Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Where do I go for the best and most up-to-date EFLC mods? It's a jungle out there. Specifically looking for more realistic weapons stats and better models, essential script mods, good texture overhauls, ENBs, and so on. If anyone has any suggestions as well, that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

I hope GTA V has some kind of bigfoot in it, even if it only appears somewhere in the backwoods for like 2 in-game hours per in-game year.

Well, Bigfoot's in the logo of the police department.

imranh
Sep 2, 2012
MultIV recently posted some information, well on the 25th. here's a list of features (well ones they hope to have):

http://www.multiv-mod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=21#p21 posted:

• A connected world with up to 128 Players, 10,000 vehicles and 65535 overall entities (objects, vehicles, players)
  • On-Foot synchronization (including shimmying, climbing, cover, etc)
  • Vehicle synchronization (including helicopters, boats etc)
  • Weapon & Shooting synchronization
  • Parachute synchronization
  • Animation synchronization
  • Object synchronization
  • Weather & Time synchronization
  • Clientside scripting & GUI
  • Support for TLAD & BOGT
  • MultIV Account System
  • MultIV Anti-Cheat System
  • MySQL support (via plugin module)
  • Lots of scripting functions & events

It seems alright, they use LUA so you never know we might start seeing they types of online servers that we saw in GTA:SA but in IV, that'd be cool.

There already is this but it's currently going under some major redevelopment and uses Squirrel scripting language. Their GitHub is giving me a 404, so I might jump onto their IRC later, unless that gives me a 404 as well, and see what state their mod is in at the moment.

Something I think both these mods need, to take off properly, is a server masterlist though.

In a perfect world Rockstar would release mod tools with the PC version of GTA:V but I suppose we can all dream.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
What are you guys' favorite San Andreas mods? I haven't played in a looooong time and just reinstalled.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

imranh posted:

MultIV recently posted some information, well on the 25th. here's a list of features (well ones they hope to have):

It seems alright, they use LUA so you never know we might start seeing they types of online servers that we saw in GTA:SA but in IV, that'd be cool.

There already is this but it's currently going under some major redevelopment and uses Squirrel scripting language. Their GitHub is giving me a 404, so I might jump onto their IRC later, unless that gives me a 404 as well, and see what state their mod is in at the moment.

Something I think both these mods need, to take off properly, is a server masterlist though.

In a perfect world Rockstar would release mod tools with the PC version of GTA:V but I suppose we can all dream.

I didn't even know this was going on. But since it'll still have GTA IV's movement and handling I just won't really want to even play it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Was there any mods to make GTA IV's handling more arcade/San Andreas like? I've been playing through the Lost and the Damned and good god are the motorcycles terrible handling.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Picking it up in a few hours for PS3, huzzah! Already went and got my ticket and got some swag.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

My PS3 is apparently nearly hosed, so I will have to wait until Monday at the earliest to play GTA V at home. In the meantime I've gotten GTA:SA off steam and I downloaded a texture pack, HRT_Pat enhanced edition 1.3. It's not working, does anyone know if there is some basic thing I need to do in steam to get it working? It's saying it's not an allowed executable version.

EDIT: Duh, run it from the shortcut it makes. Still didn't work, all sorts of screen tearing going on.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 29, 2013

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just beat GTA IV for the first time, first GTA game i've ever beaten. Now doing the Episodes. Man these games are good!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chaosapiant posted:

Just beat GTA IV for the first time, first GTA game i've ever beaten. Now doing the Episodes. Man these games are good!
Just wait until you play GTAV :allears:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

chaosapiant posted:

GTAIV is good, the episodes are great, V is amazing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

GTAIV is good, the episodes are great, V is amazing.

Speaking of GTA IV, I'm going to be starting it soon (first GTA game I've never played), on PC. Any must-have mods? I didn't use anything on III-VC-SA, but I remember hearing that the PC port wasn't too good, but they fixed it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of GTA IV, I'm going to be starting it soon (first GTA game I've never played), on PC. Any must-have mods? I didn't use anything on III-VC-SA, but I remember hearing that the PC port wasn't too good, but they fixed it.

The PC port was "fixed" by people upgrading to newer hardware. You really needed to have at least a good system from 2009 to play it (the year it was released) and most people who had problems with it at start were using systems a few years older than that, particular in the CPU.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah I put together my i5-750 system back then and picked up GTA IV soon after and it ran well - although I didn't bump all the sliders up. That was a quad core though, but I think even people with dual cores had a bit of trouble with it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Install Windows posted:

The PC port was "fixed" by people upgrading to newer hardware. You really needed to have at least a good system from 2009 to play it (the year it was released) and most people who had problems with it at start were using systems a few years older than that, particular in the CPU.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah I put together my i5-750 system back then and picked up GTA IV soon after and it ran well - although I didn't bump all the sliders up. That was a quad core though, but I think even people with dual cores had a bit of trouble with it.

I've got a pretty good machine, so that's cool. Thanks for the answers.
Time to go bowling I guess? :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You need to have a quad core system to play GTAIV. It will not run well on two cores.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
It doesn't run very well on my quad core 9550x or something, 2.83ghz. My roommates 3ghz quad core, first gen i7, isn't much better. I have 4gigs of 1066 ram, he has 12 gigs of 1066. I'm running 1790megs of vRAM and my roomie has 1gig. The game is just poorly optimized in my opinion. It looks better than the consoles but it can get awfully bad when it is real hectic. In all fairness I could turn my resolution down but eh.

