Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I keep finding more and more deep rabbit holes to lose myself in while in my kitchen. I should have known this thread was here earlier.

Either way, I made Gravity's shredded pork and garlic sauce from all the way back on the first page, and I'm pleasantly discovering a whole bunch of new ingredients and methods that I'd never thought of before. I didn't nail the balance of sweet to heat, but I wasn't too far away either. It makes me think that the editor of Cooks Illustrated just doesn't know how to use a wok properly or he'd never speak ill of them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Argh, my ocd new housemate has chucked half a bottle of Shaoxing rice wine. Does this stuff actually go off/go moldy? It was Silk Road brand, 14%. Probably a year and a half/2 years old to be fair. No use by date on the bottle.

It won't get moldy unless you add something to it in the original bottle. It can turn to vinegar if you introduce acetobacter and oxygen, but the pH of wine and the sulfites make it inhospitable to mold. 2 years is definitely old enough for it to start to turn, but that wouldn't make it terrible for cooking necessarily, but it would change the flavor.

I still wouldn't have thrown it away.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Has anyone ever run across Pixian/Sichuan doubanjiang or douchi that doesn't contain wheat as an ingredient? I know that douchi is going to be more impossible to find, but even all the doubanjiang I can find contains wheat flour as an ingredient as well. Having to use gluten free soy sauce alternatives already makes cooking for my celiac family member more difficult to get the flavor I want.

I have seen the suggestions that there's so little wheat in these things that most people will be fine eating soy sauce and the like, but it's not my digestive system I'm playing with here. I guess my last alternative is trying to ferment them myself, but I already have a lot of cooking adjacent projects I'm trying to avoid one more.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll check labels next time I'm at the store, who knows. There might be a kind that just doesn't use it for some other reason. Food allergies don't exist/aren't recognized here so there's no accommodation for them.

That's kind of what I figured, but if I don't ask, I don't get the answer. Guess I get to make my own!

Just running through the ingredients lists of basically everything I come across and finding wheat is tiresome, but it sort of makes sense considering how it's easy to grow and is very versatile in so many ways.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

emotive posted:

There are quite a few companies in the US making miso with brown rice, etc... I know Miso Master and South River Miso both make GF options.

Kikkoman makes a GF soy as well, but most of the tamari's I've tried have been pretty watery and flat in flavor.

I will look for some GF miso and see about blending to taste, but I may also just try fermenting my own because I regularly do that sort of thing anyway. I was just trying to avoid one more thing taking up shelf space, but when I mentioned it (and even making soy sauce and miso in the backyard), my wife didn't even blink, so I may end up just doing that anyway. I just need to get it started right away to take advantage of the summer sun.

This all started because I made http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/boiled-fish-sichuan/ , it was pretty amazing with some good funk, and I wanted to make it for other people too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I looked through the doubanjiang at the store earlier, all had wheat. Pixian is just down the road from here so you're probably not going to have a greater variety than I do.

Thanks for taking a look. I've looked at a couple different places including an Asian grocery this week. I didn't have time to make it to Chinatown, but if you can't find it near the source, there's no way I'm going to find a GF variety in the US.

Guess I'll just make my own. It seems to be about as difficult as making saurkraut or rice wine. So mostly it just takes time and the right temp/humidity for the first inoculation portion. I shall report back in 3-4 months when it is ready for consumption.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^^ The one on the right is Gluten Free at least, but I'm going down the route of making my own doubanjiang. I just have to get started. It's actually rather infuriating, because the wheat flour is used primarily for mixing with the koji and then spreading on the broad beans to begin the fermentation. Considering it's the same bacteria that's used for saccarification in sake making, you can easily get away with using a starchy rice flour to give it a way to reproduce quickly. The hardest part of the whole process is making sure you have proper temp control for about a day between 30-36C (86-96F).

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone got some good and easy to make recipes for steamed Bao? I've had surprisingly little luck searching around the internet for good fillings, or even recipes for dough that have proper weighted measurements.

