Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is it possible to get a proper wok pan that works with an electric stove?

I use an electric stove with a flat bottomed Wok and it works great. And actually I disagree with the OP, my electric stove gets hotter than any gas range I've used. The only problem is that the heat is very localized to the bottom of the Wok where as on a wok burner you get a bit more of an even heat.

Dough is was just flour, yeast, a bit of salt, and water. Mixed it until firm and then let it rise for about 2 hours. Beat it down and rolled the dough into a long string and cut into little balls.

Filling was ground pork, napa cabbage, green onion, 5 spice, and ginger. Cut up the cabbage and onion add in ground pork, spices, and ginger. Stir until mixed.

Roll the dough flat, place a ball of your filling in the middle and fold the dough around the top to make a dumpling (the fold is a bit complicated and I frankly suck at it but it is just cosmetic). Let the dumpling sit for about 20 minutes to let the dough rise again, then steam on a bamboo steamer for 15-20 minutes or until cooked in the middle.

Here is a crappy video of me making a badly folded (but delicious) dumpling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoYM9cQirl8

This is one of my favorite foods from China, it is commonly eaten as breakfast there. Almost every restaurant will have bamboo steamers full of dumplings each morning for the morning rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives

Can anyone comment on the availability of these in the USA? Im currently in Beijing and these are just about the tastiest things in the world. Make amazing Jiozi.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
It's time to get a REAL Chinese recipe in this thread. :china:

地三鲜 Di San Xian (Yes mother loving PINYIN not Jyutpingffffttttt or whatever pansy "Chinese" those other recipes are in)
Roughly means Three Fresh Earth.

I found this dish going to the local Chinese restaurant here in Beijing. It is a popular northern dish, and basically every local place will serve it. I thought it was simple enough to make, and loving amazing to eat so here is this post.

What you will need:
1 or 2 Eggplants (the eggplants are smaller here in China than in the USA, so you might get by with one)
2 or 3 large potatoes
2 green peppers
4 cloves of garlic
Cooking Oil (I use peanut oil because it has a high smoke point)
Soy sauce (I use dark *I think because I can't read the lable*)

Prepare your vegetables. I cut my potatoes thin to speed up cooking. I cut the eggplant length wise, and then length wise again and then cut into small pieces. Cut the green pepper however you like. Dice the garlic into thin slices that will cook quickly.

Pour about half an inch of oil in the bottom of your wok. Turn the fire on *surface of the sun* or as hot as it will go. Let your wok get to the point of smoking and throw in your potatoes.

I'm not too GWS, but I think this is referred to as shallow frying (opposed to deep frying?) but you want to cook them to a golden brown and tender throughout. Strain out the oil and set the cooked potatoes aside on a plate.

You should still have a quarter of an inch of oil in the pan, if not, add some more. Let it heat up again and throw in the eggplant. Keep the eggplant moving since it is naturally a little dry and likes to stick.

Once the eggplant is tender, add the cut up green pepper and diced garlic. If you're running low on oil in the pan, add a tad bit more. Keep tossing the green pepper, eggplant, and garlic in the pan. I use a spoon to keep as much vegetable in contact with the outside of the pan as possible.

Once the green pepper is starting to shrink and becomes tender, add the potato. Toss to mix well. Throw some soy sauce over top and toss to until the food is evenly coated. I put a lid on the wok at this point to keep some moisture in and stopping it from getting burnt.

Throw it on a plate and serve.

So there you have it. One of the dishes that keeps REAL China moving. A meal fit for a communist-- no fancy spices and no stupid capitalistic ingredients. You could grow this meal in the garden and cook it up while you are not smelting steel in your fireplace at home. Hu Jintao is probably eating a plate of this right loving now.

共产主义中国是真正的中国!**

*Note, I know my kitchen is messy
*I didn't have enough eggplant when I took these photos
*I know I am not good at taking photos
**Just google translate

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 26, 2011

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Obviously you've never heard of Chinese nationalism, nor the opinions of northern Chinese vs southern Chinese, and probably never read a Chinese blog/message board/chat room ever. SORRY!

