Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Aero737 posted:

Obviously you've never heard of Chinese nationalism, nor the opinions of northern Chinese vs southern Chinese, and probably never read a Chinese blog/message board/chat room ever. SORRY!

And while I agree most is stir frying, cooking the potatoes is not, more like deep frying but not with so much oil.

Also, sorry, not pictured is my big gently caress off cleaver. I get it sharpened once a week for 1 RMB from some guy on a bicycle. I use that little one just to peel potatoes.

You wrote "I found this dish going to the local Chinese restaurant here in Beijing." That was the funniest EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone know how to make these things?

They're fried dessert things that are filled with purple stuff that is either sweet potato or taro, we're not really sure.

They are delightful and I would like to learn how to do this.

thank you for posting this; I forgot all about it.

It's definitely not wrapped in bread; the consistency is closer to ddeok.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Something Offal >The Chinese food thread: add MSG

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My yi jiao as a non-Chinese, usually-low-carb-eating person, is that cornstarch isn't always necessary.

But I am terrible.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jeoh posted:

What happened to the other cent?

It went towards buying me Chinese lessons. As you can see, I got my money's worth!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a Chinese vegetable, so try adding cadmium or cesium to your soil.

:china:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Is it just chou do fu now?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I had this for the first time when I visited China back in October. It's delicious! (I actually had two varieties - one was black.) I want to try to make it some day. It seems like a neat project. I live in India right now where there aren't any Chinese ingredients of any sort, so even if I made my own tofu (I could maybe find soybeans) I think I'd be out of luck. But, someday maybe!

I was joking, but if you made your own, I'd be interested in seeing the results! (But not smelling them)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My favorite way to eat Laoganma is to pick the dried tofu and peanuts out of the peanuts-tofu-kohlrabi version and eat them straight out of the jar tbh

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Carillon posted:

dying on the beef hill

This is amazing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

I recently got a bottle of pearl river bridge dark soy sauce. Is it supposed to smell very pungent, and almost acrid? I noticed a comment on Amazon complaining about the smell that suggested it is a counterfeit product.

Toss it. Plenty of soy sauce left on Earth.

That's happened to me, too, but I doubt it was a counterfeit product, since I bought it at the nice grocery store in town. It was just a really poo poo bottle and we bought another and it was fine.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

"Succumbed to the Hot Dogs" is either the best or worst title for a romance novel I have ever heard.

e: oh poo poo it scans to "Down With the Sickness"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I forgot I picked up a metric ton of various frozen wontons at the asian grocery a few weeks ago and want to use them before they go freezer-bad. With that said, I feel like this may be the dumbest thing I’ve asked since it seems very obvious, but I need some sort of recipe for your basic take-out wonton soup broth: Is it anything more than chicken stock, sesame oil, salt and soy? I can experiment with the proportions but I guess I want to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious.

I’m such a sucker for take-out wonton soup, it’s very much a guilty pleasure comfort food and if this pans out I plan to basically just eat it all winter :haw:

Your recipe is my recipe except I add chopped scallions and a handful of fresh spinach once it's served.

E: oh I put in white and black pepper, and dried chilis sometimes

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm based in the UK and I get most of my Chinese stuff from Wing Yip supermarket. I often buy XO sauce and I found it really strange how reverentially it is treated - it's kept in a locked cabinet and they really don't want you taking it round the supermarket with you, they want to go and get it when you're at the checkout like it's their most expensive spirits or something. I don't get why, however, because there's plenty more stuff out on the shelves that costs more (XO sauce is only £10 or so) and would be easier to shoplift.

Has anyone else experienced this?

No, but whenever I go to the Asian supermarkets here, they lock up the Tiger Balm. I don't know why, XO sauce tastes much better,

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My mom was curious about hotpot and went to the local hotpot place with my dad. The waitress enticed them into purchasing "Chinese sake." It was baijiu, and after one sip, they quit. My parents are drunks so that's pretty impressive.

They gave me the bottle and I left it in my old apartment when I moved.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It's practically a koan

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

pr0k posted:

is this a ten year old thread? wow, yes

It's finally starting to get some flavor.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It has that true thread hei.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bird's Custard is good if you have rhubarb and a lot of nostalgic context. Otherwise...meh.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I cut tofu in my hand as a test, and also because I hate washing dishes so why not? It was a fine experience except that I have really small hands and kept dropping tofu all over the place.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

droll posted:

Chinese cooking demystified said its soft tofu, not silken.

"Soft Tofu (嫩豆腐), 230g. Note the tofu type. The biggest mistake I see people do is use the wrong tofu – if you’re in China, make sure to get this nen doufu (嫩豆腐) and not neizhi doufu (内酯豆腐). The latter is silken tofu, breaks down real easy, and is usually used in desserts"

Are they wrong or are we conflating silken for soft?

I think manufacturers in Western countries conflate them, yeah. Silken tofu is softer than "soft" tofu. It won't hold up to being cubed and then stirred; it'll break into tiny curds.

e: I am not Chinese and have no understanding of tofu mores in general; just speaking from my own observation.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I put chorizo in fried rice because I am a monster and also it's good. Fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

droll posted:

I made fried rice last night with spaghetti since we ran out of rice, pancetta, egg and parmesan.

Carbonara with Chinese characteristics?

I also put asparagus and pancetta in my fried rice sometimes; slaps.