A local place here has some I love that are referred to as "Spicy Beef and Pork Steamed Bao", on the menu here if it helps: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jds...source=(direct)
I'd love to make something like that at home if possible.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

There's actually a decent recipe on the GWS wiki. I adjust the taste of the sauce, and you can see at the very bottom instructions from someone who steamed them instead. Bascially just make a filling with a thick sauce, and steam. No mass measurements, but you can convert fairly well. I tone down the sugar by about half in the dough because I just don't have a sweet tooth.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 27, 2017

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jeoh posted:

What recipe are you using? I'm interested in making a big pot of doubanjiang considering I throw that poo poo on everything.

I tend to read a bunch of recipes and then pick and choose which parts I'm going to use in my process. That said, I'm looking at the method here http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/doubanjiang/ and sort of collecting bits and pieces of different recipes for my ingredients list. The primary difference is that mine will be GF in all steps and I may end up culturing the bought koji on a GF medium before using in the fermentation process. I may not though, it's 10g and the people who would be eating it while celiac, won't have a reaction to such a possibly miniscule amount in a large batch. Actual ratios of broad beans to spices/chili will probably vary from that recipe above to suit my tastes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh yeah, I ended up making this one and it turned out great! Well, mostly, actually forming the Bao was a bit of a learning process as the dough was different from others I've worked with. So a few got messed up along the way, dough too thick, too thin, sauce touched the side so it won't stick closed, ran out of filling with a few left to fill, etc. But they tasted great so that's a huge improvement :v:

One question about it though, mine ended up really cavernous, this was one of the better ones in that regard:

Many others were much more exaggerated than that. Is that pretty normal? Or can I improve that somehow? It just seems a bit sad to have such a huge amount of empty space not filled with delicious pig.
I was thinking maybe I let them sit too long before putting them in the oven?

Also might be worth a mention is that it's hot and humid around here, it was probably something like 90F and ~95% humidity outside. I'm pretty new to any sort of breadmaking but I've heard that can have an impact on rise times and such?

Those look pretty good to me, and forming them definitely takes practice. There's a learning curve when it comes to using wet fillings in dough. The humidity won't help, but they come about because when it cooks, there's nothing for the dough to grab onto so it just rises from the rise that happens when you put dough into a hot oven.

It helps to reduce the sauce plenty until it's very sticky, and then even dust the filling with flour or something, but it's sort of the nature of the beast. Look up tricks when making filled meat breads for a more complete answer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
As promised, my 'effort' post on making doubanjiang at home (Check the album for most of the effort). I was unable to source traditional ingredients which should be of no surprise to anyone as I'm about 7500 miles away from where the ingredients are typically grown. The biggest positives is that this is 100% gluten free, but it will really come down to the flavors. It very likely won't taste nearly the same, but if it ends up in the same ballpark for flavor profile I'll call it a success.

Temperature and humidity control are a pain while growing the mold. I ended up using my oven as a proofing box and I used bricks to control the temperature with a pan of hot water placed on top of them for evaporation.

Incidentally, if you're not used to cutting up about 2 kg of chili peppers in one sitting, your hand is likely to get sore. I didn't want to use a food processor and I didn't have anything else that would give me a decent chop. That and you have to destem them all anyway.

It smells a little yeasty right now with a hint of citrus and funk, but it's also under 1/4 inch of oil, so a lot of the aroma isn't available.

Whole album here https://imgur.com/a/mHf1j

Next summer I'm considering making soy sauce, because most of the GF ones out there are a little thin on flavor when most of the flavor should be coming from the soy beans and fermentation/oxidation anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

That is cool as gently caress

Thanks. I just hope it tastes as good as I hope it will. Smells were good, and while they were obnoxious to my wife during the part where I was growing the mold, it never smelled off. Really not that much work considering how long it might last. I'm going to end up giving away plenty too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

looks good todd

How do you know it's the correct mold? I've never tried anything like this.

