Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Dan Dan Mian

Named after the pole street vendors use to carry buckets of noodles and sauce around on, dan dan noodles are a staple of Sichuan province. There are many different versions, some are hot and soupy, some are room temperature or cold and just lightly sauced, some are anywhere in between. I prefer mine room temperature and heavily sauced but not swimming.

Asian wheat noodles, fresh if you have access to them

Sauce:
3 parts Light soy
3 parts Dark soy
3 parts Black Vinegar
3 parts Chili Oil
3 parts toasted sesame paste, or peanut butter
1 part sugar (Fuchsia Dunlop's version does not have sugar, I like adding it because I think it tastes more balanced.)
1 part sichuan peppercorn, toasted and ground

Toppings (any or all of the following):
Minced Sichuan pickled vegetables
Sliced scallions
cooked minced pork marinated in a little light soy

Cook noodles, rinse in cool water, toss in a bit of sesame oil to keep separated. Top with sauce and toppings.

You can make this hot and soupier with the addition of chicken broth.

You sir have brought me to tears. I love dan dan mian. I will make procure the ingredients and make it this weekend. I'm so excited; you've resurrected my will to cook. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Crown Face posted:

There's an amazing Sichuan dry fried long bean/string bean dish that I became pretty much addicted to in China, called 干煸四季豆 (gan bian si ji dou).

It's pretty similar to this recipe http://yireservation.com/recipes/dry-fried-string-beans/ but with no meat.

It's quick, doesn't require many ingredients, and it's really good.

I don't even like green beans and I love dry-fried green beans. That is how good this dish is. Thanks for sharing the recipe, my life is complete now.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I crave egg drop soup with all my soup. Please someone, give me a good recipe.

Edit: Aero 737, you reversed jiaozi (餃子) and baozi (包子).

Brennanite fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 2, 2012

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My fried rice is just missing something, but I can't figure out what. I stir-fry pork, rice, egg, carrots, onion, salt+pepper in a bit of butter. That's really all there is to it, right?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Soy sauce? Some sort of vinegar?

I add black vinegar and soy sauce to taste after cooking. Should I be adding it during the cooking?

Rurutia posted:

Don't stir fry in butter. Just a normal canola oil is fine.

When you say onion do you mean green onion?

I didn't have any cooking oil, so I used the butter. I had actually forgotten that until you mentioned it. Also, yes, green onions.

Mach420 posted:

You're gonna hate to hear this, but many restaurants will use some chicken boullion in addition to the salt. MSG oftentimes too.

You do need to throw some soy sauce in at the end of the cook and use oil, not butter.

Chinese food stalls use chicken bouillon or American Chinese places? I'm looking for the first. Also, I have nothing against MSG, so maybe I'll try that.

My attempt wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the hole-in-the-wall place I used to go to in China. Also, caberham, what's Maggie? MSG?