Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

I'm making the red-braised pork from the OP today.

Seriously, red-braised pork is so good. I made some last week and that's all I wanted to eat until we finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was curious what the best way to figure out when to add different vegetables when stir-frying without a whole bunch of just trial an error. Does anyone have a handy chart of something so I can get my broccoli nice and soft without having obliterated the bell pepper?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Makes sense, my stir fry tomorrow will be all the better for it. I've just been so all over the place with texture that I figured there had to be a better idea than just guessing lol.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anjow posted:

Today I made lo mai gai according to this recipe. They turned out pretty good, however could do with being a bit stickier/more moist. The only differences between what I made and the recipe were no mushroom as I don't like them, and I only added lap cheung and no Chinese bacon. I soaked the rice overnight and they were also steamed in baking parchment as opposed to lotus leaves. Does anyone know how I'd go about making them more moist? Is it as simple as including more liquid in the package that gets steamed? Or is it something to do with the packaging material?

Well thanks to your post I plan on making lo mai gai this weekend following that recipe. I'll let you know if it's moist/sticky when I use lotus leaves. Any tips or anything I should be aware of that's more difficult than expected?

The real question is though whether or not I'll be able to keep these bamboo steamer inserts from going moldy like the last ones.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Awesome thanks! I'll report back with how the lotus leaves work unless you've already given it a shot by then.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ended up doubling the seasoning for the rice like you suggested Anjow and I thought it had a great flavor. Maybe try finding lotus leaves because i thought the texture was perfect, moist and quite sticky all around. The lotus flavor was a bit more muted compared to at the dim sum restaurants I've had them at before, not sure if I got an old batch, but there were no texture issues. Really do see if you can find the bacon too, I liked it even more than the lap cheong.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

caberham posted:

Dunk the bamboo steamers into bleach to kill the mold.

Wouldn't that not be great for me later? Or can I get away with it if it's dilute enough.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

http://steamykitchen.com/39943-chinese-steamed-buns-recipe.html

Anyone have experience with making these? Or a better recommendation for steamed buns? They look good but if there's something better out there happy to make those instead. I realize that it might not make a huge difference, but with baking/steaming there's usually enough of a difference that I like to check.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ShadowCatboy posted:

AWESOME DINNER PARTY STUFF

Wow that looks amazing! That looks really well put together!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

http://steamykitchen.com/39943-chinese-steamed-buns-recipe.html

Anyone have experience with making these? Or a better recommendation for steamed buns? They look good but if there's something better out there happy to make those instead. I realize that it might not make a huge difference, but with baking/steaming there's usually enough of a difference that I like to check.

So to answer my own question, all but one turned out really really well. Fluffy, with that taste that I've associated with steamed bread/buns. I assume the one that came out flat was user error given the success of the other 12. Would recommend!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have a not terrible Chinese eggplant recipe? I tried to make some last night and absolutely ruined them. They soaked up so much oil!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Rurutia posted:

No salting, you just steam it whole. Let it get soft, I'd say it goes down by like 1/4? Not much really, just more of a loss of structure. When you shred it, it's soft and silky.

Do you peel it at all? Does it separate into fibers or more chunks?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Rurutia posted:

No peeling. I'm not sure what you mean by fibers and chunks. Both?

I'm just trying to imagine the shredding aspect was all and sorta comparing it to meat. Maybe the wrong tact to take. Sounds interesting regardless though!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Astonishing Wang posted:

Here's a simple stir-fry sauce I threw together last night, which came out pretty good when used with chicken thigh meat, carrots, brocoli, onion, garlic and udon noodles:

2 T soy sauce
2 T water
1 T grated ginger
1 T brown sugar
1 T sriracha
1 T corn starch

Questions:
- I'm trying to experiment with sauces but I keep wrecking the ratio and ruining a whole bowl of ingredients. What should I add to enhance the flavors? In the few recipes I've used I've put in oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil...
- Is there a better way to stretch out the sauce besides adding water? I feel like water is NOT a good flavor contributor.
- Is rice wine vinegar the same thing as seasoned rice vinegar?

One of my favorite additions is Shaoxing wine. I really like the flavor it adds to things. Get a bottle, it'll last a while and really make things taste good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Another good one to add is Chinkiang black vinegar.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have a killer-app for dumplings? I've made a number of different ones, mainly with pork, but haven't found ones that are absolutely mind blowing. Always good, never great. I asked my friend's mom how she got hers so juicy but she said it's a family secret so struck out there.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Straight powdered? bloomed in water and mixed in?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

lambeth posted:

Do you have a recipe for this?

