Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tewratomeh posted:

On an unrelated note, why do people trash GTA IV so much and not GTA III? GTA III has even less to do between missions and yet nobody complains. Is it just the fact that GTA III was the first of its kind? Is it really the fact that Claude is a "silent protagonist" and they feel like they're more free to be a bastard?
One came out 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tewratomeh posted:

On an unrelated note, why do people trash GTA IV so much and not GTA III? GTA III has even less to do between missions and yet nobody complains. Is it just the fact that GTA III was the first of its kind? Is it really the fact that Claude is a "silent protagonist" and they feel like they're more free to be a bastard?

Er...

GTA3 has assassin missions, telephone missions (El Burro for instance), cab missions, fire truck missions, vigilante missions, hidden stuff like bulletproof vehicles, the dodo, hidden packages, paramedic missions, and the best drat cheat codes in the series. GTA3 has a lot of content. What are you talking about?

In comparison, GTA4 has what? Friends? Uh...bowling, uh...tv? Stranger missions which rarely pop up?

K8.0 posted:

Niko's motivations don't line up with what he does IN missions or even cutscenes. That's why he's a completely poo poo character.

CJ is a stupid, greedy, easily manipulated, all around bad person and career criminal who's only loyalties are to his friends and family. That makes his character work.

Tommy Vercetti is a complete psychopath and actively enjoys torturing and murdering people. That's why he's the best player character in GTA. Everything he does makes complete sense because he doesn't give the slightest poo poo about other people.

I remember when you first kill your boss, Diaz, and Tommy pretty much decides in an instant to drive to the mall, break all the store windows to not only tell who's in power in town, and to pay him for protection, and return back to the mansion in five minutes time.

Tommy Vercetti, people.

I also love how Tommy comments on the people he works for after missions because he's not a schmuck.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 6, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The best Grand Theft Auto video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drp9o4E7G7U

Really makes me want to purchase the PC version!

edit: Whoop I am a dumbass, this link was posted on the previous page (in my defense, it's a hard-to-see link)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 6, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I can't go back to any older GTA games after playing 4. The physics in 4 were just SO GOOD. I don't like cartoony handbrakes and handling. GTA4 was just right.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cage posted:

One came out 10 years ago.

So it's just nostalgia then? I just don't see the issue with toning down the bullshit they kept adding with each new installment. It was fun bullshit, but where do you go after San Andreas? They kept one-upping themselves until they kind of got backed into a corner, and GTA IV reset everything back to GTA III. I'd imagine that GTA V is going to be the next-generation San Andreas, and I can't wait.

Edit: Also GTA IV had... vigilante missions? And if you count the DLC you also have biker gang wars, drug wars, base-jumping, bike races, etc. When I said "less stuff to do" I meant, just ambient stuff laying around like golf-carts, helicopters, planes and so on, not "side missions". I never did the ambulance or taxi missions in any GTA game anyway.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 6, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tewratomeh posted:

So it's just nostalgia then? I just don't see the issue with toning down the bullshit they kept adding with each new installment. It was fun bullshit, but where do you go after San Andreas? They kept one-upping themselves until they kind of got backed into a corner, and GTA IV reset everything back to GTA III. I'd imagine that GTA V is going to be the next-generation San Andreas, and I can't wait.

GTAIV has less content than GTAIII.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tewratomeh posted:

GTA4 was a brand new engine for the GTA series, like I posted earlier we're probably going to see what happened with the last GTA generation. The next game will probably be better optimized and have more content.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tewratomeh posted:

You're wrong and GTA3 has at least as much side content as GTA4, and definitely has more FUN side content, but that's not the issue.

In terms of :
Side missions
Vehicles
World variety
Pedestrian/vehicle variety by region
Character progression and general abilities

GTA3 > Vice City > San Andreas had massive progression game to game. Then GTA4 took giant steps backward in every area compared to San Andreas and even Vice City in most regards. They also built up a really entertaining universe with tons of connections between the games and then threw it all away.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

K8.0 posted:

You're wrong and GTA3 has at least as much side content as GTA4, and definitely has more FUN side content, but that's not the issue.

