Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

dōubānjiāng

How the heck do I pronounce that? I want to find some of that(I have done no 'real' Chinese cooking, just the usual stir fries and chow mein).

edit: actually that stuff was really easy to find but I couldn't find just plain fermented black beans. There were a ton of "fermented black bean sauce", "black bean sauce with garlic", etc. but no just "black beans"... I wound up finding a jar of fermented black bean paste(soybean, not mung bean, I know that sometimes "black bean paste" means mung bean paste) and used that. Seems okay.

Anyways, I made the ma po dofu, pretty much going off of your recipe, but with the addition of 1 Tbsp of black bean paste.

This is pretty awesome. The contrast in texture between the ground pork and silken tofu is really nice, as is the numbing burn on my tongue.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Gai lan and preserved ham

Ingredients:
Gai lan
Chinese bacon, ham, or sausage
1/4 cup chicken stock or water with 1 tsp brown sugar or palm sugar dissolved in and 1 tsp light soy

Slice about a cup of gai lan (Chinese broccoli) into 3 inch long pieces at an angle. Thinly slice some Chinese bacon or Chinese ham (even Chinese sausage will work in a pinch). In a hot wok, add a small amount of oil, swirl, and add ham. Brown and add gai lan. Toss a few times and add the stock/water solution. Cover and cook until gai lan is cooked but still toothsome. Remove cover and let a bit of the liquid evaporate. Serve.

I made this tonight -- big bags of gai lan for cheap at the grocery are really appealing.

It's really tasty, but the gai lan is just a little too bitter IMO. Would parboiling help?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Probably could use that, but you're going to have to find some bean paste (豆豉) or dou ban (豆瓣) as well. That looks to be just be garlic chili sauce (no bean component), which is not a substitute for the black bean stuff you'd normally use in mapo doufu. I use that stuff when I make dumpling dipping sauce!

e:

Stole that pic from an earlier recipe for mapo doufu recipe in this thread. Look for those two characters in the middle 豆瓣, that's the integral part. I think 99.9% of 豆瓣 sauces have chilies in them... I've never seen any without... so that's not quite as important. Varieties usually differ by just how spicy they are and any other extras. I'm currently using an awesome kind that has has a beefy flavor added in through pieces of jerky that are in it.

How long does that stuff keep for? I made Ma Po Dofu a few months ago(it was awesome -- I did gravity's variation with ground pork) and I still have those jars, of that and a big one of fermented black beans. They were pretty cheap but I'd prefer to keep them and use them if they're still good, you know?

What else can you use those two ingredients in?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Is clear "Yu Yee Chinese Rice Cooking Wine" the same as Shaoxing wine? Or close enough? Apparently Shaoxing is normally darker...? The Asian grocery had like six brands of cooking wine, they were all clear.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

Hey foodie goons. If this question is too stupid hopefully you'll all at least appreciate the bump.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried making dark soy sauce themselves with soy sauce and molasses/dark brown sugar/something else and can give me some tips. I'm majorly allergic to gluten (not a hipster foodie I swear) and while I can get GF tamari (San-J until mom brought something else home because she fears naturally occurring MSG :can: ) GF dark soy sauce doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

Also would I be horribly remiss using San-J/whatever else in place of light soy sauce?

GF soy sauce definitely exists, kikkoman has a line. Not Chinese but :shrug: