Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'm gonna drag this thread up with something I've been making lately and had a lot of success with. It's pretty common in American Chinese restaurants, and provided you can find the one key ingredient, it's always very good.

Chicken Chow Fun
Ingredients:
Noodles: Fresh, flat rice noodles - These were really hard for me to find, but they're worth the effort if you have a larger asian market available to you. I get them in 16oz packages, and they're awesome. Dried or thin noodles are easier to find, but do not give the same result. Here's what they should look like:
http://www.thaitable.com/thai/ingredient/fresh-flat-rice-noodles

Marinade:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 - 1/3 cup oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp rice wine

Meat:
1/2 chicken breast, sliced very thinly (I'm sure beef or pork would work equally well - stick with about 8oz or so of meat)

Vegetables:
1 broccoli head, broken into very small florets
1 large bok choi head, chopped into 1" or smaller pieces. Break up or discard bulb at bottom
2 - 3 stalks of celery, chopped into 1" pieces. Split thick pieces near bottom.
1 package of mung bean sprouts, about a cup
1/4 lb snow peas
3 - 4 green onions, cut into 1" slices.
4 - 6 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1 - 1 1/2" of fresh ginger, grated (use this.

Other:
Oil for wok cooking, your choice
1/2 tsp cornstarch mixed in water
Sesame oil

Cut chicken into very thin slices, and put in a bowl. Pour just enough marinade to cover/flavor the meat. Retain the rest for later. Let chicken marinade while you prepare your vegetables.

Slice flat noodles into 1" wide "stacks". Microwave for 2 minutes, and seperate what breaks apart, and put into another container. Microwave "stuck" noodles again for another minute, and break those apart. You'll want all the noodles seperated.

Once vegetables are sliced/chopped/collected, drain chicken, and quickly cook in a few tbsp of oil. It should take about 1 minute to cook, this will go very quick if you've got your wok hot. Scoop out chicken and drain on paper towels, we'll add it back in later.

Let your wok come back up to heat, add a bit of oil, and cook celery, bok choi, and broccoli for 2 - 3 minutes, until cooked through. Don't overcook, you still want your vegetables to be crisp.

Once vegetables have cooked well, add the noodles, toss, then add green onions and snow peas. Add your drained chicken back in. Cook until both turn a bit darker green, about 30 seconds, then add ginger and garlic, and mix well.

Pour in remainder of marinade, and mix thoroughly. Any noodle bits that may have stuck to the wok should start to break loose in the presence of the marinade. It will be soupy - don't worry! After a couple of minutes, your noodles will begin to absorb a lot of the liquid. Once the liquid starts boiling, add your starch slurry and cook another minute, the rest of the sauce will thicken up. Cut the heat, add the mung bean sprouts, and then drizzle with sesame oil to taste (about 2 tsp). Serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU