Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

feelz good man posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1-Jet-Cooker/dp/B0002913MI/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3DN7IYRSG2331&colid=1GYU5MXZ3VIO1

$35 and free shipping with Prime. This one is rated at 185,000BTU, so it should be good in theory for wok cookery.

That's assuming there's a backyard or large garage to work in. Large cast iron would be safer and easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Bo-Pepper posted:

I was thinking of trying this today. Should my supermarket not have ground pork, what kind of pork would folks suggest I whack in my food processor to get the desired result?

Boneless country-style ribs work better than ground pork. You can ground half to a course texture and half to a finer texture.

edit: Also Cook's Illustrated throws 1/2 of a teaspoon of powdered gelatin into 2 tablespoons of soy sauce for 5 minutes before adding to the filling to help keep it juicy.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 11, 2011

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lo Bak Go (Turnip cake)

I applaud your effort, but what is daikon radish and chinese bacon? Any substitutes?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

dcgrp posted:

And now a question. I'm on an electric stove, so I tried making the above mentioned recipe on a few different occasions using my trusty cast iron pan. The second time I tried it I decided to crank it all the way up to see what cooking at that setting was like. Anyway, the canola oil caught fire right away and I had to let it cool down a bit before I finished cooking.

I know that the guy in the wok video on page one was getting flames. But these were pretty constant, and I didn't really feel comfortable cooking at that temp.

Can someone used to cooking at "wok" temps elaborate on whether or not I'm just a wimp at the stove or if my electric stove just isn't good for cooking at the highest setting (as in, I would have a different experience on a gas stove at the highest setting).

Don't stir fry with canola oil you silly goose: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

feelz good man posted:

Prepare right like you normally would.

Huh?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I realized today there is just no reason for me to make some stuff myself. There is no way I could make a huge mound of chicken/shrimp/pork lo mein for $7.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Goddamn posted:

I live in an apartment with only a small and rather flammable balcony. Is there any kind of decent high heat burner that can be used indoors?

The electric woks on Amazon don't seem to have bad reviews.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

silversiren posted:

I just got a wok for Christmas and I cannot wait to begin cooking with it. This Thursday I'm planning on getting it all seasoned up and junk. What fun it will be!
The only issue is that I have a flat top, glasstop stove. I'm not sure how well this will work for cooking, but we do have a stand-alone, open-flame burner that we use for frying fish in our cast iron skillet. Can I cook with my wok on the stove, or if I want to cook with my wok, do I have to go outside and use the fish fryer burner?

A metal wok on a glasstop stove sounds like disaster. Perhaps there is something you can put between the glasstop and the wok though. If not, use the burner.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

gret posted:

I always thought velveting was briefly deep frying the meat in oil.

I think it's both. Most of the time when I read about stir frying meat it's always "marinated" in a little corn starch (that's what Martin Yan calls it) and cooked in a decent amount of oil.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
What kind of noodles did you use? Looks like rice noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
What do the Koreans put in their fried rice that makes it so awesome, just tons of green onion?