Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

feelz good man posted:

La Rou Fan

1 cup rice
6 1/2" chinese bacon
1/2 Tbs light soy
1 cup water
Sliced green onions for garnish

Optionally you can throw in shiitake mushrooms or chopped up baby bok choy. Both make tasty additions.

Prepare rice like you normally would. The fat will seep down and create a crispy, porky crust on the bottom and will flavour the entire dish. This is a simple but tasty way to try out chinese bacon if you've never had it before! I threw mine in a rice cooker because I'm lazy.

Brainfart, right sounded like rice to me at around midnight

This sounds like a very mild version of the stuff inside zongzi and what we make at home, but still pretty tasty. What could really improve this is the addition of sticky rice (60:40 ratio of sticky:normal- beware of indigestion if you go too high) and a few other seasonings such as cooking wine, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, sugar and/or white pepper. Diced shiitake mushrooms are also nearly essential, not sure about greens in a rice cooker unless you do a quick stir-fry after cooking and add them in then. I'm not sure whether this recipe belongs in a wok thread (always use a rice cooker), but it's a tasty and easy recipe for anyone looking to replicate the flavour of zongzi.

Always soak your sticky rice and mushrooms for a few hours before you cook (keep on adding water to the rice as it will eat that to no end).

To keep this post relevant, amazing thread and tons of great recipes! My dad hates Pearl River brand soy sauce because he says it's 'too thin' (something about it not staining the sides of the glass), but the stuff we're using at the moment (Lee Kum Kee) has the same problem and tastes only average. Do you have any reasons why you prefer Pearl River? We haven't tried the brand in years so we might be switching when our bottle runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for the info! I'll try PRB light soy again, definitely. Our dark soy stains the sides of the glass but our light soy doesn't so you're probably right about that.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

It's cool, and yeah that's what I'm looking for. If you have one from your mom that would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

My mum's from Ningbo and she's an otherwise poo poo cook but the nian gao she makes is one of my favourite foods. We don't eat it sweet- instead it'll have bok choy, chorizo (pork is more authentic, but we prefer chorizo), and sometimes sliced shiitake.

This recipe http://www.steamykitchen.com/15288-chinese-stirfried-sticky-rice-cakes-nian-gao.html looks pretty close. Main differences are my mum usually skips the soy sauce and adds more water than they use so the texture is chewier, like sticky rice. Also, they use crunchy/crisp ingredients like bamboo shoots and mustard greens which I find meshes poorly with the dish unless you like crisped up nian gao... which is tasty, I guess, but be aware that it can absorb a ton of oil before that happens.

And I remembered my mum does make sweet nian gao! Basically use more sugar, no salt, some poached eggs and most importantly deseeded halved longyan fruit. Before you serve, add sesame oil.

Haha, I just realised you asked for southern style nian gao. My bad.

Fall fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 12, 2014