Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Or is it seasoning for when you're steaming things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Avoid them? My respect for your humanity has vanished.

Yeah for reals

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So I'm not the only one throwing in like a quarter cup of those things every time I use them?

I even started putting them in my popcorn.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cauliflower recipe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sweet thanks

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Use lots of interesting dried mushrooms, both for the broth and as the meaty bits.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Those are beautiful.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dandelion greens rule. Lucky that you have thosem

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jhet posted:

As promised, my 'effort' post on making doubanjiang at home (Check the album for most of the effort). I was unable to source traditional ingredients which should be of no surprise to anyone as I'm about 7500 miles away from where the ingredients are typically grown. The biggest positives is that this is 100% gluten free, but it will really come down to the flavors. It very likely won't taste nearly the same, but if it ends up in the same ballpark for flavor profile I'll call it a success.

Temperature and humidity control are a pain while growing the mold. I ended up using my oven as a proofing box and I used bricks to control the temperature with a pan of hot water placed on top of them for evaporation.

Incidentally, if you're not used to cutting up about 2 kg of chili peppers in one sitting, your hand is likely to get sore. I didn't want to use a food processor and I didn't have anything else that would give me a decent chop. That and you have to destem them all anyway.

It smells a little yeasty right now with a hint of citrus and funk, but it's also under 1/4 inch of oil, so a lot of the aroma isn't available.

Whole album here https://imgur.com/a/mHf1j

Next summer I'm considering making soy sauce, because most of the GF ones out there are a little thin on flavor when most of the flavor should be coming from the soy beans and fermentation/oxidation anyway.

This is pretty awesome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PT6A posted:

The answer is racism.

This is actually the reason. Italian food used to be super cheap too, until Italians started to be considered "white".

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mich posted:

Adding mushrooms and beer to the dish in the way he did it is inconsequential to the pricing, which if anything, could stand to be higher in order to pay the cooks more money.

But if you pay them a living wage they'll just get fired and every restaurant will have its orders taken by robots! Is this the future you and your fellow communists want, to make the blue collar worker extinct?!?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

They rule on nachos no lie.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Re: woks for outside. When I got my propane fuckoff wok burner, I went down to my Chinese store and picked up a no name carbon steel 22 inch wok that just kicks a million kinds of rear end. It cost $25 and has been going strong for a long time. Sure, it sometimes gets surface corrosion, but that can be buffed out. If it gets too bad, I can get a new one or watch the Wang Gang video about rehabilitation of woks and I'm gooooolden.

Basically good woks are cheap don't stress about them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I do hotpot at home like every week or two, and lgm is the best base by far. Even better than little sheep.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

They have it at 99 ranch sometimes. Good, but not as good in the home pot as angry lady. But like, little sheep is not nearly as good at home as it is in the restaurant and I still haven't figured out why.

Hot pot is my favorite thing ever but I'm far from close to beginning to become competent at the soup making.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tacos. Baked potatoes. Fried potatoes. Fried rice. Fried mushrooms. Cream of mushroom soup. Tacos. Hotdish. Hot dogs. Chili dogs. Chili. Tacos. Spaghetti. Congee. Popcorn. Moussaka. Tamales. Tacos. BBQ. Korean BBQ.

hotpot dipping

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The only mystery about Lao Gan Ma is why I can't buy it by the 5 gallon pail.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's a beef one!!!???!!!

We normally see the chili crisp, hot chili sauce (with the tofu cubes and soybeans in it), fried chili in oil, black bean, and the mushroom one.