It should be real zippy, Thai chilies are a lot hotter than the normal Sichuan chili peppers.

Research mostly. Aspergilus oryzae is used in sake making and other cooking applications. The pack of rice covered in A. oryzae can also be used to simulate dry aging beef, and a few other things that I haven't tried yet. If I were trying to wild capture the correct mold from just leaving it out I would likely have run into issues as I'm not sure it's available currently in my kitchen biome. So sourcing it from a Japanese source ensures it's pure enough for what I needed. You can also buy it in powdered format to use in sake making, but as it spores, just mixing a bunch of rice with active mold is enough to propagate the right species.

Then you can just keep an eye on it. If it smells good and stays white and then yellow as you dry it out it's just fine. Funky smells are good, rotting smells are not. You will have other stuff join the party, but they'll be out competed by the one you used to begin.

I adjusted the recipe for the chilies. I ended up using about a triple batch of the beans to a double batch of the chilies. I used some of the fresh ones in some other dishes to gauge intensity. The citrus brightness of the Thai chilies is going to be one of the biggest differences, at least that I can expect.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

making doubanjiang at home

Next summer I'm considering making soy sauce, because most of the GF ones out there are a little thin on flavor when most of the flavor should be coming from the soy beans and fermentation/oxidation anyway.

That doubanjiang is still smelling a bit meh, so I'm going to chalk that down to not using peppers that were fleshy enough and having a not optimal mold growth on my beans.

But I'm making GF soy sauce instead now, and that's going a lot easier and better. Having better control of your mold growing temperature and humidity is key and right now I have 10# of dehusked soybeans that have been steamed for hours, mashed, blended with koji covered rice and rice flours, and then kneeded into a dough which was shaped and sliced into discs to grow mold. It's wrapped in moist clothes, stacked in aluminium pans, and closed up inside a box that's sitting on top of a radiator for better temperatures. It's not 95% humidity or anything, but it's better than the variables of a winter kitchen.

I can understand why this method of preparation and preservation didn't arise in Northern European kitchens the way it did in Asia. It's not consistently warm enough, so salt-brines and smoke are a much more controllable and consistent method to make food last into the winter. Not that molds weren't used in N. Europe, but they were used differently (cheese/meats) and in a way that was more consistent with the environment. Slower growth cycles, focus on fermentation instead of enzymatic changes of the starches, etc.

Anyway, I expect to have about 7 gallons of gluten free soy sauce by next fall at the earliest, and there should be a bunch of leftover solids to press and use as a sort of miso. It won't be the same, as miso production seems to abhor the introduction of light and oxygen, so I'm not exactly sure what to call whatever solids that are left over. As I did make up 10# of the stuff, I'll be putting some aside in a light and oxygen free setting so that I can compare the two methods. Up until that point, the steps are the same, so I'll take 1-2 pounds and put it in for miso fermentation too.

I'm also making my own noodles now, because I don't really want to drive half an hour to get decent noodles anymore. It's not really difficult and they taste better than dry noodles from the store. It makes me laugh about how easy it really is to do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

After three years living outside China I have a real hankering for my morning baozi. Has anyone made them at home and was it worth it?

I made a batch yesterday. They are worth it.

I like that dough in the recipe that was linked above as well. The dough for the one on GWS wiki is not really my favorite as it's very sweet and fairly oily. I do like the egg in it, but I use at most 1/4 of the sugar and oil in that dough recipe.

The freeze well if you do it prior to final cooking and they save well in the fridge for a couple days if you bake the whole batch too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

How's this recipe for tea eggs? I've been rocking hard boiled eggs as a snack for a minute, need to spice them up a bit(pun intended). Is there really a big difference between the light and dark soy sauces, also? I always just use Kikkoman's.