And while I agree most is stir frying, cooking the potatoes is not, more like deep frying but not with so much oil.

Also, sorry, not pictured is my big gently caress off cleaver. I get it sharpened once a week for 1 RMB from some guy on a bicycle. I use that little one just to peel potatoes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

vxk5004 posted:

Jiaozi sounds perfect - I just wanted to be sure to have the right filling. I'm not exactly looking for the typical Chinese restaurant fare, but I want to be as authentic as possible.

This sounds great, I'll be trying it tomorrow, thanks!

Well a popular variety of Jiaozi in Beijing is Leek (Garlic Chives Sans flowers) and scrambled eggs with various spices.

I scramble 2 eggs and really mash them up into as small of pieces as you can. Chop the garlic chives into small pieces as well and mix with the egg. Add a splash of oil, 5 spice, soy sauce, and if you like - salt (easy to make them too salty so be careful).

I hardly ever make the wrappers because they are a giant pain in the rear end, but it is really just flour and water. Many supermarkets will have frozen "Giaozi" "Jiaozi" or round "Wonton" wrappers, they all work.

Folding is up to you. Most places I get Jiaozi at don't fold them fancy. I just fold over and put 3 pinches to keep them shut. Others put many different pleats.

Just cook in boiling water until they begin to float and expand. The wrappers will be slightly translucent.

I don't like dipping sauce with Jiaozi, but many places will serve dark vinegar with soy sauce. You can add in dried red pepper and chili oil to make it spicy. In the USA most Chinese joints serve vinegar, soysauce, and sugar.

Other types that I've had are
Fennel, egg, and meat
Meat, egg, and leek
Meat and cabbage
Three treasure (Mushroom, Fish or meat, and leeks)

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Sjurygg posted:

Really really really easy Chinese rice recipe:

By weight 1 part rice to 10 parts water. Boil poo poo out of until turns into thick soup. Eat for breakfast with a little soy sauce, fried bread strips, fried eggs with soy sauce, pickles or even just plain like it is. Congratulations, you are now partaking of Zhou Almighty. Wanna go fancy? Use chicken stock instead of water. Or add boiled bits of pork innards. Or hundred-year eggs in pieces (those are very good in a completely non-machismo kind of way).

Chicken salt works well too.

Other popular variations are millet (小米) and corn (玉米)。 I like millet best because it has a richer flavor without needing to add a bunch of salt of butter or whatever suits your taste. Corn is a lot like grits with a bunch more water.

Also, 皮蛋 (century egg) :barf:

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Speaking of the cure, meat still sticks a bit when first put in. Will that ever really change?

Whenever I first put meat in my wok, I make sure that I am always moving my wok slightly so that it does not stick at first. I've never been able to make it not stick without keeping the meat moving.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 5, 2012

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
炒合菜 (chao3he2cai4)

This dish literally means “Fried Together Food” and there are many different ways to cook it. It is a popular dish in Beijing. I’ve prepared it my favorite way. With a side of white rice, feeds 2.

Requires:
2 Large Eggs
200g Pork Loin
300g Bean Sprouts
150g cup Garlic Chives (Chinese Leeks)
2 Garlic cloves
Welsh Onion (葱)
Chinese vermicelli
2g Salt
Pinch MSG
4g White Sugar
2g Fivespice
8g Soy Sauce
8g Brown Vinegar

Start by boiling the bean sprouts to pre cook them. If you do not boil them first, they will not sir fry well. Once they are done, I cook them in cold water and set aside.

Cut the garlic chives into 2 inch pieces. Cut the spring onion into thin diagonal slices (cut 45 degrees across the stem). Cut garlic into thin slices.

Cut the pork loin into very thin strips. This is best done by putting the meat in the freezer for up to one hour to get it very firm (but not frozen). I made all my strips across the grain of the meat.

Beat two eggs in a bowl and set aside.

In a saucepan bring water to a boil.

Ensure you have everything ready to go before starting the cooking..

Add oil and heat your wok up to high temperature. Add the garlic. Let the garlic brown slightly and add the green onion and then the meat. Keeps the meat moving so it will not stick to your pan. Add the Fivespice to the meat.

