Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

if you need a demo of how to fold the dumplings, this vid is a good one, albeit very noisy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5alhvDZ0c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Hey Gravity, my mom recently gifted me with a Chinese clay air pot (direct translation, she called it a qi guo). I can't seem to find any info on it, got any tips/resources? I was thinking about doing a short rib or octopus braise.

If read it, mine came with this. I was told by a chinaboo friend that that it basically says.

grav's friend posted:

It's safety warnings--this is a breakable product, exercise care when using, wipe the outside of the pot dry of all liquid before putting it on your heating element, don't freeze the clay pot or put it on anything cold after heating it because it can break, use oven mitts when touching so you don't burn yourself, don't use the clay pot for deep-frying foods like tempura, you cannot use the clay pot on an electric hotplate, in a microwave oven, or in a conventional oven. After washing the clay pot, place it in an open, airy spot to dry safely.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

meh, I just put in on a gas burner. There are still people w/o gas burners out there? :P

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you're doing it little by little to make up for an underpowered heat source: the meat should still be rare-med rare when you reserve it, even chicken. You're just looking for some char/caramelization the first go round. Cook through when you replace it in the wok.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mine is basically like that, without the melon. The batter is beaten egg whites till foamy but not quite merengue, add cornstarch.

Reiz posted:

"japanese style mayo"

aka Kewpie mayo

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

amishsexpot posted:

That 14% MSG disclaimer at the bottom doesn't look so appetizing though...

Haha you take that back <:mad:>

No, no. You take that back. MSG is not evil.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

icehewk posted:

If you can find it, Kimlan is loving balls out the best soy sauce I've ever seen.

really? I don't care for kimlan, PRB supremacy.

No no serious posted:

So what gives? Do some electric stoves work? Is it working because my wok is flat-bottomed and I'm using the large element? Or am I delusional and the food isn't actually coming out ok?

Food will can come out ok regardless of the heat source used, the thing that will lack from under powered sources is the "wok hei" or the flavor of the wok, and comes from the partial combustion of oils, the charring of foods, and other characteristics of intensely high heat cooking. If I were using your range, I'd put the spurs to it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

This is why you heat the wok empty.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Last weekend I had the opportunity to try some Szechuan peppers. Yeah, the numbing ones. I didn't hate them, but the sensation wasn't particularly good either. I don't know why people claim it is almost as good as having an orgasm. (I read that on wikipedia.)

Trying them by themselves is pretty boring. It's almost like biting on a regular peppercorn and expecting it to taste good. Go eat it in a food.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I was wondering which easy, and I mean really easy, Chinese recipes I can go for, one that uses rice in it would be nice. It would also be nice to use some ingredients that are sort of specific to the Cuisine to make it abit more "exotic", if you catch my drift. Cheers, goons! :) Great thread.

Ma po tofu is a good easy dish, there are two recipes in this thread for it that are linked to in the OP.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That stuff is delicious and one of my favorite comfort foods. Even better if you braise shank, tendon, and tripe and top with some minced zha cai (sichuan pickled vegetable). Also, a bit of rock sugar can help balance some of the saltiness, and a bit of fresh ground sichuan peppercorn at the end can add a lemonyness that brightens the whole thing.

Edit: You can get the broth clearer by skimming the coagulated protein foam that builds up at the beginning of the broth making process, doesn't look like you did it, but it's really more of an aesthetic thing than anything. A little bit of a broth mouthfeel thing, too but it's no big deal.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay, one more. Is there any good rule of thumb on how much to use? I seem to either end up not being able to taste it or my entire mouth is numb, and not in the good way. And it's hard to taste and adjust in a stir fry given how fast it cooks.

If you dry roast them before grinding the numbing effect is more subdued and the lemoniness is more apparent.

Mach420 posted:

Is there a fast way to do this or do I have to go over a pile with some tweezers?

Lightly crush them with the back of a pan or in a mortar, this will crack the shell and then you can pick them out pretty easily.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Good spaghetti or linguine is way better than dried Chinese noodles :ssh:

Really good fresh wheat noodles can't be beat, of course. If you really want dried Chinese, get wide wheat noodles without egg.