Looks similar to the one linked to on the first page, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&pagenumber=2#post390264521.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have any success making liangpi? I'm thinking of trying my hand at it this weekend as it looks interesting and delicious, always a great combo.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have anything they love to do with dried mustard greens? I got some and realize that I'm lacking in recipes to use them in.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If people are that upset over charging money for Mapo, imagine the shock and thinking pieces over what they charge for grilled cheese in SF. The horror!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I made Fucshia Dunlop's fish-fragrant eggplant http://andrewzimmern.com/2013/03/28/fuchsia-dunlops-fish-fragrant-eggplant/ last night and while good, it was a bit underwhelming flavor wise, certainly compared with both other versions I've made and restaurant versions. The only thing I really changed was using water instead of broth, would that really make such a big difference? Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not quite the fragrance I was expecting.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's hard to really know, since taste is pretty subjective, but I've always made it with broth and it tastes like lots of restaurant versions I've had. There's a fair amount of liquid in there, so I would suspect it'd be a lot plainer with water. The fragrance part is mostly from the doubanjiang though, so maybe you didn't fry it long enough to infuse the oil with it or something like that.

Interesting, that's probably it the with the fry time of the oil contributing as well, thanks.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Captainsalami posted:

So is the 200k burner i picked up on amazon too much heat? It hasn't arrived yet and i'm doing my usual fretting like always.

Do you have a hood/setup that can handle it? I'd worry about venting a lot more at that point.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone got go-to English recipe sites? I just wasted an evening cooking a couple things from The Woks of Life that did not in any way resemble either the pictures or what they were like in China and am annoyed at the waste of my time. Chinese language sites suck because they give zero actual direction. I have some okay Sichuanese sources.

I've really liked https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/ in the past. She has recipes and grew up in Sichuan. Sometimes you'll need to make a best guess as to the next steps, but overall I've liked what I've made. Can't speak to how closely it comes to what you're looking for though.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have good things to say about All Under Heaven? It looks interesting but I'm trying to be picky about hardcover cookbooks I buy as I don't have unlimited space in my house.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

hakimashou posted:

I got a friend to bring me back a bag of good dried scallops from HK recently.

When I lived there i would just eat them out of the bag like a savage, but they are also really good in dishes.

Anyone have recommendations on what to cook with them?

XO sauce?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've some pickled mustard greens that are whole, include part of the base. Everything I've seen says to soak greens for up to 4 hours before using, but that seems to be the pre-chopped variety and it's concerned with grime. Any reason I should treat these differently, or should I soak these as well for a long time?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

I've been searching for something similar to this, what I believe is referred to as biang biang noodles here, for a while. Hand pulled/"bounced" noodles, fresh chili/ginger/scallion, vinegar/soy in bottom, hot oil poured over, mix.

Check out noodleosophy in San Mateo. They hand pull the noodles, the cumin lamb version is amazing.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chinese Cooking Demystified ran a piece today on Lao Gan Ma, the grandmother chili crisp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTQTS2RSCU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For those of us with western burners, apparently a way to approach better wok hei, haven't tried it myself yet, but hopeful! https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/02/hei-now-youre-a-wok-star-a-fiery-hack-for-stir-frying-at-home.html

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Magna Kaser posted:

spent my sunday inside making dumplings for the next few days weeks hope u all are cooking and staying inside safe & sound

I made dumplings too following Andrea Nguyens wrapper recipe for hot water dough. What's your dough recipe? Those look great.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was looking at getting one of Fuchsia Dunlops books, either Every Grain of Rice or The Food of Sichuan, does anyone have experience with either one and have a recommendation one over the other?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks everyone, my partner decided she'd rather have Every Grain of Rice as the description states it's vegetable focused, which she loves, so getting that one for now. Will definitely get the updated Sichuan one soon.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm making a recipe that I just realize calls for sweet bean paste. I don't have that but do have black beans and pin xian doubanjiang. Can I substitute either of those in?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks, I'll use hoisin and keep an eye out for the paste when things reopen.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Hoisin is sweeter so use a little less. What are you making?

Was thinking to make Zhajiangmian from Dunlop's every grain of rice. I confirmed in the back that she is talking about tian mian jiang. Usually I'd just go out and get what was needed but with the shelter-in-lace and a miscommunication on the shopping list with my partner we found ourselves with everything but the paste. I had done a quick google and saw fermented soy was included so thought I might get away with using another fermented soy product. Thanks for the information.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The weird thing to me is that it doesn't seem like there's one actual origin story, there's some debate over how old the dish is, so dying on the beef hill just comes across as weird. And maybe it was, but I'm surprised by the double down.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what do I need if i want to do a hot pot night? I have an induction burner I can use tableside, but beyond that I have no idea where ot start. I've only had hotpot once or twice in my life, so is there a guide someone can point me to?

I've set it once at someone elses home, but this was the guide I used, https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-chinese-hot-pot-at-home-guide.html.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We made these fish tiles from Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice and really loved them. Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but they're really nice.