Put your vermicelli in the boiling water.

Add the beansprouts and garlic chives to the wok. Start tossing with the meat. Toss in a pinch of msg, salt, soy sauce, and vinegar. To balance out the sour of the vinegar, add sugar.
Plate the vermicelli first, then pour the contents of the wok ontop of it.

Quickly rinse out your wok and dry with a paper towel. Heat it up to ensure there is no water remaining and add oil. (Really really make sure you don’t have any water on your wok or else you’ll either start a grease fire or get yourself covered in hot oil!) Add the egg to the pan and start to swirl it around so the egg coats the sides of the wok to make a large flat omelet.

Plate the omelet on top of the dish.

Also, sorry, I don't have measurements. All the Chinese website's I've found do not have measurements, and I cannot even find measuring spoons/measuring cups in the markets here. So I just try and do everything to taste (cooked this dish about 3 times to nail it down). I cooked it again for dinner and estimated my measurements based on my 2gram salt measuring spoon I found. Meat and vegetable weight is from the supermarket.

**Also, I have no idea what type of onion or plant this is. People all give me different translations and it is often called by different names in the markets.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 10, 2012

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Well, it's still confusing because they all have interchangable common names, but from what I've gathered from my dictionary and baidu。。

葱 are - Welsh Onion
小葱 are - Scallion
韭葱 are - Leeks
韭菜 are - Garlic Chives

With the exception of 韭菜, they all are called as 葱 in the markets.. I never thought figuring out what type of onion I have could be so confusing.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Well those steel coils are glowing red hot. People say electric stoves don't make enough heat, but I find they make more than enough. Maybe not as much as a wok burner or turkey fryer, but they put out more heat that a standard gas range.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: because I'm now really wanting to do the dumpling dinner, what's a good vegetarian filling? Lots of vegetarian friends...

Can you eat egg? The standard 素包子 or 饺子 in Beijing is 韭菜鸡蛋 (Garlic chives and egg). Just diced garlic chives, salt, a little black vinegar and scrambled eggs cooked in plenty of oil.

If you can eat shrimp, you can make 三鲜 which consists of small little dehydrated shrimps, diced shiitake mushroom, and egg. Sometimes nappa cabbage inside too.

I loving love dumplings. Cooked up a big batch tonight. I normally cook pork and garlic chives and another pot of egg and garlic chives. Tonight I tried making 西红柿鸡蛋 (tomato and egg) but they didnt turn out well. They were lacking flavour and really hard to fold the wrappers, they were too wet.

One of my student's grandfathers told me that they make pumpkin jiaozi. Ive never seen or eaten them, this this autumn I want to try them. Anyone had them or know more ahout them?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Awesome. I'm out of wrappers or I'd make some of these right the gently caress now. And do you happen to have transliterations? I can read precisely zero Chinese, and one of the folks who may come to any hypothetical dumpling dinner speaks Chinese. I'd like to have some words to butcher.

Wait, I think I know the first two :neckbeard:. Baozi and jiaozi. That's it, though.

素包子 Jiaozi (boiled dumplings)
饺子 Baozi (steamed dumplings)
韭菜鸡蛋 JiuCaiJiDan (JiuCai means Garlic chives, JiDan is egg)
三鲜 SanXian (San means Three, Xian means Delicious/Fresh)
西红柿鸡蛋 XiHongShiJiDan(XiHongShi is tomato, Ji Dan is egg)

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I always find that every single part of the lotus plant has a bit of a floral taste.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
炒面 ChaoMian

This is the standard way that it's served in small mom and pop style fast food places in Beijing. It's quick, easy, and good for cleaning out the fridge of leftover vegetables.

What you Need
Cold, Cooked flour noodles
Cabbage*
Egg
Dark Soy Sauce
ShanXiLaoChenQu (ShanXi Mature Vinegar)
Salt
MSG
Meat or other protein.

I don't know the exact type of cabbage. In Beijing it's 圆白菜 which always translates "western cabbage". Napa Cabbage works too, but is less tasty.

Chop your cabbage into little squares. Chop any other vegetables into small pieces that will cook quickly.

