Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
So what's up with GFWL? I recently reinstalled GTAIV, and according to Steam I already own the Complete Edition, which includes the DLC. But when I try to open up the Episodes from within the game, GFWL believes that I still need to buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Games for Windows live was shut down.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ghableska posted:

So what's up with GFWL? I recently reinstalled GTAIV, and according to Steam I already own the Complete Edition, which includes the DLC. But when I try to open up the Episodes from within the game, GFWL believes that I still need to buy them.
If you have both on steam you cant use the in-game launcher, its really more of a "DLC available!" notice. It would work if you bought the DLC via GFWL, you'll have to exit IV and launch the episodes separately from steam.

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 29, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

In my mind, Bully and Red Dead Redemption are the two best examples of what Rockstar can achieve, GTA be damned.
I think the specificity of it all really helps. GTAs just try to do so drat much. For how breathtaking Los Santos is, the fact that every student at Bullworth (Outside of prefects?) is a named NPC who I can play frisbee with still impresses me more.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 9, 2014

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008

Cage posted:

If you have both on steam you cant use the in-game launcher, its really more of a "DLC available!" notice. It would work if you bought the DLC via GFWL, you'll have to exit IV and launch the episodes separately from steam.

Huh, I guess Steam is just lying to me then. I never actually bought the DLC, but Steam still believes I have the complete edition. So I guess there's no way of playing the Episodes without buying them through Steam then?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ghableska posted:

Huh, I guess Steam is just lying to me then. I never actually bought the DLC, but Steam still believes I have the complete edition. So I guess there's no way of playing the Episodes without buying them through Steam then?
Did you buy the "Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack" on steam, which is 5 seperate games? or "Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition"? Sorry Im confusing myself here.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 29, 2014

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
I bought the standalone version of GTA IV back when it came out on Steam, before any of the DLC had been released. But looking at the store page, Steam says that I already own the GTA IV Complete Edition, which includes Episodes from Liberty City.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

ghableska posted:

I bought the standalone version of GTA IV back when it came out on Steam, before any of the DLC had been released. But looking at the store page, Steam says that I already own the GTA IV Complete Edition, which includes Episodes from Liberty City.

Is it because they don't sell it without the DLC anymore? I bought them separately, so starting the DLC is a seperate game entirely within Steam.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I bought the complete GTA pack on the Steam sale a few weeks back like some of you people did it seems, if I'm playing the episodes does that mean I get the full, full soundtrack or just the cut down versions you would get if you were playing the disc based versions on consoles?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Narcissus1916 posted:

In my mind, Bully and Red Dead Redemption are the two best examples of what Rockstar can achieve, GTA be damned.

What about San Andreas?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

circ dick soleil posted:

What about San Andreas?

V stomped San Andreas.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Install Windows posted:

V stomped San Andreas.

Not true.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

So this has probably been asked/answered before, but how the gently caress do you even play GTA4 now with GFWL shut down? It wants me to log in in order to save during the single player campaign, but when I try to log in to GFWL...nope.

Is there a workaround or do I just sit while Microsoft laughs at me?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Schiavona posted:

So this has probably been asked/answered before, but how the gently caress do you even play GTA4 now with GFWL shut down? It wants me to log in in order to save during the single player campaign, but when I try to log in to GFWL...nope.

Are you sure it is the GFWL shutdown? That's not supposed to happen yet. I couldn't log in recently, and I discovered that for me, it was because Microsoft decided that I hadn't logged in in about a year, so they deleted my account and all the games I had purchased with actual real money.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Guys I got word that R* games is teaming up with nabisco and fiji water what could this mean.. could we be seeing the end of the era of RL advertisements not tainting our gta franchise? very hosed up if true...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Schiavona posted:

I just made a 2nd account today because I am a jerk in multiplayer. Maybe you have the login details wrong.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Install Windows posted:

V stomped San Andreas.

In the game-breaking bugs department, sure. And V did top San Andreas for have the worst multiplayer experience this side of the Xbone.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I am still playing GTAO, I find it to be a more engaging multiplayer experience than something like CoD, where you shoot mans x infinity and that is the entirety of it.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

circ dick soleil posted:

Guys I got word that R* games is teaming up with nabisco and fiji water what could this mean.. could we be seeing the end of the era of RL advertisements not tainting our gta franchise? very hosed up if true...

I hope they'll do "Fiji Oreo Massacre" and be done with it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

titties posted:

I am still playing GTAO, I find it to be a more engaging multiplayer experience than something like CoD, where you shoot mans x infinity and that is the entirety of it.

Are heists out yet?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't played any of the GTA games yet, but being a big fan of Saints Row (especially SR2) and Sleeping Dogs I decided to try out GTA IV while I wait for V to come out on the PC.

...and I'm finding it slow and boring as poo poo. Tiny bits of gameplay separated by long cutscenes about annoying people and driving segments, nothing to do in free roam, basically no customisation... it feels more like work than a game.
Am I weird / missing something, or is GTA fundamentally different to the 'GTA-alikes'?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't played any of the GTA games yet, but being a big fan of Saints Row (especially SR2) and Sleeping Dogs I decided to try out GTA IV while I wait for V to come out on the PC.

...and I'm finding it slow and boring as poo poo. Tiny bits of gameplay separated by long cutscenes about annoying people and driving segments, nothing to do in free roam, basically no customisation... it feels more like work than a game.
Am I weird / missing something, or is GTA fundamentally different to the 'GTA-alikes'?
GTA IV is fundamentally different to all other GTAs, with the possible exception of GTA 3. GTA 3 was pretty bare bones but got away with it because it was the first 3D GTA. GTA IV tried to go bare bones as well and hoped to get away with it for being the first serious and gritty GTA. It didn't quite pull it off unfortunately.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fuckpot posted:

GTA IV is fundamentally different to all other GTAs, with the possible exception of GTA 3. GTA 3 was pretty bare bones but got away with it because it was the first 3D GTA. GTA IV tried to go bare bones as well and hoped to get away with it for being the first serious and gritty GTA. It didn't quite pull it off unfortunately.

