown in most Japanese rice paddies. From my experience most Korean supermarkets stock Korean brands of this type of rice that have no noticeable difference to anything you'd get in Japan.