Heat up your wok and put a good amount of oil in the bottom. This is all the oil you will use, so don't use too little. Scramble your eggs at the bottom.

Once the eggs are done, put your cabbage and other vegetables into the pan and start tossing with the eggs. Cook the cabbage just about one or two minutes, not until it is soggy.

Add your cold noodles and start tossing. If you let them sit in the pan without tossing they will start to stick. While tossing, add a splash of dark soy sauce, salt, and msg. Keep tossing until everything is mixed. The final step is adding a splash (1 tablespoon) of ShanXi Vinegar. Once everything is mixed again, serve on a plate.

Total Cooking time: 5 minutes.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
木须肉 (MooShuPork)

This is one of my favorite dishes..a Northern Chinese Dish popular inside and outside of China. In the United States (and possibly sometimes in China) it's served with flat flour pancakes and hoisin sauce. However, I've ordered it at all types of restaurants and I've never once gotten sauce and pancakes in Beijing.

What you need (2 people):
里脊肉 Pork Loin 250g
黄花 Day lily 10-15 flowers
木耳 Wood ear fungus 100g
黄瓜 Cucumber (1 small)
鸡蛋 3 Large Eggs
盐 Salt
酱油 Soy Sauce
淀粉 Starch
MSG

Before you start: I used both dehydrated Day Lily flower and Wood Ear fungus. It's cheaper and easier to get than fresh and they hydrate quite easily. It's probably going to be next to impossible to find these two in the USA outside of specialty stores, so try and get dried so you can use them over a longer time. I hydrate them in a pot of lukewarm water for 30 minutes before cooking.

Cut the cucumber at a 45 degree angle to get long thin slices. Don't cut them too thick or they won't cook, too thin and they will be soggy. I cut mine about 1/8th of an inch thick. I also use small wood ear mushrooms, if you get the big ones (some are huge) cut into smaller squares. Some people cut them into sticks, but I don't like that style.

1. Cut the meat into thin slices. Don't cut it into 丝 (sticks), rather big flat slices. Put the meat into a bowl and add just enough egg white to coat all the meat (less than one egg). Keep the yolk and remaining egg white in another bowl. Add 1 tsp of starch to thicken the mix and let sit.

(Note: I used too much egg when I made this, you want to use a less)

2. Crack and add your other two eggs to your leftover yolk and egg white. Bring your wok up to temperature, add enough oil to coat the pan, and add your egg. Let the eggs start to cook like an omelette before you scramble. You want to have great big chunks of egg, not a ton of little tiny pieces. Remove the egg from your pan and set aside.

3. Bring your pan up to temperature, add another coating of oil. Add the meat and egg mixture. The egg white will try to stick to your pan, so keep it moving to prevent this. Add a splash of soy sauce while cooking.

(No picture, I was too busy stirring meat to take a photo here)

4. Once the meat is cooked add the Day lily. Cook the day lily about 30 seconds before adding the wood ear mushroom. Once the wood ear mushroom is in, add a splash of water to keep anything from becoming dry and burning. Add salt and MSG. Keep moving everything. After about 1 minute of cooking the mushroom, add the cucumber The water should have thickened to a thick sauce by now, if not or if you added too much water, add a dash of starch until it starts to thicken.

5. Add the egg and stir fry for 30 more seconds. Serve as a 炒菜 (side dish) or 盖饭 (on rice).

Total time from starting the meat until finished, less than 5 minutes*.

*If you have a stove with low output, then this will be longer. The pan will cool most when the wood ear mushroom is added. You can lengthen the time you spend cooking it to bring your pan back up to temperature.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 20, 2012

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

pogothemonkey0 posted:

So this may sound like a stupid question, but are you supposed to eat the copious amount of dried peppers that come with some sichuan dishes?

No, not really. I find they are quite good after toasting and I usually eat them then.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Ive tried making various tomato dumplings and they always end up a soggy mess. I would love to know how to make them.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Now, at this point it's important you start stirring and never stop. The potatoes will stick to the wok regardless of how well seasoned it is if you let them sit for to long in one spot and lose the nice crispiness we want.

Stir frying potatoes is a real bitch.