In terms of :
Side missions
Vehicles
World variety
Pedestrian/vehicle variety by region
Character progression and general abilities

"Character progression"? Does Claude level up in GTA 3 because I really don't remember that. Also Niko doesn't die when you hit the water. Pedestrian variety by region is greater in GTA IV by simple virtue of the fact that they had a clothing/face randomization feature in GTA IV that actually gives you unique pedestrian types. Vehicle types are about the same, side missions are less I'll admit. But world variety? GTA IV is one of the most detailed cities to date in a video game, and each island is like the size of the entire world map of GTA III.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Here's the thing. In past GTA games you're rewarded for exploring and doing side content.

Do all the ambulance missions? You unlock the ability to run without losing stamina.

Do all the fire truck missions? You become fireproof.

Do all vigilante missions? You get bribe stars sent to your hideout making for easy getaways.

Complete all the taxi missions? You win an unlockable car!

The sandbox genre works not because you have a playground but because you're rewarded for seeking out new stuff and getting new toys throughout the story. You don't get any of this in IV.

In III, every 10 or so hidden packages found gives you something neat. Maybe you get a neat new weapon right outside your hideout for FREE.

In IV, you get nothing for finding pigeons.

In III, you have goals: master the dodo, can I get into that arena? bulletproofing your favorite cars? Done and done.

In IV, there's friends, and a few vigilante missions, and I even recall a few stranger and assassination missions, but aside from that, not much.

Another Castle
May 19, 2006

Yo Ton', you see these two guys?

Himuro posted:

The sandbox genre works not because you have a playground but because you're rewarded for seeking out new stuff and getting new toys throughout the story.

This isn't really true for me, though I think there's room for both. When I do the 'run around and blow stuff up' thing I make my own goals (or not, sometimes the goal is just chaos).
Rewards for a series of optional missions like the ambulance stuff is a good addition but it doesn't come in to play for me when I'm doing my own thing in the sandbox.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

In III, every 10 or so hidden packages found gives you something neat. Maybe you get a neat new weapon right outside your hideout for FREE.

If there's one thing I missed (there's a lot of things I miss) from GTA III and Vice City, it was having weapons spawn near your hideout. Ballad of Gay Tony was the first time that I can recall since Vice City where you'd have free weapons spawn at a safehouse for doing stuff.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

If there's one thing I missed (there's a lot of things I miss) from GTA III and Vice City, it was having weapons spawn near your hideout. Ballad of Gay Tony was the first time that I can recall since Vice City where you'd have free weapons spawn at a safehouse for doing stuff.

San Andreas had it, but there were three sets of collectibles, the pickups didn't appear til you had the entire set, and they were spread out between the three cities.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Ah, how I yearn for the glory days of dying, losing all my weapons, then quickly running to my hideout, grabbing all the weapons, saving, grabbing all the weapons again, ad infinitum until my ammo was maxed out. Then I'd die like 5 minutes later and lose all my ammo :downs:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

At least GTA IV didn't have you lose your guns when you die. It had that going for it.

VV "Don't necessarily have to"? You don't lose them at all... seriously sometimes it seems like you're going way out of your way to make GTA IV look like complete poo poo. It was flawed, and a little boring, but it wasn't a bad game.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 6, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, you don't necessarily have to lose your weapons after dying. Getting your weapons back from the cops after being busted for a fee would be great too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Cage posted:

This is really the only thing that bothered me with GTA4, was that there were only like 8 cheat codes that you could use.

GTASA: http://www.gtasanandreas.net/cheats/pc.php

GTA4: http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/pccheatsg/a/GTA4PCCodes.htm

I mean, at least on PC its fixed with trainers, but on consoles you don't even get a godmode cheat. Thats the best cheat in GTA.

Peds riot + everyone armed + bounty on your head took up _way_ too much of my time. I'd always try and see how far away I could get from a starting point using the fewest amount of vehicles possible.

Also, GTA5 should bring back bicycles. God I loved jumping over things on the mountain bike :buddy:

E:

San Andreas also had the best radio stations out of all of them.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Raising your bike skill to the point where you can jump over cars and poo poo was hilarious.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I can't wait to find out what criminal stereotype the main character of GTA5 will be.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Polo-Rican posted:

The best Grand Theft Auto video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drp9o4E7G7U

Actually, no, it's that video where the guys jumps the quad bike off the mountain only to, immediately and without warning, be crashed into by a passing crop duster. Unfortunately I can't find it.