Should be fine. Dark soy is thicker and sweeter, but you can get away without it. Honestly, I just make eggs however I want them cooked, make the tea mixture and put them in a jar together and toss them in the fridge. I bet the higher effort version would taste even better.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

Better than when you lactoferment daikon and your house smells like farts for weeks.

Yes, or when you make your own soy sauce and miso and your basement and house smells of koji fermenting soy beans for a month. There are a lot of stinky things out there. I'd make black garlic, but I think my family would hate me forever.

The soy sauce and miso are coming along nicely. I open fermented the soy on my porch for a few days to capture local salt tolerant yeast and bacteria, and the fermentation is still active. From the consistency the pediococcus is still active, so the zygosaccharomyces that I hope I captured should also be working slowly. It's a fascinating process, and the soy sauce is starting to smell nice. I don't bother the miso often, and it's changing to a nice shade of red.

Additionally, I made some doubanjiang with thai chilies about a year and a half ago and it's doing okay finally. Not really great and the beans didn't break down well. I think I under cooked them. I have nothing to lose leaving them to keep going under oil and salt, so maybe they'll turn out eventually. I'll grow a better pepper for it next summer and try again.

By the time I get these all figured out someone will have made a gluten free version of all these things (save the soy and miso of course they do that already), but I hope that mine end up tasting good too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

Apologies if you posted this already and I missed it during my search - any chance you could post the recipe you're using for fermented soy sauce? I'm getting deeper down the rabbit hole of home fermenting and this sounds intriguing.

I don't know that I did. Basics are pretty easy.

Cook your soybeans
Innoculate with koji mold, I used koji rice and ground it into a powder
I mashed and formed into 1" discs to get good coverage for the mold
Leave to grow/ferment for 3 days. Then dry out the white mold. It will turn yellow
Toss into a 17-20% salt brine and leave in a dark place stirring every couple days. I left it outside on my porch covered with a cloth to capture whatever I could. I didn't get a ton of activity, but I did get some. I added a couple tablespoons of unpasteurized miso to get it going quicker and it responded.
You want to encourage oxidation with the stirring, which you'll be doing every 3-7 days at least if you're keeping it covered with an airlock.
You would do it more frequently if you left it open to the air entirely to keep the koji from starting to grow on the top.
Stir regularly for somewhere in the range of a year. I haven't gotten past there, but I will probably pasteurize a bunch and keep some alive just to see how it changes.

There are probably better ways to do it, but this is what I've cobbled together for a process at home.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Speaking of, can anyone recommend any particular outdoor propane burner for stir frying that's a bit taller and more convenient to work with for stir frying specifically? Something like this I mean: http://a.co/d/8dDZYVg

They don’t really make tall stands for propane burners. Search for solutions people have used for homebrewing beer as those burners are commonly used for brew stands without the wok attachment. You can pretty much do anything to them, up to and including taking the cast burner and installing it into something else.

Mostly people just build stands and attach the burner without modifications so that it’s tall enough to use gravity. I’ve never seen a stand taller than about 20” commercially without it being a full and expensive brew stand. It’s not terribly hard to diy if you have a drill and can get some screws and 2x4s. You basically just build a box to stand it on and attach it so that you can’t tip the whole thing over.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

I've tried to make things like that with both Japanese and Chinese recipes, like buta niku no mushimono or googled recipes for "Chinese steamed meatloaf" and they turn out all right but basically taste like a giant dumpling filling that fell out of the skin. If there's a way to make it more like what you describe I'd love to know what it is also.

Are you mixing it enough? That seems to be a decent trick to getting a really tender and moist consistency for Swedish meatballs, so the idea seems like it would be similar in technique. When I say mixing it enough, I mean really over mixing until it's really stringy and the pork starts looking like it's a gummy mass with the pork and egg. I believe you can add a little cold water at a time to make it really springy and to keep the fats cooler while you're pulling on them. When I make the Swedish meatballs I just dump everything in a stand mixer with a paddle and turn it on for about 5 minutes and it gets a texture like what was described when cooked and rested.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
How have you not used it at least a couple times since using it last month?

