Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Sichuan question: currently I often make "Sichuan food" by just getting various Sichuan ingredients from the Chinese grocery and just combining them however. For example, I'll get some "bracken pickle" (tasty, but no idea what it is), some salted black beans, and then just stir-fry them all up with some noodles, vegetables, etc. I guess it's "Sichuan" in the sense that anything involving white bread, ground beef, processed cheese, and mayo is going to end up tasting "American" regardless of what you do to it.

Anyone got a better technique (short of actually following recipes, I like to make shite up) to better capture the flavours which distinguish Sichuan from other regional cuisines of the Red Chinee?

Well, it sounds to me like you fell into the Chinese Takeout Menu trap of thinking that calling something 'Sichuan', 'Cantonese' or whatever actually covers properly a whole style of food. This could just be me projecting since I hate bad chinese restaurants though :(

In the very very broadest sense this may be true but calling for one method to make any main ingredient you have on had end up as 'Sichuan' seems odd to me. It's a very broad family of ingredients and techniques. I guess the question is how genuine you want to be? Personally I still don't know a huge amount about Chinese cooking and the various families of it but I'm not sure there's a good answer to your question.

I guess I'd start with some genuine classic recipes first and only then make shite up on that basis later :) That's the best way I've found to get a little bit of a grip on a style of cooking/taste.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Má pó dňufu

Recipe

Roast in a dry pan until fragrant, crush and sift out black seeds
2-4 tbs Sichuan peppercorn

This looks really great but just a quick question, what's the best way to sift out the seeds in this case? I'm probably being dumb but either I separate the skin from the seed at the start or I end up with the occasional gritty bit later. Can you just pound them in a mortar? I'd assume a grinder would grind too much gritty stuff in with it all, which is basically what happened the first time I tried to use sichuan pepper since I didn't know about the grit and haven't used them much since.

Just wondering what the most convenient way to sort these buggers out is :)

NLJP fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 26, 2011

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

By the way guys, in case you haven't seen it there's a food show making a stir in China at the moment called A bite of China, some of which is now on youtube apparently.

It's really good and, unusually for chinese official TV, really emphasises different ethnicities, subcultures and histories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHNa9qdtlw

The subtitles are real ropey but the show is excellent. I especially love that they foley guys appear to have had a real good time.

edit: later episodes have more on the actual processes of cooking and preparation

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 7, 2012

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

My roommate has a big bag of dried scallops, what should I do with them? Never encountered them as an ingredient.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

bamhand posted:

Stir fry with napa. Kai yang bai cai. http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/kai-yang-bai-cai-recipe
Use the scallops instead of shrimp. At home we don't add sugar or soy and add a bit of milk.

This sounds like a good thing to try them out with, thanks.

Also AriTheDog, a long time being roughly how long? A few hours?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

AriTheDog posted:

Sorry, yeah. Until soft and falling apart. I just do everything in the kitchen by braille, I'm the wrong person to ask.

No worries, I'll do it by feel then blame you if it goes wrong. Should I just discard the soaking liquid or can I use it like stock in the final dish? Will the liquid just be gross?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Also mix with some soy sauce and use as dumpling dip.

edit: oh wait you mean the sweetish almost treacle-like stuff? There's definitely two kinds of black vinegar, the more balsamic style and a heavily fermented far less sweet more traditionally 'vinegary' type. Both come from Zhejiang and the latter is what I use with soy sauce for dipping :)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Not Zhčjiang ( 浙江), the province surrounding Shanghai, but Zhčnjiang (镇江), a city in Jiangsu province. Which is confusingly enough the neighbour province of Zhčjiang. :B

Oh oops. Well to be honest my chinese geography sucks in general anyway.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

EVG posted:

So what do you use this for anyways? I've seen it at my asian grocer. Is it a condiment or an ingredient?

Anything to do with eggs.

Also in congee! Laoganma is my friend.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Excess lobster or crayfish: Toss it in pasta with lemon juice, bit of olive oil and basil.

I know this is the chinese thread but this is what we always do with leftover crayfish from midsummer crayfish parties and it seemed relevant to the conversation.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Well, ended up making my standard chicken fried rice with it and it turned out OK. The hob I'm using is electric so it's never going to be quite the same as in my old place, but the thing's powerful enough that if I let the wok heat for a few minutes it still gets a bit of that wok hei going on.

Anyone in London got a favourite Sichuan place they'd recommend? Half the people on my floor in uni accommodation are girls from the province.

The most 'welp this may as well have been teleported in from china' Sichuan I've been to in London is Chili Cool near Euston. Bonus you can have a pint or two at the Euston Tap or Cider Tap before or after.

Bar Shu and Ba Shan (Ba Shan is Hunanese so a little different but I actually prefer it; get the braised cabbage) are both great but much 'fancier'. The only thing that makes Chili Cool feel fancy is that the restaurant (not hot pot) side has a weird back area that is kind of a glass covered gazebo. Try not to be sat there because it's real hard to get the staff attention.

I haven't obviously tried every sichuan or sichuan like in London but these really loving own. Go to these go go go.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Laocius posted:

Does anyone have any tips for cooking with mianjin?

I made my own gluten the other day, just deep fried it and put it into hot and sour soup. Very good! Make smallish balls to put into the oil and at a slightly lower heat than you might expect for a bit longer. I did it at slightly too high a heat and they had a lovely crust but still a bit uncooked in the center.

Even slightly uncooked it was still great in the soup tho.

edit: oh if it's pre-cooked just chuck it into anything saucy I guess

NLJP fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 4, 2018

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I love that channel a bunch but they can't write recipes for poo poo sadly. I've gotten good results making their stuff but the written recipes make it twice as hard as it needs to be.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's hard to get here but honestly a dry sherry works very well as a substitute

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Also potato starch tends to make for crispier, less protein than vorn flour etc iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Not an offal fan but yeah i'd give those a go. How to make a cheap ingredient expensive with all that rice wine though, right?