Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone have a good recipe for gan guo ji za or gan guo shou si ji? I can't seem to find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

a delicious-sounding recipe

Thanks! I'm definitely going to make this as soon as I get a chance.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone know a good dumpling sauce recipe? I can never seem to get the ratio of ingredients quite right.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Is there any way to keep rice from sticking to the wok? It happens every time I make fried rice. Am I just not using enough oil?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

hallo spacedog posted:

I mix some beaten egg into my rice before frying it so it's just coated a little and that helps the grains be nicely seperate and not sticky.

Magna Kaser posted:

Another thing is the wok needs to be super-duper hot.

Thanks! I'll definitely try both of these tips next time I fry rice.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I've been wanting to try and make a vegetarian approximation of beef noodle soup. Has anyone else ever tried this? I was thinking tofu skin might make a decent replacement for the beef, but I'm very open to suggestions.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone have any good recipes for mock dock? I had some in a spring roll recently and loved it, and now I'm wondering what else I can use it in.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Laocius posted:

mock dock

Dammit, I meant "duck."

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I picked up some of these the other day because they were really cheap, but I'm not quite sure how to cook them. Any ideas?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

That's what I was thinking too. I was planning on using them to make kung-pao chicken for my vegetarian girlfriend.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I made them into a vegetarian Chongqing chicken, which turned out pretty well, but I think next time I'll cut them into smaller pieces before stir-frying, as a couple of you have already suggested.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone have any tips for cooking with mianjin?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

If your rice is hard to eat with chopsticks, it's because of how you cook it, not whether you rinse it. Try pre-soaking it and then steaming it with an equal amount of water.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Soaking and steaming for how long?

Soak for 15-20 minutes (or longer, it doesn't hurt anything), then steam for 10 or so.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I was in Taiwan for a while during the summer, and there's a particular kind of tofu I ate a lot of while I was over there. I've been trying to find it in the US but I don't know what it's called. It's very firm, sliced thin, and served as a side dish or at buffets. Can anyone tell me what this is called or how to make it? You can see it in this picture between the rice and the bowl of kimchi:

And in this one at the front of the plate, next to the greens:

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for dougan next time I'm at the local Asian market.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I once made fried rice with wild ramps and salt pork because I had them, and it was predictably delicious.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Can anyone recommend any uses for Chinese bacon besides cooking it with rice?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Maybe too obvious, but I’ve found beyond meat crumbles to work really well myself

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I accidentally bought a huge bottle of black soy sauce instead of dark soy sauce and I have no idea what to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to use it? I cook a fair bit of Chinese food, but I have never seen this ingredient in a recipe.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Is it Thai black soy sauce?

I believe so, it’s the “healthy boy” brand:

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Boy-Ounces-Product-Thailand/dp/B089RQQD2Z

Didn’t realize it was a different product until I opened it. It’s more like a salty caramel syrup than any soy sauce I’ve ever had. The first two ingredients are sugar, and it’s barely even a liquid.

I imagine you could use it in a braise or something in place of dark soy and sugar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I don’t know about additives, but I know most shelf stable lard is hydrogenated, which is pretty well-known to be extra hard on your arteries (even more so than regular lard)