There are good dried Chinese noodles, but Sjurygg is right, most are awful. Texture is spongy and soggy instead of toothsome and springy. There are a few good ones though, but they're actually Japanese :sweatdrop: They'll be labeled as "chuka soba" (Chinese soba), will be straight noodles all lined up with each other in the package (like regular soba, zaru udon, or somen), and will be considerably pricier than the standard Chinese egg noodles. The jumbled dried noodle packages named "chuka soba" also suck, so don't be tempted by these.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SnowWolf posted:

I have an electric range and was looking at the cast iron flat-bottom wok http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Iron-Black/dp/B00063RXQK/

It seems incredibly heavy though. Would I be ok with a 10" skillet instead? http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-10-Inch-Chefs-Skillet/dp/B00008GKDJ/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1329689940&sr=1-4

Or should I just look at the carbon woks?

Just get a carbon steel one, they're thinner and lighter than that lodge and will be easier to both handle and cook with.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RHIN0002 posted:

Is this actually a thing? Conceptually, it makes sense; I've just never seen it done before.

AB did it on his seared tuna ep. He put a grill on top and used it for searing. He also broiled a porterhouse underneath one for his porterhouse ep. I've never thought about using one for wokking, but it's a great idea. The only concern I would have is having a chimney with a wide enough mouth to sturdily hold a wok. And that is a lot of prep time for something that takes less than 5 min to cook.

I still think FGM's turkey fryer solution is the best for the money.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 24, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PorkFat posted:

Finally purchased some szechuan peppercorns from the internet. I'm not one to shy away from anything edible and I've acquired tastes for some of the stranger foods from around the world.

But, I think it's safe to say that these little balls of tongue numbing disgustingness are probably the worst things I've ever tasted. I'm sure it's like when you are little and taste unsweetened chocolate when your mother is baking - before it's made into something amazingly awesome. At least, I hope it's like that.

So how do I prepare these things for a dish, in general? Heat them in a dry pan? Smash them up? Throw them in a pepper mill? Fine or coarse? Should they have little bit's of sticks and stems mixed in with them? Do I need to care about those?

Remove the shiny black seeds and the twigs, you just want the outer shell. They should taste lemony and numbing. I usually either spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Using them raw will be more intense than toasted, counter intuitively. I like them as finely ground as I can get them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ovanova posted:

I have a couple pretty bangin Chinese recipes. Maybe I'll post my coconut curry veggies recipe soon.

Are you sure that would be "Chinese"? It sounds pretty "pan Asian". Let's keep this thread Chinese, thanks for the Kung Pao contribution, though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I usually do the push to the rice to the side then add the egg. Then when the egg is just coagulated but still runny I mix it into the rice.

I will sometimes add some oyster sauce, it adds a nice flavor that soy alone can't do.

Honestly though, fish sauce, palm sugar, and lime juice or tamarind juice makes the best fried rice, but that is a Thaithing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ovanova posted:

My preferred Chinese fried rice: egg, julienne carrot, bean sprouts, scallion (green), shiitake mushroom. Sauce: mostly soy with touches of low sodium chicken base, a random rice spirit, and oyster sauce. Pinch of sugar and MSG. Reading other recipes that seems to be mostly standard.

That's when I'm trying to impress though. Honestly fried rice for me is my go-to "poo poo these veggies are going bad" dish.

I've never actually tried Thai style fried rice but that honestly sounds loving delicious. I have to try that soon

Do typical Chinese grocers sell tamarind? I mean I already have tons of tamarind in my house but I'm just curious. Last time I made pad thai I had to hit up three different grocery stores just to get all the ingredients. Ans while we're on the topic, is tamarind used in any Chinese cuisines?

You're not alone in that fried rice is a cleanthefridge dish. When I was growing up, that's what it was, and it still is a majority of the time still. I almost never cook a raw meat just for the purpose of fried rice.

Tamarind should be at any Asian or Latin American grocery. I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd guess that tamarind would be in some southern and south western Chinese foods, as it is an important ingredient in both south east asian foods, and in north indian foods.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

indoflaven posted:

What do the Koreans put in their fried rice that makes it so awesome, just tons of green onion?

kimchi

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

IoT posted:

Any ideas what I can cook with approx 300ml Shoaxing Chinese Rice Wine? (Silk Road brand). I bought a bottle yesterday at my local Asian supermarket to get the value of my purchases over the threshold so I could pay by card.