I can also get the angry lady hotpot mix, which had become my go to for home hotpot.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I love that stuff. We always have a package or two in the fridge.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I used to think I was terrible at Chinese cookery, but I always used a flat bottom wok on an electric stove. But when I got a wok burner and a 24 inch carbon steel wok holy cow did my game improve. I just cannot recommend enough the ability to blast that much heat at your food for those who have the wherewithal to do so.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

haggis filling dumples

crispy duck with cucumber and scallions wrapped in a crepe then battered and deep fried

lotus root crisps

Mooncakes with Irn-Bru sauce. Deep fried, of course.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I do hotpot once a week. I have a good induction burner, and two pots (one normal and one two chamber) that I picked up for $5 at the Chinese store. They're probably made of compressed tinfoil or something but they've been fine for years for me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A rice cooker for hotpot? Hard no. No way to keep the liquid boiling appropriately.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

lilbeefer posted:

^^^hell yeah the numbing is the best bit. It's food cocaine

I have a bunch of numbing peppercorns that I want to use soon. What is the simplest recipe that focuses on Sichuan peppercorns? I have no issue with chilli and also have shitloads of dried red chillis. thinking something like Lasiji, if anyone has a good recipe

Edit: just saw I've stumbled into Sichuan peppercorns chat. Still I am chasing a simple recipe, I have no cooking chops

They don't numb me anymore. :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

Yes, it will be good with pork.

Rename thread.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

Get a Sichuan peppercorn tree, use them fresh. Green Sichuan peppercorns are a lot more numbing than dried.

This is like saying "not getting the same old buzz? Try freebasing!"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sometimes I just watch his videos to see his uncle. Dude is absolutely great.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, installing the wok range outdoors (and then building an awning over it) really inspired me for outdoor kitchen upgrades. Someday I'll be rid of the turkey fryer, someday...

The other thing I like about the videos with Uncle are that they're so unvarnished. Like, the pork ribs that just got posted a day or two ago - they weren't perfect and they were hard for Uncle to eat, but the honesty helps me learn things as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

Any idea what he's chopping up at 4:50?

Edit: Nevermind, subtitles later in the video say what it is - hot pot base.

In another video he demonstrates how to make the hotpot base, as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wasn't 让别人心痛的宽油 just joking with Uncle, on account of how he's always giving Wang Gang a hard time for using so much oil?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pookah posted:

I have discovered a new way to eat lao gan ma chili crisp, but I hesitate to share it in case the ghosts of a thousand vengeful Chinese grandmothers descends upon me. :ohno:

It makes a really really tasty tuna salad if just mix it up with canned tuna and some mayonnaise. You don't really taste the mayo under the lao gan ma but if it's not there, the mix is just too dry. The crispness of the chili adds an excellent crunch. I know it sounds terrible, but it really is tasty. Obviously this is not Chinese cooking, but where else on these forums are people familiar with this magic sauce?

I was using enough angry lady that I had to learn how to make it by the quart at home.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't want to hear anything about the whole wang gang and qi erwa situation. can't something be okay for two seconds?

I think they largely are ok. The ribbing and "humiliation" afforded to qi erwa by Wang gang and family is the normal treatment apprentices get in all sorts of trades, and especially in cooking. I'm not saying the YouTube commenters are ok - there's a reason you don't read the comments. But I can't think of a single person who came up in any organization who wasn't corrected/scolded/reprimanded/ etc. at some point. And I say this as a culturally ignorant American, but my understanding of Chinese master/apprentice culture is that the junior member owes a ton of respect and deference to their senior and that some amount of humiliation is expected.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We do hot pot at home every other week or so. Welcome to the home hot pot club!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Testikles posted:

Anybody got some good "light" recipes? A lot of what I've been cooking is usually pretty bold with flavours and spices, and usually pretty high in sodium and oil. I'm looking for things that are a bit more bland a little more easy going that aren't just attempts to make unhealthy food healthy.

The lightest thing I can think of is a bowl of congee with some veg or pickle. But that brings me to thoughts of soup, which are going to be light and easy, as well as full of vegetables depending on what you make. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-LNIq5IM4

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

horchata posted:

So I bought a metal wok ladle from a restaurant supply store last week. It seems to scratch the hell out of my Joyce Chen wok whenever I use it, is there some sort of trick to this that I'm not getting?

Is your Joyce Chen wok Teflon or something? Don't use metal on Teflon, and don't use a Teflon wok.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

La zi ji is one of my favorites - you can really get the chiles toasted now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scrambled with eggs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Stir fry, Soma's to remove more moisture. Otherwise your fillings get too soggy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have never refrigerated sesame oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If your fridge stinks its because you don't have enough kimchi in it.