In other news, I've found many Erjingtiao seeds now. https://www.tmall.com/mlist/regular_ryF1wlaDpMryzACx_qeZkZ5v5L6Y3RvZsCIp_3wvHAc.html
I just have no idea how to figure out if they ship to the US (my guess is probably not?) and while using google translate it keeps telling me that I'm buying a baby...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Mandarin only has like five syllables used in different combinations, baby is how google translates like product/package.

If Magna Kaser is willing to check if shipping to the US is possible I'd buy some for both of us, I still have some money stuck in my Wechat wallet I could send him. My attempts to germinate seeds from the dried Sichuan chilies I brought home with me haven't worked yet.

I'd be more than happy to split all the costs with you. I've been searching for a while now (off and on) and this is the first hit I've found for seeds that aren't part of a bag meant for cooking.

I just happened across tmall via something completely unrelated and decided to google search that with 二金条 and there it was. I'm just happy I found any. My wife has colleagues in Shanghai, but she won't be visiting until after seed starting needs to be done or I'd just ship them to the office.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Those should just come in 1# bags. My groceries actually have me covered for dried chilies, but I'd have to trek to Chinatown if I had hope of finding Pixian doubanjiang.

Which is where this quest for finding the Erjingtiao originally started. My dad being celiac means I can't cook most of this stuff with store bought ingredients because they all use wheat to start the mold. If they'd use rice, this never would have come up and I'd probably have entirely missed out on what has been an interesting trip down the spicy rabbit hole of hot peppers and soy sauce.

The doubanjiang I made didn't turn out right, because I used Thai chili peppers. It's interesting, but it's not what I wanted and I'm having a hard time trying to use it. The soy sauce has been a trip and a half, and I should be bottling that this month maybe? It could take another couple months because the oxidation is behind what I'd expect and it's still fermenting.

And as a side note this is also colliding with my brewing hobby as I'm trying to figure out how to properly measure if my barley has been converted from starches to sugars by the mold used to do all this crazy stuff. There's some info out there, but it's in Japanese and I grew up in a time and place where we didn't even have an option of learning a second language until high school.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Fair enough. Being busy and gone does keep a person from using delicious things.

I use it in fried rice, and in many versions of "throw things in the pan with a sauce". I use it as my flavor base when I'm just stir frying whatever I have on hand basically. I'll use vinegars, soy sauce, stocks, or whatever in the sauce and thicken with some cornstarch usually. Ginger, garlic, and scallions go in the pan too. Fry the doubanjiang on lower heat to not burn it. I'd use it for noodles too.

Personally, I'm guilty of just using the ingredients with a rudimentary knowledge of how they're used and then just going from there. I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there besides mapo tofu, but I never seem to try them exactly right. I really enjoy using it with star anise and sometimes cinnamon, and I find it goes great in a braise.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That was probably me. I’m not sure those pictures look like erjingtiao, but the picture might just be misleading. I gave them an order, because I don’t mind trying them in the off chance that they’re not exactly right. I can always cook with whatever these are anyway. I haven’t finished planning my garden yet so this is great timing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

I'm tired of having to buy chili oil all the way at walmart and would like to make my own. Any tips on making a larger amount at once without hurting myself? My one attempt ended with a near burning so far.

I imagine you're having trouble pouring hot oil? Just put it all in a bowl far too large so that you can pour with the pan fully over the bowl. Also, use a thermometer so that your oil isn't too hot. Keep it under 250F.

I have large metal aluminium mixing bowls that would work, or just use a wok. No need to use a wok to heat the oil, you'd be better served using a pot better suited for pouring from for you.

Grand Fromage posted:

GISing erjingtao gives me both the short ones I'm familiar with and ones that look that length so maybe they're different cultivars of the same pepper? Or the commercially grown ones are picked when shorter? I dunno, we'll see!

