Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
While the Saozi Mian looks delicious, I'm having trouble deciphering the recipes that have been posted into workable english. I've tried looking it up myself but my sad, American monolinguism has made it difficult to find a good recipe. Can anybody point me to a good step by step guide (or even a video where they list all the ingredients?)

Worse come to worse I plan on winging it with what I can glean (assuming the basic ingredients and - to an extent - the cooking technique).

It will be spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nice! I'll try this recipe out this weekend.

This is what I scored today for ingredients in my limited asian market (pork belly down bottom):

Are the dried, frilly fungi on the right woodears? Or close?

Also, I assume the small green globes are baby eggplant. I would really appreciate being corrected if I am wrong.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Woah buck. I'm used to using rice noodles because the community up here definitely favors them (at least as far as I can see trying to buy dried noodles) but I'll easily believe both that they are not the appropriate noodles for this dish AND that I can probably find them here. I need to stock back up on light soy, so I'll take a look for thin wheat noodles when I'm there.

I would also, hypothetically, be interested in making my own noodles for the sake of authenticism. Just sayin'

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Okay, it took a new page for me to get to this one (I work a bunch)

First I skinned, scored and rendered the pork belly, then marinated in a mixture of dark soy, mirin, vinegar and pickled birds-eye chilis:

Next I bought a fancy knife, because I've been eyeing a Chinese knife forever. It came just in time to chop veggies for saozi:

Then I made my own five-spice powder from the stuff I already had. I used star anise, cinnamon (not much), szechuan peppercorns (much), cloves, fennel and a tiny bit of coriander because five just isn't enough:

Here's what the pork belly came out of the bag like (almost cured because of the soy):

These are the noodles I ended up using (they are thin, wheat noodles but they looked eggier than what I saw in pictures online). Also they are at the vanilla grocery store:

Woodears and shiitakes soaking!

Here's an action shot of my wok setup. Not fires of hell, but still goldurn hot:

I browned off the pork belly first with scallions, garlic bean paste, chilis and the soy/mirin/vinegar combo I used for all pieces here. This was a mistake because I ate a lot of it before the soup got on:

I wok-ed the quartered eggplant and some chopped onion then dumped. Then shiitake/woodear and more chilis. Then baby bok choy and shimeji mushrooms last (to keep 'em fresh). I didn't take pictures of these to keep photodump to a minimum.

Here's the finished product minus noodles:

That's a 14" wok. I made waaaay too much but it is delicious. Next time I'd drop the eggplant, cut the woodears less thinly and use homemade duck stock instead of store-bought chicken stock because it was too thin flavor-wise.

BONUS ROUND: TEA EGGS

I was pleased as punch with the five-spice I created, so I featured it with some lapsang souchong tea eggs that I used to tamp down saozi mian into my belly.

All the recipes I saw online involved boiling the living poo poo out of eggs, which always gives the grey center. Since I'm a newbie and I was worried about flavorizing them more, I too boiled the poo poo out of them.

If I were to do them again, however, I've got a pretty good way:

Create broth enough to cover your eggs with this ratio:

1 cup soy sauce
3 T black tea (lapsang souchong was GREAT)
1 T five-spice powder
1 T water (it just seemed right)

Place the whole eggs in the pot with the broth and put over high heat. When the eggs come up to a boil, set a timer for 6 minutes. This will set the whites and leave the yolk soft (just cooked enough to work with).

Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and take the eggs out with a spoon. With that spoon, crack them thoroughly all over. If they're hot, use a towel. DON'T CHILL THEM YET.

As soon as they are cracked, place them back in the broth (which should be steaming but not quite simmering). Let them go this way for 10 minutes then put the whole shebang in the fridge (transferring, obviously, if necessary)

Let them sit for 48 hours and they should be perfectly yellow-yolked and darkly marbled.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you're lucky enough to have a circulator, then it'd be even easier. Just pop them in at 145 for 20 minutes to set the white, crackle them and vacuum seal them in with the broth for for another hour. Let it sit overnight and they should be good.

I want a puddle machine just for eggs

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'd say it would work out the same either way. The infusion colors the egg better at a higher temperature, so up to an hour of slow-cooking would be ideal (after that the egg starts to get weird, in my experience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Black vinegar?