Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
If you have an asian supermarket nearby they should have it. I buy them all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Is it bad that I want to try this simply because I've never seen anyone stir fry a potato before?

GrAviTy84 posted:

There is more that one variety of eggplant! I know it's shocking but its true. The variety you are referring to is an Asian cultivar, they do sell them here in America. The larger ones you are thinking are the same cultivar are actually Italian eggplants and need to be salted and sweated before cooking.

When my mom first came to the States she had no idea about this and ended up cooking an Italian eggplant Chinese style. My dad told her it was like eating a shoe, she got pissed and tossed it. It was 20 years before she cooked eggplant again, and only because I had some at a restaurant and found it to be delicious.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Hey since I'm here I might as well ask:
I've made my own lu zi/braising soy sauce for making chicken, like this:
http://www.myasiankitchenny.com/2009/04/braised-chinatown-soy-sauce-chicken.html

I used a combination of light/dark soy, star anise, 5 spice and brown sugar and it tastes good...but not great. Will the taste get richer the longer I keep it or does anyone have any suggestions on what to add?

Also I've heard you shouldn't use the same lu zi for different animals. Is this true? I thought it was for safety but if you're boiling it shouldn't it be ok? My freezer space is limited but I want to eat all the animals.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009

Aero737 posted:

Obviously you've never heard of Chinese nationalism, nor the opinions of northern Chinese vs southern Chinese, and probably never read a Chinese blog/message board/chat room ever. SORRY!

Well can you keep your esteemed opinions out of the thread? There are people like me who just want to talk about food.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Gluten balls are great for soaking up soup at the end. For stock my mom starts with chicken stock and adds small red dates, some almonds and chinese herbs (I already forgot the name but it's the long white tree bark thing. Helpful I know)

Daikon is great too, since you'll be sitting around shooting the poo poo long enough for them to get buttery and soft. I recently went to a hotpot dinner party where they had potato but I didn't like it as much...

edit: oh and hotpot isn't the same without beer. You need beer.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
I think the actual zhongzi day/[ߐ/tuen ng jit was last Sunday...

Hands down favorite is Shanghainese style. Nothing but pork belly, rice and soy sauce*! I would like other styles much more if there weren't any mung beans, salted egg yolks or peanuts in it. I don't like the mealy/beany textures mixing with the sticky rice. I'm one of those people who likes mooncakes without yolks too.

*I'm sure it's more than just soy sauce but I have no idea what else is in it.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009

squigadoo posted:

I made mine a few weekends ago. Posted it in the "things I made last night" thread. I made them by myself, netting about 20 small ones, pillow shaped. Wasn't hard, probably because I prepped more carefully than usual.

mung beans, mushrooms, lapcheong, porkbelly, and salted duck egg yolk for me! Chestnut optional.

I do not understand peanuts in zhong.

The salted duck egg yolk is the BEST PART. And it's the best part of the mooncake! It cuts the sweetness and the texture is fun.

And caberham, do you mean the melamine dishes? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, unless you eat melamine bits.

GWS Zhongzhi war of 2012 :black101:

I will never understand peanuts or cashews with rice. My grandma took it a step further last time she made sticky rice and put in trail mix...that was the last time I touched her rice dishes. Grandma I love you, but I have tree nut allergies and I don't want to die :(

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
I've only ever tried 水煮肉 with fish in it. I had no idea it was so simple! Thank you for sharing it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009

caberham posted:

Here's a quick list of things from the top of my head, some are liquids so pack carefully into your checked luggage.
  • Hardest to get elsewhere. Dried egg noodles, flavoured with shrimp/truffles/beef - http://www.htt.com.hk/?page_id=125
  • XO sauce from the Peninsula Hotel/Conrad Hotel - much better than your lee kum kee poo poo. Not sure if you can order from Peninsula NYC.
  • Lap-cheong , 臘腸 (la chang), duck/liver/pork/whatever from Sau Kee Wan or Sheung Wan, forgot the store names. Old dudes wearing wife beaters and smoking cigarettes.
  • Shrimp paste from a 85 year old lady.
  • Premium light soy sauce, first harvest 頭抽 . http://www.patchun.com.hk/english/ It's decent selection, good enough for a thoughtful souvenir.
  • Star anise from a Chinese medicine shop whatever herbs/dried poo poo you can't get from Asian grocer.
  • Top tier dried mushrooms.
  • Top tier dried scallops
  • shark's fin - oooops can't bring that in California!

So yeah, I really don't know what you or your friend likes/want to bring. Hopefully it's a decent primer. But the real treasures are actually in Macau and not Hong Kong.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bring any animal products back to the States (at least not going through LAX). My family used to bring back all sorts of stuff on that list, but customs is getting tougher. In the last few years my mom has had her bags searched every time she's flown back. I think my dad got away with dried scallops once saying they were mushroom stems :v: I've also suggested throwing that stuff in my luggage (what 20-something is going to be carrying tree bark??) but they're too afraid to try anymore.
Of all the things we can't bring back anymore, I think I miss cordyceps chicken soup and bird's nest the most. There's bird's nest here but..it's not the same.