Tried drinking a glass with the stir fry I cooked last night and didn't like it.

Hoping that if I cook with it I wont have to waste any.

Unless you bought some really good shaoxing, which is doubtful, you should not drink it. Use only for cooking. It goes into the usual marinade for things, can be used to mellow out the harsh fishiness of seafood, and can go into "drunken" things.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Symbol posted:

...asian eggplants...

...probably still with Chinese sausage - 'cause gently caress if those little sausages aren't delicious!

I also have somewhat nebulous plans to try out a friend's recipe for Niu Rou Mien at some point in the near-ish future. Yum! :)

seconding ghost of reagan past, you don't need to salt and sweat asian eggplants, just cut up and cook.

Congrats on trying all of those recipes, I'm glad they all worked out well.

Chinese sausage is very very similar in flavor to chinese bacon and ham. At least the stuff I've had. The big difference is in the texture, one is ground (obviously) and the others are whole chunks of meat with one being fattier (the bacon). When you run out of the sausages, you should try the others, I think you'd like them.

If that recipe turns out to be good, take a picture of it and post the recipe. That is one of my favorite things ever.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I love that stuff. It's great on pretty much everything. I've even just eaten it on fresh baked bread or tossed in spaghetti, no joke.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

This is about the unhealthiest thing ever, but the Laoganma with rutabaga is really good on chicharonnes too.

:stare: you beautiful human being, you. :stare:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

what?! Pig ears are delicious. I don't know any Chinese recipes, but you can make Sisig with them http://goonswithspoons.com/Sisig

Edit: also this: http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-cook-pig-ears/

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 2, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Altair X89 posted:

There used to be a Vietnamese thread and a Phillipino thread, I don't recall a Thai one but nothing's stopping somebody from making one. :)

Both Vietnamese (written by mich) and Filipino (written by me) were victims of Whirled Peas. There were Thai and Chinese ones, as well as Indian a while back that fell into archives. I don't know if mich planned on reviving the Vietnamese thread at some point, but I planned on doing more with the Filipino one in the near future.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Pilipino_Pood

http://goonswithspoons.com/Category:Mich%27s_Recipes

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

squigadoo posted:

question!

I'm trying to make a cold tofu noodle salad with carrot matchsticks and cilantro. I have been adding equal parts soy sauce, black vinegar, and seasame oil and it tastes okay, but not quite right.

Does anyone have a recipe for it? Also, the tofu shreds are firmer and coarser than I remember. I don't imagine there is a way to soften them somehow? Or, now I suspect I'm supposed to buy packages labeled tofu noodles instead of tofu shreds.

Needs sugar, some hondashi, and a touch of ginger. Sub out rice wine vinegar for black. You need to buy softer tofu if you want it to be softer.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the tofu-type shirataki. You need to buy that already made into noodles, unless you really want to trial and error a proprietary factory made product.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Tin Foil posted:

Is there some sort of Asian produce guide? My Asian market has a lot of unlabled produce and I would like to have some idea on how to use them. Pictures would be especially helpful.

I can do a quick shpeal off the top of my head of things that come to mind. Generally, though, they're all used in the same way. Stir fried or quick steamed.

Gai lan, kai lan, Chinese broccoli. Most often steamed and topped with oyster sauce thinned with broth.

Bok choy. Usually sliced up and stir fried. The mature version of:

Baby bok choy. I prefer this to the white ribbed mature version. I like it steamed with a ginger chicken stock, sliced into slivers and stir fried with noodles, stir fried with a meat of some sort.

Napa cabbage. The usual kimchi cabbage, is also added to clay pot stews, used to line steamers, and stir fried with noodles. You can also shred it and make a slaw or salad, you can blanch it and wrap something with it and braise it.

Yu choy. This is just the greens of the plant that makes rapeseed oil. Treat same as gai lan.