The friction thing has been around since GTA3. Modding the handling.cfg to make taxis spazz out and launch a mile straight up into the air was glorious, mainly because the AI drove the cars around normally until you nudged them gently. Some areas of the game had a lot of taxis, so you could nudge one and send it careening into the next, setting off a chain reaction of skyrocketing taxis, which, half a minute later, would rain down from the sky and explode violently all over the place, taking pedestrians and other cars with them.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

SplitSoul posted:

Actually, no, it's that video where the guys jumps the quad bike off the mountain only to, immediately and without warning, be crashed into by a passing crop duster. Unfortunately I can't find it.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1Nm2kAW6c

Also, this is the best GTA video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxB4Hg71_NY

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Video with Pompeii > Video without Pompeii

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
After bumming around on imdb I realized that GTA4 didn't have any celebrity voice actors. This should be changed for the next title.

GTA3: Frank Vincent, Joe Pantoliano, Michael Madsen, Robert Loggia, Michael Rapaport
VC: Ray Liotta, William Fichtner, Tom Sizemore, Dennis Hopper, Burt Reynolds, Luis Guzmán, Danny Trejo, Gary Busey, Fairuza Balk
SA: Samuel Jackson, Chris Penn, The Game, Big Boi, Ice T, James Woods, David Cross
GTA4: There are a few celebrities doing radio commercials, but no one voicing a character.

edit:

imdb posted:

Ricky Gervais and Katt Williams both did full motion and voice capture for their brief appearances in their own comedy skits at the Split Sides Comedy Club and on the in-game television.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 6, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If I remember correctly, around the time San Andreas came out, one of the major actors' guilds or unions started rumbling that the publisher should be paying royalties to the actors for each copy sold.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Is Vice City for the PC compatible with an XBox 360 controller or at least can Xpadder be used?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cage posted:

After bumming around on imdb I realized that GTA4 didn't have any celebrity voice actors. This should be changed for the next title.

GTA3: Frank Vincent, Joe Pantoliano, Michael Madsen, Robert Loggia, Michael Rapaport
VC: Ray Liotta, William Fichtner, Tom Sizemore, Dennis Hopper, Burt Reynolds, Luis Guzmán, Danny Trejo, Gary Busey, Fairuza Balk
SA: Samuel Jackson, Chris Penn, The Game, Big Boi, Ice T, James Woods, David Cross
GTA4: There are a few celebrities doing radio commercials, but no one voicing a character.

edit:

The GTA series was pretty much the first series in video game history to have celebrity voices that actually fit the story and setting and didn't feel shoe-horned in for sales. Part of that is the fact that Rockstar never advertised who was in their games. People would just find out and make a big deal about it, or it'd be mentioned offhand in a preview or interview or something, but it wasn't on the box or press releases as a "game feature".

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ Hell yeah Axl Rose on KDST, and Will Forte on that conservative talk radio channel cracks me up.

GigaPeon posted:

Make John Marsden the PC in GTA5. Use the same model, voice, and personality but give him new clothes (keep the hat).

He was the perfect blend of self referential humor, relucant heroism and badassery.
Well that would be kind of silly for it to BE John Martson, but I would absolutely support the main character being some great grandson of John as a nod to RDR.

Ever since GTA3 came out on PS2 before PC (I was so pissed about that at the time) I've always had to buy them on consoles then rebuy them for PC. It sucks that the PC versions feel like console games that are ported but they definitely are a big upgrade over consoles if you have even semi-decent hardware. Anyone considering picking up gta4 or the expansions for pc, we should organize a time to goof off online. There used to be this one guy, m0dulator I think, and whenever I'd find him in free roam he'd be building awesome ramps at the airport.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Himuro posted:

The character descriptions sound like GTA3 trilogy-esque.

I'm expecting it to be the total opposite of IV.

