Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

HELP, I'M DUMB:
Can anyone tell me how shanghai noodles are supposed to be prepared? I just completely ruined two packages of the stuff :bang:, following this recipe. I gather that the microwaving bit is a shortcut, but since I don't know how they're originally supposed to be prepared I don't know what it's a shortcut around. I can find plenty of resources on how the noodles are pulled which, while fascinating in and of itself, doesn't help me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Maybe I'm being too rough with them, but whenever I get them into the wok it's like trying to saute pizza dough, they stretch or stick together and turn into a wet ball of mess. Does boiling fix that, or are shanghai noodles just supposed to be like that?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

So I go dig out one of the packages from the garbage. Right on the front:

Bring 6 quarts of water to boil. Place noodles in water, bring to second boil, cook until tender.

:suicide:

Maybe now I'll start reading packages instead of just recipes. In case you were genuinely curious, it said "Fresh Shanghai Noodles (Chinese Style)" on it, and I didn't notice any flour when I opened them. Thanks for the reply, I honestly never would have thought to look there for it, too used to cooking with either whole food or meat, neither of which really have instructions on them.