Mizuna. Sometimes called Japanese Mustard. It is yet another brassica (all of these so far, brassicas, same family as collards, mustard, broccoli, cauliflower, kale...). Because of the delicate texture, these can be eaten raw, added to salads, but can also hold up to stir fry.

Pea shoots. Quite possibly my favorite green. Just wilt in a bit of hot sesame oil and a touch of soy sauce. Or dress with a sesame vinaigrette and eat raw.

Garlic chives. Mince and stir fry with ground pork and hot bean sauce. Quick and easy dinner. Can also be used the same way you would use chives or scallions

Yard long beans. The quintessential ingredient in proper Sichuan dry fried beans. To me, these are way better than continental varieties of string beans. The texture is just cooler.

Shiso. Leaves are used as a palate cleanser in chirashizushi. It is an herb that is kinda anise-y, sorta minty, but not really. Pinch a corner off and sneak a taste next time you're there, it's kinda hard to describe.

Thai basil. Used in most south east asian foods. It is like basil, but kinda anise-y. The purple stem is the dead giveaway.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 15, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think people hate on flat bottom woks too much. They're fine for home cooking and unless you plan on buying a crazy burner rig, they won't make too much of a difference from a round bottom (and actually should be easier to use with most ranges.) Teflon and plastic handles should be avoided at all costs though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So I'm setting up my registry and ran across this. If you're in the market for a wok you should just get this
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?brn=1&SKU=110612

DO NOT GET THIS

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

squigadoo posted:

mung beans, mushrooms, lapcheong, porkbelly, and salted duck egg yolk for me! Chestnut optional.

I do not understand peanuts in zhong.

The salted duck egg yolk is the BEST PART. And it's the best part of the mooncake! It cuts the sweetness and the texture is fun.

+1 on your zhongzi filling.

I, too, do not understand peanuts in zhong, however I am allergic, and don't speak mandarin, so ordering zhong from the good places is always an adventure :sweatdrop:

Yeah, I don't get the mooncake hate, either.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FATWOLF posted:

Gravity - tried your ma po tofu recipe last night and it was wonderful. My only problem was that it was a little too salty, i think with the sichuan vegetables, chili bean paste, black beans and soy it was just a bit too much. I used low sodium stock but is there any good way to reduce the saltiness. Should I have rinsed off the fermented black beans?

You can try that. Honestly I usually make it that salty to eat with plain steamed rice and it evens out just right. Were you eating it plain?

Holding back on the soy or using less sichuan pickle would help, too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

eine dose socken posted:

Every time I use sichuan peppercorns in a dish, they feel gritty under my teeth, like sand in a badly rinsed salad.

I went to dinner at an awesome chinese restaurant recently, and ate hot pot and salads with lots of sichuan peppercorns, and they didn't feel like that at all..

What am I doing wrong?

You're leaving the shiny black seeds in and grinding them with the rest of the seed coat. You don't want the stems, and you don't want the shiny black seed, just the fruit part.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I assume the "seed coat" is the "fruit" then? Because I can only identify those components. That recipe I posted earlier calls for 1/4 cup of peppercorns. How can you sift through all without wasting a ton of time? The stems seem easy but the little black seeds (which I am betting are the problem) are pretty darn tiny...

You can lightly crush them and the fruit part will fall off and the black seeds will be easier to pick out. Next time buy better quality peppercorns. The better quality ones will have the seeds already removed.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

NLJP posted:

By the way guys, in case you haven't seen it there's a food show making a stir in China at the moment called A bite of China, some of which is now on youtube apparently.

It's really good and, unusually for chinese official TV, really emphasises different ethnicities, subcultures and histories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHNa9qdtlw

The subtitles are real ropey but the show is excellent. I especially love that they foley guys appear to have had a real good time.

edit: later episodes have more on the actual processes of cooking and preparation

This is really great. I've watched two so far and they're really well done. The subtitles aren't that bad for anyone used to speaking to non native english speakers. Want dat Qishan Shao Zi Mian.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crosspost from dinner thread.