I hope the result is better than what Gay Tony did, though. Gay Tony was weird for me. It tried to be funny and cartoony, but it never really clicked. It felt like a bunch of random dudes doing stupid poo poo, while containing the "realism" of IV.

Luis co-owns the biggest nightclub in Liberty City. Unlike other GTA main characters he's not poor, he's not in desperate need for cash, he starts off with a high end apartment in GTAIV's Manhattan equivalent and yet he's pushing drugs for people, stealing diamonds for his gay boss and jacking army helicopters for his rich middle eastern friends. It just made no sense.

Did you not catch the entire first two hours were they went over again and again how the clubs were tanking badly, and Tony barely had the cash to keep them running, let alone pay Luis? Or how on top of this, they owe tons of cash to various crime families who would like nothing more then to come down and destroy their kneecaps?

Luis needed money just as badly as every other GTA protagonist.

I'm really hopeful for GTAV. I was one of the GTA fans who felt somewhat betrayed by GTAIV just not being anywhere near as fun as previous installments in the series, and focusing a bit to heavily on realism. But after BoGT and what little I've played of RDR, it seems Rockstar somewhat learned their lesson that what made GTA great WAS the driving around in silly gang wars and shooting the police in a stolen tank while exploring dark alleys for crack so you get weapons at your hideout, rather then the silly background drama thuglife that is only there to tie it all together.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I didn't miss it, it's just didn't care for any of the characters in that game. They were so over-the-top, annoyingly so and the missions made no cohesive sense. It was as if they were trying to make Gay Tony have the quirkiness and edge of the old ps2 games, but it fell flat on its face. I mean, I liked it a bit, but it didn't really click with me. Still enjoyed it more than GTA4 vanilla.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Himuro posted:

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1Nm2kAW6c

Also, this is the best GTA video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxB4Hg71_NY

um, what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O33UDPpcsnA&feature=related

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

racistman3D makes the best GTA videos period.

All I want in GTAV is bicycles & ragdolls. I'm a simple man.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

AHAHAHAHA These are amazing

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, so Lost and Damned certainly ended. I was starting to really get into it, too, and I thought it was about halfway done and then the climax kicked off and... that was it. The final confrontation was really unsatisfying, I mean I'm sure it was intentional but after all that bullshit there was no catharsis at all. In fact it felt like the ending of Red Dead Redemption (the actual, pre-credits ending). Not that it was bad, it just came a little too soon I thought.

Himuro posted:

I didn't miss it, it's just didn't care for any of the characters in that game.

Yeah, other than Luis and Tony, the only other character that really stood out in BoGT was Yusuf. Lost and Damned had even fewer, I honestly can't say I cared about any of the characters apart from... okay I can't think of a single one. The senator seemed like an interesting character but you hardly see him (although at one point you see a little too much of him).

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ballad of Gay Tony is the best gta. The characters are very well written and its an interesting change packed full of content. If anyone hasn't played it or didn't like vanilla gta4 its so much cooler. Lost and damned is lame in comparison.

Also they released patches and this game runs fine on my mid range $800 gaming pc on full settings. It sucks that people who experienced technical problems and didn't like gta4 are never going to try ballad of gay tony.

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 7, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't see why Gay Tony is great while Last and the Damned is lame.

Lost and the Damned was probably the most focused GTA, and arguably one of the better written games in the series. Characters have lows, and very few highs, you actually care about their situation because they're so desperate.

In Gay Tony it felt as if all the characters were caricatures instead of just characters. I know GTA likes to poke fun of modern culture a lot, but they usually make interesting characters who stand on their own. Of course there's a few characters who caricature pop culture or some annoying type of person in real life, but they're scarce. In Gay Tony though, it seems every character involved in the story is some sort of play on some stereotype. It gets ridiculous.

For all the praise Gay Tony has received I don't really understand most of it. I especially don't understand the claim that it's well written, but different strokes I guess.

I didn't like Yusuf either. In fact, I hated that guy. I hated the small man, Brucie's brother too. I can't think of one character in that game aside from Tony who I like. Tony is loving hilarious.

The missions are also really loving annoying. There's at least 4 flying missions (out of 20 or so missions, so basically a quarter of the game) and they're all horrible.

