Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Black vinegar with thinly sliced ginger is my favorite. Maybe a tiny touch of soy sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Jarmak posted:

Found the article I was talking about, it has to do with more airflow giving much much more heat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the-food-lab-for-the-best-stir-fry-fire-up-the-grill.html?ref=search

edit: (The dip in the graph is food being added)

Am I mistaken or does he not ever test the temperature of the grill or the burner? Additionally, the graph lacks numbers for time. I'm not saying that a wok isn't better than a skillet for stir frying, but I don't think this proves why in any regard.

I've always found the main advantage to be in the greater surface area which helps to prevent crowding the pan and allowing moisture to collect underneath the ingredients, steaming them, as well as the ability to quickly drop the temperature by removing the thin metal from the heat.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 3, 2014

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Yes, I read the whole article. The relative temperature of the ingredients, the pan, the flame (more specifically the BTU it's putting out), as well as the quantity of ingredients, and the thickness of the pans will all effect the heat retention and ability to come back up to temperature which is what the graph is attempting to show based on two pans and three heat sources.

P.S. I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong here, but it seems like yet another SeriousEats article claiming scientific testing with a flawed methodology.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 3, 2014

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can I make that delicious sticky rice I get in chinese restaurants just from basmati rice? How can I do that?

My other question is more complex: I always take the same dish from the local chinese place, chicken and vegetables or curry chicken, which is the same dish but with curry. There's carrot, cucumber, bamboo shoots, onions and, of course, chicken it it, plus some spices I don't know about. It's more of an broth rather than a western style thick sauce, but it's extremely rich and tasty. I don't know what spices there are. If I just could replicate this dish and perfect it I would be iun heaven, I love that stuff and it would save me a ton of money. How can I achieve this? It's a very basic meal, nothing complex, so where should I start? What to do?

So when I've had Chinese curry with a brothy consistency that you're talking about, it's only had garlic, ginger, onion, potato, carrot, and chicken legs in it, then cooked in water with a LOT of curry powder in it. The brand I've seen used for it is S&B Oriental Curry Powder. That said, it may or may not be the same dish. One thing I have noticed about Chinese/Vietnamese curry powders is that there is less coriander in them than in Indian curry powders. A brand that I like more than S&B is the one used in this recipe.

Also it's definitely a Chinese dish and pretty much any country near in Southeast Asia has its own version.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

EvilElmo posted:

Any recommended cookbooks for Chinese food?

edit: If preferred style of food helps, Hainan and Szechuan.

Any of Fuschia Dunlop's books. Also Carolyn J. Philips' (madamehuang) blog.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

net work error posted:

I have some preserved vegetable in my pantry that was bought on a whim and I don't really know how to use it. What are some general recommendations for it?

Dan dan noodles are a great intro to using preserved mustard greens.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Looks like a decent recipe although certainly not what I'm used to - I finish my fried rice with soy sauce, green onions, and a little sesame oil, but regardless the technique is right. Fried rice is one of those things that you can do any way you want as long as you understand the basic process.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Carillon posted:

I was curious what the best way to figure out when to add different vegetables when stir-frying without a whole bunch of just trial an error. Does anyone have a handy chart of something so I can get my broccoli nice and soft without having obliterated the bell pepper?

Blanching works great, short of that cook separately then mix at the end as suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Anjow posted:

Today I made lo mai gai according to this recipe. They turned out pretty good, however could do with being a bit stickier/more moist. The only differences between what I made and the recipe were no mushroom as I don't like them, and I only added lap cheung and no Chinese bacon. I soaked the rice overnight and they were also steamed in baking parchment as opposed to lotus leaves. Does anyone know how I'd go about making them more moist? Is it as simple as including more liquid in the package that gets steamed? Or is it something to do with the packaging material?

You did so many things different than usual it's hard to say, but I've had moist joong/lo mei gai made with just red bean paste or mung bean paste. So while I'd be tempted to say you need to add fat to your recipe, or use lotus leaves, I think it's really just likely that you didn't soak or steam your bundles long enough. If rice is old, it can take longer to cook and won't soak as well, so that could be the culprit as well.