Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

In a weird coincidence, Chinese New Year is also Burns Night.

Everyone give me your best/worst ideas for Chinese-Scottish fusion dishes to inflict on my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

fart simpson posted:

worst i can think of that actually makes some sorta sense would be 拔丝mars bars but i think someone can outdo that. i mean that would end up being basically just a slightly sweeter deep fried mars bar. my teeth hurt thinking about a giant dongbei size plate of 15 of those though

Those are all great suggestions but thinking about this one in particular causes me physical pain. Thanks.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So I made mapo dofu the other day

Threw some avocado in because I didn't have enough 'fu and it was mentioned earlier.

Anyway, that's not what this post is for, it's for what I did with some of the leftovers just now

(That's buttered brown bread. Sorry for the terrible picture, and for what I have done)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This seems like a good place to ask: I have a friend who's very fond of fish (white, ocean fish particularly). Unfortunately, my knowledge of Chinese cooking skews heavily Sichuan.

Any recommendations?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I only have Food of Sichuan, but as someone who's lived in the region for a while, I can confirm it's extremely legit.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Not sure if I should be asking this here or in general.

I have a tonne of left over cao guo (/tsao-ko / "chinese black cardomom", if you're weird), and I was wondering if anyone had found good uses for it outside of Chinese cookery.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dzhay posted:

Not sure if I should be asking this here or in general.

I have a tonne of left over cao guo (/tsao-ko / "chinese black cardamom", if you're weird), and I was wondering if anyone had found good uses for it outside of Chinese cookery.

Update: I put it in some cheap whisky. Highly recommended.

(Maybe just use the shells though, seeds are a bit too lemony)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

goodness posted:

Are there any other cooking books the thread would recommend like Dunlop's The Food of Sichuan, but for other regions like Hunan and Guizhou?

I know Dunlop has other books, but people don't seem to talk about them and there might be a reason.

I've made a few good things from Georgia Freedman's Cooking South of the Clouds, but I'm not really familiar with Yunnan food, so I can't tell how good her recipes are compared to the general idea of "put a ton of cao guo in it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This all looks great. I wish decent Yunnan food were easier to find anywhere outside of the place