Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

Please advise how I can avoid Treyf Food Stuffs when ordering from a Chinese Restaurant

Hello.

You should explicitly say you are keeping kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Greg12 posted:

I've always found it to have notes of raisin bran and acetone.

Anyway, who online got that good Mapo Tofu recipe?

Prob one of the best Chinese Cooking Demystified videos:
https://youtu.be/AujuLHK3hvs

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Holy poo poo. I've said it before, and will say it again, but has Uncle gone too far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XamBm6yvjWU

No. That looks amazing and totally worth the massive amount of prep work.

Oh drat that's intestine?

I saw a vendor selling these and figured it was just some kind of ground beef, if I knew it was intestine i'd probably have gotten one.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Not sure the best place to ask this, but across like 4 cities in China, at random street food places I saw the same picture of a crying girl wearing a bear costume. Does any know the backstory here?

https://imgur.com/a/JH8nQYh

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

But I learned from modern cooking shows and from people like Ramsay never to prep anything in advance because freshness or whatever, so I’ve always been hesitant to do that.

Ramsey makes carbonara with peas you can safely discard any cooking advice he provides

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Eeyo posted:

Yeah garlic has lots of reactions when it's bruised. The main one is the production of allicin which gives it a lot of aroma, but it's quickly degraded.

For ginger I often just freeze whole roots and grate, but IDK if it's any good or not. I tend to have sad ginger around here anyway though.

I'm real partial to the toothpaste tube pre-grated ginger. I assume I'm missing out on a ton of ginger flavor but it's usually just a counter to more savory flavors in Indian or Chinese food.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Eeyo posted:

Is it a similar situation to mustard oil used in Indian cooking?

I’ve read that in the states they sell mustard oil for “cosmetic purposes” :wink: but I might be off base on that one.

Chinese cooking demystified suggested going this route and I got a bottle of mustard oil and made some pretty bomb mapo tofu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else have trouble deep frying in a wok? Every time I try it, I:

- Undercook my chicken,
- Piss off the oil because something wasn’t bone dry or whatever,
- Clog the hell out of the oil with a bunch of sandy flour or cornstarch,
- End up with soggy overly-greasy chicken pieces,
- Splash hot oil on myself, and/or
- Cover my entire kitchen and everything in a 4 foot radius in a sheen of grease

and I can’t help but think I’m completely loving it up. I just want chicken wings :( How do I do this with a minimum of mess, toil, and waste?

Leaving stuff uncovered on a rack in the fridge can deal with a lot of the surprise splatter.

Unless you can do it outside the mess is gonna keep happening. Roasted chicken wings can get a pretty good texture, but frying is best done outside w a pot and a propane burner