Finally got those seeds yesterday. It's good timing because I'm setting up and starting peppers this week. I guess I'll find out in about 5 months if they're the right ones.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Pretty sure you can get high BTU tabletop burners, but they're about the same price as a turkey fryer burner, and you can get even better heat from the turkey fryer burner. Fun fact, you can use a different adapter and hook those fryer burners up to natural gas and get quite the output. So if you have NG hookups in your kitchen, you could install one. I wouldn't because of all the oil you're going to put into the air, but they work on propane normally and work great outside. I have a Blichman burner for brewing that I use and just set it up on a table that works great, but if I ever get to build out a dream patio, it would have one of the single flame Bayou classic burners that I would just build into a table with a cover to use for a wok and heating water for brewing and other cooking purposes (like canning food).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s not really that different from most Americans who drink coffee not knowing how to do it without a drip machine. You can make coffee on a stove (and many other ways), but a drip machine is easy and doesn’t make terrible coffee by itself. Whether or not it makes good coffee is something entirely different.

It’s just a convenience of modern life.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Just go with carbon steel and get an oil container with a strainer on top to deal with your oil problem. Then you only need one wok and have your oil clean(ish) and out of the way.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJsq4QYu9BaxXDk0qR8Ms3w

I get some good stuff from here, but I have limited frame of reference as to what’s actually good or representative of what people actually make. The videos all have recipes at least.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

Also from Sichuan, but Wang Gang's channel is pretty good nuts and bolts cooking. I think all of the videos have English subtitles available.

Only disclaimer is that there was some recent controversy because he does (or I guess did) his own butchering and fabrication on camera, and some viewers get squicked out by that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0m_Ah8P_MQbnn77-vYnYw

I've spent a couple hours watching this since you posted it. So much good stuff. I'm right there on it being good to see how the butchering is done, and that's actually a really useful skill that too many people have no idea about doing. Quartering a chicken is still one of those things that pop up on US cooking sites constantly.

My burner is no where near that hot, even with my outdoor one. I idly looked up actual wok burners once, and while they're not the most expensive kitchen implement I've ever looked at, they were still cost prohibitive even if used every day. It will just remain an unfulfilled desire.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Baking and cooking are different beasts. Cooking is something that you can easily throw things in and with good technique can make something edible and tasty. Baking is more reliant on the underlying chemistry, so deviating 20g in flour in some recipes will turn out not at all what you want. The margin for error is a lot more forgiving in most cooking.

But that's not what Grand Fromage is after, and I'm sympathetic. Trying to recreate something that isn't easily quantified is difficult and it helps to have a good place to start. Although I expect it's the actual ingredient differences which will make it near impossible to recreate, it's not a bad goal. Veggies taste different somewhat based on where they're grown and how they're grown, so it's tough to perfectly recreate those changes. Hell, even the differences in the oil that's used is going to make a difference in flavor. But knowing that you need 6-7 cloves of garlic roughly chopped is a good place to start.

I haven't found the answer to the recipe problem, but I've been trying to do the same thing. My first attempt at making GF doubanjiang was not great, but the GF soy sauce is just about ready to package after about 14 months and it's smelling great and has good color. I may attempt the GF doubanjiang again this summer, but I'll probably end up using easy to find US peppers because finding erjingtiao seeds has been impossible. It'll be better than the attempt I made with red thai chilies, but that's not terrible either. Just something completely different.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I recently ordered one from thewokshop. https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/chopping-block/

I'll let you know how it is when I get it, but it's just been brought down from the mountain where their source cuts them and is currently very wet and heavy. So they're shipping it hopefully this week when it's had a chance to dry a bit. I'm just going to soak it in food safe oil when it gets here so that it doesn't split on me. You could go with any end-grain cutting board, or even long grain wood would be better for your knives than plastic.

I also ordered a couple of their cheap carbon steel cleavers because they're pretty cheap.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Did you find the right seeds to grow those from? Or are those different than the ones we both ordered seeds for?