I'm going to try and make tomato dumplings tonight, I'll report back how it goes, I'll try the straining the gooey part methods as I dont' have a big enough freezer to freeze all my individual portioned dumpling fillings.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Has anyone ever gotten ShanXiLaoChenCu (Shanxi aged vinegar) in the US? I see some bottles on amazon but their reviews are not so good.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I want to make rice porridge but I don't feel like stopping to buy bone-in chicken before I go home. Would this work with shredded-up pork loin instead or is it just too lean? My mom gave me 8 lbs of pork loin that I don't know what to do with.

For what it's worth, 皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pidanshourouzhou) is one of the most popular porridges in Beijing. Its just sliced pork loin with some chives, ginger, and preserved egg in a plain white rice porridge.

Getting preserved egg in the states might be difficult, but the porridge isnt bad without the egg. just add more vegetables.

Pork loin is one of the most popular cuts for cooking. Pork belly gets all the fame in this thread (rightfully so, it's delicious), but most dishes call for pork loin. It can be cut into slices across the grain 片(pian), or cut into small match sticks 丝 (si). This is stir fried with just about any vegetable you can buy, but some more famous dishes that stand out are Smells like fish meat 鱼香肉丝 (yuxiangrousi), moosho pork 木须肉(muxurou), and kungpao pork宫爆肉丁(gongbaorouding). I think this thread has recipies for all of those dishes.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 23, 2013

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

caberham posted:

Don't forget Donkey Sandwiches :swoon:

The way they season the meat reminds me of corned beef. Donkey burgers consist of seasoned and diced donkey meat, green peppers, and fat on a flakey biscuit. Amazing

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wife got some pork belly today at the Asian market. Says she wants to do something similar to the Red Cooked Spare Ribs in the OP. We have various soy sauces, yellow wine, rice vinegar, etc. She says she wants to do something similar to 回鍋肉/huiguorou.

Question... should we steam/boil the pork belly first? She said the way to cook it was to slice it very very thin and toss it in a hot pan/oil. Figured it would need to be cooked/partially cooked before hand for quick cooking in a pan.

Slice it thin, put into boiling water, then take out. While your vegetables are cooking throw the meat back in. 回锅 means returned to the pot (twice cooked).

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

There is a Korean food thread!

Kimchi will keep basically forever, especially in a fridge. If it's not moldy and doesn't smell like death it's okay.

But Kimchi always smells like death!

ookuwagata posted:

What can I do with pidan eggs other than chop it and use as a topping for jook?

PiDan ShouRou Zhou

White rice zhou (congee) with diced pork loin, diced pidan, and an assortment of vegetables including green onion, garlic, and often lettuce.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Never seen this before, anyone know how it's used?

The Nanjing themed place here has a soup dish of soft tofu and shrimp roe. I wonder if they could be interchanged.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I've had yuxiangkaoyu(鱼香烤鱼) before. It's a type of wushankaoyu(巫山烤鱼). So my bet would be freshwater.

Speaking of, I don't think there is any Sichuan dish better than broiled fish. It's a whole fish, cut in half and laid flat with the skin facing up. It gets broiled with a salt, sugar, and spice rub on the skin. It's then served on top of cabbage, meatballs, wood ear mushroom, tofu skins, lotus roots, potato noodles, and comes swimming in Chili oil. They garnish it with plenty chilies, onions, and whatever else.

Also, don't be a scrub and get the lovely grass carp version, get the Chinese catfish.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you know the characters for broiled fish and catfish? Nothing at the fish restaurant seems to translate, my usually reliable Pleco poo poo itself and produced nothing but nonsense when I was trying to go through the menu there.

Broiled fish is 烤鱼, at least in Beijing most places will advertise that they have 巫山烤鱼. It's a type of ChongQing food, so if you can find a ChongQing restaurant, they are sure to have it. But just keep your eyes open, most restaurants that have live fish at the entrance will have this dish.

Grass carp is 草鱼 which isn't a bad fish, but it has a a lot of bones.
Catfish generally is 鲶鱼 which is the generic term for it. There are a lot of different types, typically more expensive.. These are usually coming from specific rivers. For example, the place I always go to has 清江鱼 a type of catfish from a river in Hubei.
Snakehead fish 黑鱼 is another type of fish common. I've never had this cooked this style before.