So I should try San Andreas then?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
GTA III is my favorite GTA game.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are heists out yet?

Ha ha no, and most of us have given up on them being worth a poo poo once they do hit. Current projected release timeframe is "spring", replacing the previous release date of "winter".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

San Andreas is pretty great, and has everything you want from it. Customization, there's a whole lot to do in free roam, and the cutscenes are much less annoying.
I used to like Vice City more, but after playing a whole lot of San Andreas, I realize it's the better game. For what it's worth, I never did finish IV. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am irrationally annoyed by the fact that CJ holds his pistol like an idiot. I guess that's what you get for not having a military background.

I do appreciate not wanting to murder every NPC within twenty seconds of meeting them though.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Serperoth posted:

San Andreas is pretty great, and has everything you want from it. Customization, there's a whole lot to do in free roam, and the cutscenes are much less annoying.
I used to like Vice City more, but after playing a whole lot of San Andreas, I realize it's the better game. For what it's worth, I never did finish IV. :v:

Vice City I think had better atmosphere and soundtrack but I like 80s stuff in general so I might be biased, but San Andreas definitely is a much better game.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

The Lone Badger posted:

Why not 5? It's the best one. san andreas has aged really badly, it's clunky as hell, drags on & has random difficulty spikes all over the place. It's big, and impressive, but not a very streamlined game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Why not 5? It's the best one. san andreas has aged really badly, it's clunky as hell, drags on & has random difficulty spikes all over the place. It's big, and impressive, but not a very streamlined game.

It's not out properly (for PC) yet.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

It's not out properly (for PC) yet.

GTA V plays better on console than any of the 3-era games play on anything, in my opinion.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

wa27 posted:

GTA V plays better on console than any of the 3-era games play on anything, in my opinion.

Not everyone has a console. Looking at The Lone Badger's original question, it looks like that is indeed their issue, since they mention waiting for GTAV to come out on PC.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Do we think they're delaying the PC release to coincide with current gen console releases? I just wish they'd give some sort of time frame.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Either they're taking their time with the PC port to ensure it's not a buggy unoptimized mess like GTA4 was or decided that it's not worth porting to PC, explains why Red Dead Redemption hasn't come out for PC yet and why I still have to keep my 360 around for it.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Starhawk64 posted:

Either they're taking their time with the PC port to ensure it's not a buggy unoptimized mess like GTA4 was or decided that it's not worth porting to PC, explains why Red Dead Redemption hasn't come out for PC yet and why I still have to keep my 360 around for it.

Actually they already explained why RDR didn't get a PC release. It was developed by R* San Diego (While GTA games are made by the much larger Rockstar North studio, and V in particular also had help from the other studios on top of North's work from what I've heard) and basically has code that would be impossible to port over to the PC without a complete rewrite and barely holds together on consoles as it is. Revolver also never got a PC release.

Meanwhile, the only GTA games that haven't gotten a PC release are the portable spinoffs. Rockstar is likely still waiting for a more opportune time when A) the market is less saturated with hype for stuff like Watch Dogs and B) they've gotten the inevitably-disappointing Heists out the door. Or maybe they're waiting until they finally all agree to follow Blizzard and actually realize and own up to the fact that their lovely scummy awful Shark card crap ruins what could be an actually fun game.

Why yes I am still bitter about GTAO how could you tell.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Im hoping they'll announce something after they shut off Games For Windows Live on July 1st, which will in turn disable the GTAIV PC multiplayer. This is way off base since Rockstar has nothing to do with GFWL and really theres only a few hundred people playing online still.

I still play GTAIV PC multiplayer, its sad to think I only have 2 weeks left to play it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/games-for-windows-live-is-dying-we-check-the-life-support-of-ga/

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cage posted:

Im hoping they'll announce something after they shut off Games For Windows Live on July 1st, which will in turn disable the GTAIV PC multiplayer. This is way off base since Rockstar has nothing to do with GFWL and really theres only a few hundred people playing online still.

I still play GTAIV PC multiplayer, its sad to think I only have 2 weeks left to play it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/games-for-windows-live-is-dying-we-check-the-life-support-of-ga/

I just realized a long time ago I bought a rockstar bundle for an alt steam account I let a friend use, then never bothered playing together on the LAN we sometimes use. Is there any way vanilla or LCS gta4 would support lan play even after GFWL goes down?

Also it's May so you've got 6 weeks.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

I just realized a long time ago I bought a rockstar bundle for an alt steam account I let a friend use, then never bothered playing together on the LAN we sometimes use. Is there any way vanilla or LCS gta4 would support lan play even after GFWL goes down?

Also it's May so you've got 6 weeks.
Er, yeah. I know my months.

I just tested it. If you arent signed in to live you cant access the "Multiplayer" option on your cell phone, which then has a "Live" or "LAN" menu. The game would have to be patched, and I doubt Rockstar would do that at this point.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Amazon has a deal where if you buy the Android San Andreas for $7, you get $20 in Amazon appstore credit back.

Is it a worthwhile port? Will you want to kill yourself trying to GET CLOSE TO THE TRAIN, CJ! using a touch screen as controls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Amazon has a deal where if you buy the Android San Andreas for $7, you get $20 in Amazon appstore credit back.

Is it a worthwhile port? Will you want to kill yourself trying to GET CLOSE TO THE TRAIN, CJ! using a touch screen as controls?

If your phone/tablet does hdmi out, it's great on a TV with a USB or bluetooth controller.

• Locked thread