Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I made the fish fragrant pork yesterday and it was delicious! The amount of sauce was a bit much for my taste so in my second batch I used half as much sauce and then mixed the two batches together and it was perfect. Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Your username makes me think you're Vietnamese, make ca kho Viet style.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Search propane burner on amazon, there are a bunch. You can probably find one at a hardware store or buy a turkery fryer set up, as those are just propane burners. The one grav uses is the Bayou Classic SP1 jet cooker.

Derp: replied as grav was also posting.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Most of my family have some sort of garage or outdoor cooking set up for frying and other smelly cooking.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gave it a shot. Cheated and used whop biscuit dough, which burned way too quickly and didn't steam properly. Meat mince wasn't sweet enough nor did it have a good texture. After adding the gelatin and stirring over and over it ended up being a meat slurry. Gonna ask my wife's aunt what her jiaozi filling and maybe use that, otherwise add some water chestnuts and more green onion to the mix.

First go was a failure. Even though I had the added gelatin they were not juicy in the slightest.

Biscuit dough is a lot different from dumpling dough so you're just not going to be able to cheat there. Also you're adding the gelatin to the meat mixture itself? That sounds like where you're going amiss. First, you want a gelatin rich broth that solidifies. So you need to make your broth separately. Lots of bones will get you a gelatin rich broth that will set. You can shortcut by adding packet gelatin to your broth but just remember that a lot of the flavor is coming from your nice broth so you should still start with a good broth and only add gelatin if you really need to. Remember to add cold broth to the gelatin to allow it to bloom before mixing it into hot broth to dissolve compeltely. Then you need to let it actually set into broth jello. From there you can either wrap your dumplings with the meat mixture plus a couple little cubes of broth or some people then loosely mix the gelled broth into the meat mixture to make it a little easier to fill.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Counterpoint, pay Asian people more money for their food and be happy to do it. That applies to Mission Chinese, Danny Bowien was adopted by white Americans but he was born in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Adding mushrooms and beer to the dish in the way he did it is inconsequential to the pricing, which if anything, could stand to be higher in order to pay the cooks more money.