After watching the "Staples" episode of the documentary NLJP watched, I got a craving for the Qishan Sao Zi Mian. This was interesting for me because I have never had the dish before, so this is seat of my pants cooking not knowing what the final dish should taste like. Did some googling but couldn't find a concrete recipe. I did find this method though: http://www.chinauniquetour.com/html/2009326/arts-5695.html

quote:

Raw materials:

Noodles, carrots, tofu, ginger, agaric, garlic sprouts, garlic, refined salt, monosodium glutamate, potato, mashed meat, vinegar, five spices powder

So I made a few substitutions on my end with things I had, as I didn't feel like going out to the market for a first draft at a recipe. Subbed shiitake for agaric, scallions for garlic sprouts (scapes, I'm assuming). No Potato or Tofu. Thinly sliced pork for mashed meat. And made my own five spice because I have the components but I never have the preground stuff. I also used Chinkiang vinegar because they didn't specify what vinegar.

Missing from the list but mentioned elsewhere in the "recipe" or on other sites talking about the dish were eggs, woodears, and chile flakes. I omitted egg as it didn't look like it was poached or hard boiled and I couldn't see the texture of it in any pictures of the dish. I used korean chile flakes (gochugaru). I added bok choy because, well, I have a lot of it and need to use it up.

Qishan Saozi Mian by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

I think I went overboard with the chile flakes, it was quite spicy. Also I think next time I will try white vinegar. The chinkiang was good but in the quantities I had to use to get the sourness I was after, the other flavors in Chinkiang were quite strong.

Anyone have a recipe for this dish or anyone who's had the dish have any comments?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jeek posted:

Here is a recipe that seems legit (the blogger claims to be from Qishan). He includes egg (cooked to something like omelette skin before diced), daylily sprout and woodear in his version. The garlic sprout is cut in a special manner as well - it is sliced open lengthwise before diced.

Awesome, thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Golden Gate Bakery, specifically for their egg tarts are the first thing that comes to mind, but yeah, you can't go wrong with wandering and going to one with a long line out the front.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

How authentic or integral is tea seed oil (as at least a high burning point fry oil) to the more traditional dishes?

Is this something used in Chinese-American restaurant kitchens or is the difference between it and say, canola, nearly imperceptible?

Depends on the region of food they specialize in. Hunan? maybe. It's also expensive to source and taste wise contributes minimally. I would say most places substitute for something cheaper and easier to source.

Steve Yun posted:

GrAviTy84, you're in the LA area, right? Know a place that does good authentic stir fry? I need a reference point.

Um, I like a few places in Rowland Heights, Monterey Park. I only frequent New Golden City Dumpling House and Golden China (next door to it) in the 99 Ranch Market shopping center on Nogales. The Q noodle across the street is pretty good, too. As is Class 302 and Capital Seafood in that shopping center are good, too.

And New Capital Seafood up the highway on Fullerton is ok for dim sum. Not the best but it's good for the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

aejix posted:

This may belong in the canning thread but thought I would ask here - I have poo poo all of an idea when it comes to asian cooking but see quite a lot of recipes that require or recommend adding sichuan pickled vegetables. Does anyone have any experience in making their own sichuan pickled vegetables that could share their general technique/base recipe?

Repost from another request in another thread.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Here you go, I've added my personal opinions on the recipe and how I do it differently in parentheses.

Fuchsia Dunlop posted:

Brine:
2.25 cups water
1/4 cup sea salt
4 dried chilies (not enough, I would add more, I would also grind them)
1/2 teaspoon whole Sichuan peppercorn (I would toast this first)
2 tsp strong rice wine or vodka
1/2 star anise
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled (and rough sliced)
a chunk of cassia or 1/3 of a cinnamon stick

Basically, bring brine to a boil, add all spices, let brine cool. Put cleaned and prepped veg into a clean, sanitized wide mouthed jar, add cooled brine. Fashion some sort of method to keep the veg under the brine surface, I use a sandwich bag filled with more brine. Let ferment in a cool, dark place. Takes about a week at first to ferment, you can always replenish the veg to the old brine and it will take a bit less time in consecutive batches this way, as the fermenting yeasts and bacteria will already be present in large quantities. If you choose to reuse the brine, you will need to top off with more "fresh" brine as the salt levels will change, and the brine will evaporate, etc. over time.