I'm guessing why people enjoyed Gay Tony's writing so much was because it's so similar to San Andreas' style, which I hated. SA is way over the top and campy to the point of mimicry, so I guess that's why people enjoy it so much.

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, so Lost and Damned certainly ended. I was starting to really get into it, too, and I thought it was about halfway done and then the climax kicked off and... that was it. The final confrontation was really unsatisfying, I mean I'm sure it was intentional but after all that bullshit there was no catharsis at all. In fact it felt like the ending of Red Dead Redemption (the actual, pre-credits ending). Not that it was bad, it just came a little too soon I thought.

TLAD's ending was great in that they basically gained nothing. Usually in GTA fashion, the hero gains something, either revenge or riches, sometimes both. In TLAD, nothing is truly gained by "winning". Yes, they kill off their old leader, but at the price of their gang being basically defunct and out of commission. It felt like, for the first time in the series since III, the writers didn't glorify the business or the gang life, but the opposite. It wasn't bittersweet either. I felt the same way about III's ending: nothing is truly gained except Claude's life and a fireworks fiesta.

I also think that TLAD was GTA4 done right. That said I really did abhor the prison mission itself. It just wasn't fun.

I have nothing against a more realistic GTA, and I felt that TLAD did that formula pretty well.

Still, despite liking both Gay Tony and TLAD, I ultimately felt both games were forgettable. I ended up beating them and taking it back to gamestop after beating them because I knew I'd never play them again. I even bought GTA4 along with TLAD and Gay Tony so I could give it another shot, but...when I played it I couldn't stand playing it for more than 5 minutes. The controls are so terrible and aged.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 7, 2011

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Himuro posted:

I don't see why Gay Tony is great while Last and the Damned is lame.

Lost and the Damned was probably the most focused GTA, and arguably the best written. Characters have lows, and very few highs, you actually care about their situation with probably the darkest ending, however dark a GTA can get, in the series.

In GTA: Gay Tony, every character is stupid and makes endless jokes for no reason. They're cartoon characters without personality. They take character personalities and make it about nothing but that personality. Like the fact that Tony is gay, this is played on every five seconds.

For all the praise Gay Tony has received I don't really understand most of it. I especially don't understand the claim that it's well written, but different strokes I guess.

I didn't like Yusuf either. In fact, I hated that guy. I hated the small man, Brucie's brother too. I can't think of one character in that game aside from Tony who I like. Tony is loving hilarious.

The missions are also really loving annoying. There's at least 4 flying missions (out of 20 or so missions, so basically a quarter of the game) and they're all horrible.

I thought every mission was fun. This random one was one of my favorites http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTT5rswGdQ it's really well made.

I enjoyed the atmosphere in bogt and I thought all of the missions and cut scenes were funny and exciting. I don't hate lost and damned either, it was fun, but bogt feels like more of a real expansion to me.

Also, I thought Tony was made pretty well for a gay man and didn't just constantly play up stereotypes to the extreme. I can see why someone would prefer lost and damned though, it was kick rear end in parts that were different than bogt. I really just want people to get episodes from liberty city who hated on the vanilla because both episodes combined is a full gta game and blows gta4 away (and I loved 4 for the most part).

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 7, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That train mission in Gay Tony was just awesome.

You know what the best part of all three GTAIV's is? How they managed to connect each of the games. Like the bank robbery where you encounter Niko, Luis AND Johnny and by playing each game you get a view of how they each got to that point and play the story through their eyes.

It would be cool if GTAV has two main characters and they encounter each on a regular basis, making for some cool storytelling.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

MeinGott posted:

racistman3D makes the best GTA videos period.

Grand Theft Auto Megathread: your favorite Racistman3d vids [cool]
http://www.youtube.com/user/racistman3D#p/u/2/co9RAXsoE_I

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
V as a crooked cop would own. I know this forum has brought it up a ton of times in these threads I REALLY hope they do it.

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
V letting you play as two mains, a crooked cop and a gangster, would be so awesome. Playing the game as two different characters with two different storylines and gameplay features, abilities would be awesome.

It's the natural evolution after IV's multi-pov thing.

• Locked thread