Protip, install a hover-over Chinese dictionary in Chrome or Firefox and get on https://www.dianping.com. It's the Chinese version of Yelp.

http://www.dianping.com/search/map/category/8/10/g4473
Here is a map of fish places in Chengdu, you can scroll and zoom in and it will refresh the restaurants on the map. So just zoom in to where you usually eat and look for 4 and 5 star places in your price range.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

eine dose socken posted:

Should I try and stick to buying products made in Taiwan?

While yes, China has had it's share of food related problems, you're not going to drop dead if you eat something from mainland China. Afterall, 1.4 billion people eat food from there every day (and probably many more from exported food) and they are not all dying.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Usually you get two different types of HongShaoRou depending on how it's going to be eaten.

If it's a main dish, then it is mostly meat and has very few vegetables, a lot of garlic, and peppers.

If you're getting it gaifan (on rice - usually as a meal) then it includes a lot more vegetables to counter the saltiness of the meat.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Also, I recommend this site for finding Chinese recipes.

http://www.meishij.net/

Most recipes come with photos detailing every step, the ingredients are photos and it's easy to Google translate using Chrome or getting a popup browser dictionary.

Here is that delicious looking HongShaoRou

http://www.meishij.net/jiangchangcaipu/hongshaorou_26.html

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I don't think I can live a happy life without 山西老陈醋 (ShanXi Lao Chen Cu), However I don't think I've ever seen it in the US. It isn't as sweet as some other Chinese vinegars, but is good for adding to fried rice or noodles, and makes a great dipping sauce for dumplings.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

shaitan posted:

I'm going to be travelling to Xi'an for work in a month or so. Any recommendations for regional dishes? I most likely won't be able to be picking the places to go, so places recommendations won't work. I also don't know exactly where I'll be staying.

In ShanXi, noodles and bread are king. Because of the arid conditions with long winters, wheat, barley, and corn are widely grown around the area.

One of the most common types of bread is called SuBing (Flakey Pastry). This is made from flour and yeast and is then coiled to create a flaky layered texture. They are usually either pan fried or cooked on an oily sheet in an oven. From this type of bread, two of ShanXi's most famous dishes can be made.

RouJiaMo - Meat Hamburger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rou_jia_mo

YangRou PaoMo - Lamb and bread soup

Because of the lack of rice in the area, noodles emerged as the staple dish in ShanXi. Many noodle houses around China are simply labeled ShanXi Restaurant. Most of the time noodles are served in a soup with tomatoes and rape.
DaoXiaoMian - Knife Cut Noodles

LaMian - Hand Pulled Noodles

KaoLaoLao - Rolled steamed noodles.

Also don't forget to try out the street food. You'll find lamb kebabs (YangRouChuan), spicy sour cold noodles (SuanLaMian), Roasted Baozi (KaoBaozi).

Remember, don't restrict yourself to just ShanXi food. If you look around, you'll find food from all over China that will be just as good as if you were visiting that area.

kontona posted:

I had this nearly every day when I was in Xian and it was absolutely delicious. Wish I could find a place that served it in the US.

There was a place in Chicago Chinatown that was advertising PaoMo. I meant to grab a bowl when I was there last week, but I never had the time.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Most street vendors and a lot of people outside of the cities are still not using gas in China just because of how cheap coal is.

Coal here is usually crushed into a powder and then pressed into these pellets to maximize surface area and speed up the burning process. The result is an incredibly hot fire that creates its own convection currents to increase the heat even more.

These pellets cost about .8 jiao (13cents) or so and burn for about an hour or more providing enough heat to cook an entire dinner.

http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/travels/china_carbon/china_carbon.html

It is only in the new highrise apartments and big cities with tougher pollution controls that people use gas over coal.

PS dude makes awesome fried noodles

Edit: This technology actually came from Japan, but don't tell the Chinese that !

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Ladle gets used when there is a lot of oil or juice to continually ladle the hot liquid over the cooking food.