I made twice cooked pork last night myself. Bunch of garlic chives from the garden and a bunch of other veg that I had on hand to go along with. Fermented beans where have you been all my life. (I realize the answer is China, but yeah.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Ahh, I ended up with a Korean pepper in the same general type. Will have a bit more heat, but that’s not really a problem.

I’ll be finding time soon to package the 4-6 gallons of GF soy sauce I made.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah. Just can’t find seeds for them. I have about 60 other peppers from sweet to super hots that were not an issue.

But if you have a source for erjingtiao seeds that I can get in the US, I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been trying to make gluten free versions of things because there’s a lot of celiac disease in my family, and so far getting good peppers for doubanjiang is difficult. I’ll grow my own, but the seeds don’t seem to be carried by any of the pepper purveyors or other specialty seed suppliers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Naturally dries should work great. I got about 95% germination rates on the rest of my peppers, so I’ll give that a try for next year’s garden. Or maybe I’ll do some hydroponic to test for germination and work on a seed stock. That seems somewhat likely.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So, homemade miso comparison. The one on the left is from my soy sauce bucket. It's very pale, and saltier than most store bought. That's mostly because I used 18% salinity in the process. I could have gone less yet, but it was my first batch. It clearly needs some time in the sun, and some more oxidation. But it tastes like a really young miso. Not great yet, but there's promise.

The middle one is a store bought for color comparison. It's also flavored with bonito, seaweed, and msg. It's not the best I've ever had, but I don't always want to make a special trip for something I don't constantly use.

The right is from the same batch as the first. I took one log and put it in a glass container with a bad seal. It was stuck in a box about 15 months ago. I've left it in the box undisturbed except once to check it's progress about 6 months ago. It's much darker and tastes a lot like the store bought in fermented flavor. It's thinner, but I haven't stuck it in a food processor or anything. I could eat this.

The sauces are similar in color to the soy beans. So the big batch of soy sauce won't get packaging until I can get more oxidation and color change.

Method:
Cook soy beans until just barely firm. You don't want to overcook them or it makes forming them more difficult. I then mashed them by hand, and kneaded in rice that was covered in A. oryzae. It was formed into logs and then sliced. I left them covered in a humid environment for a few days and when they were covered in the white mold I took them out and dried them in a combination of the little sun I had and a gentle fan. It took a couple days, but they dried out and turned brown. They were put into 18% brine and set out on the porch over night with just a mesh cover. I don't have any appropriate zygosaccharomyces or pediococcus strains that survive in a saline environment, but the air does. They were moved into my basement and the soy sauce was in a mostly full 8 gallon bucket. The miso was in a 2qt container. The soy sauce container has been stirred regularly, but not quite as much as it probably needs to have been. I know that traditionally it's stirred basically every day, but I did it about once a week. I also need to cover it, but I probably could have gotten away without using an airlock on it. Really I needed more oxygen in.

TLDR, the miso turned out great. Need to leave the soy sauce for longer and put it in the sun. Definitely will do this again, but probably do the mold stage in August and not November or January or whenever I did it when it was cold.

Having a good GF option to give to my celiac family members is A+. So they're getting a bunch of miso and a jar of the tamari to start.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^Thanks, it's been fun and I really enjoy fermenting things. So while it's pretty close to things I routinely do, the mold step is out of the ordinary and there are a bunch of new smells and steps I'm just going by instinct.

Whalley posted:

Mala Market has naturally dried peppers and I have germinated from them in the past, but not for a while.

Thank you for this recommendation. I ordered them and they are soft and are in amazing condition for dried peppers. They are in better condition than any I've ever ordered. Explains the price tag at least.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s a channel that now keeps showing up on my youtube suggestions. It just won’t go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

What do I do with this angry lady spicy chili crisp anyways besides noodles?

Put it on pretty much anything you want like a condiment. Even pizza. Or maybe especially pizza.