I enjoyed the PC version for modding and using cheats, not to actually play the game.

I imagine, or rather hope that GTA5 is optimized a lot better. I mean if it can run half as good as Max Payne 3 runs on my system, then I will be happy.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Serperoth posted:

I had to reread that multiple times. That's some odd phrasing...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

101 posted:

I had to reread that multiple times. That's some odd phrasing...

Yeah apologies for that.
I had played III-VC-SA before actually finishing them, but I have no experience with IV (aside from like 30 seconds, on a PS3, two-three years ago).

I need to get used to controls, it feels subtly different to the 3D era.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scyron posted:

It doesn't run very well on my quad core 9550x or something, 2.83ghz. My roommates 3ghz quad core, first gen i7, isn't much better. I have 4gigs of 1066 ram, he has 12 gigs of 1066. I'm running 1790megs of vRAM and my roomie has 1gig. The game is just poorly optimized in my opinion. It looks better than the consoles but it can get awfully bad when it is real hectic. In all fairness I could turn my resolution down but eh.

Your roommate's first gen i7 is from mid-2008. Your 9550 is also from 2008, but is from the first half of the year.

That is why the game runs slowly, you're both running CPUs too old for it, while stuff from 2009 and later will run fine.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
So is that some l2 cache or some small detail that was not standardized until 2009?

It just seems so odd you would need a specific year's processor or later for that one game, when more recent and far more taxing games like far cry 3/bd, max payne3, skyrim, metro 2034 all work flawlessly.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 3, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Scyron posted:

So is that some l2 cache or some small detail that was not standardized until 2009?

It just seems so odd you would need a specific year's processor or later for that one game, when more recent and far more taxing games like far cry 3/bd, max payne3, skyrim, metro 2034 all work flawlessly.

Some games are more demanding than others. Also, newer processors tend to be more powerful than older processors. I hope this clears up some confusion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scyron posted:

GTA IV has all sorts of physics sim stuff and the like and since it was built with that for multicore game consoles, it couldn't effectively be scaled down. So Rockstar decided to leave it all in and just wait for modern quad core and up systems to be made rather than delay the PC port further by refactoring in new ways to do those things. The first gen i7 and last gen Core 2 Quad you and your roomate have were basically just at the cusp of the needed performance, with the same price-point successors that came out after being way more suited.

The incidental thing is that GTA IV is much less sensitive for the GPU's performance than CPU. GTA IV was basically the first PC game in a long time that was way more reliant on CPU power than GPU power.

GTA V is going to be just the same. But quad cores and up have long been standard in the PC world now, so most gamers this time around won't have problems at launch. Those like you and your friend who still have 5 year old CPUs will, but the majority of people have gotten a new motherboard and CPU since then in all likelihood.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just hope SLI is catered for this time. I know something small like 1% of PC users bother with SLI, but it would be nice to have some love.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Well that sucks. I guess might just double dip for PS4 version later on then.

As is my PC is drat near maxed due to my cruddy Mobo only supporting 8gigs in total. I guess whenever I get a new PC in the future, GTA4 will probably be one of the games I want to replay first.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Isn't GTA IV 32 bit, and so can only handle 3.3 gig of ram?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I am seriously debating if I should just buy the PS3 version now or wait for the inevitable PC port since I have a pretty beefy computer, but I could play the PS3 version in the living room on the big screen HDTV. I wasn't too interested in the game since GTAIV was a bit of a disappointment but after hearing the praise the game is getting and all the cool stuff that they added I seriously want this game now. I guess there's nothing wrong with double dipping. :shepspends:

Do you have to take your friends out bowling in this game? Having to do that in GTAIV was annoying as poo poo. The cars that drove with banana peels for tires didn't help either.

Vice City will always be my favorite in the series just because it takes place in the 80s, aka the Best Decade ever.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ I'm pretty constantly aware of the flaws in these last-gen console versions but it's crazy fun and I could never wait for a PC release, so I'd say just get it and play it. This time around I think the online component will have enough longevity you may still find it worth picking up a pc copy down the line if you get really into it. Another benefit ofr tv play is if you have surround sound. I'm a big fan of surround sound on PC and PS3, but if you don't have 5.1 on your PC that's another checkbox for PS3 (assuming you have it there) And no you don't have to do any boring stuff with friends. About the most boring thing you'll find is tailing people in city traffic but you've had to do that in almost every gta. The car handling isn't perfect but it is a lot better than 4's so you should probably be pretty happy with it.

Yeah 8 gigs of ram isn't gonna be some huge bottleneck on your system for playing GTA5. I rebought gta4 on pc at launch when I had the i7 920 and it ran fine at 1680x1050 with the video card I had at the time. When I later got a better video card and they got some patches out for it, it ran even better. I'm not saying it looked like Battlefield 3 and ran at a locked 60fps or something, but it was so far above the console versions I was extremely happy with it.

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 3, 2013

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Ak Gara posted:

Isn't GTA IV 32 bit, and so can only handle 3.3 gig of ram?

Even less, it's an application limit of approximately 2GB.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Took the plunge and brought the PS3 version. Holy poo poo this game is amazing. I see that Rockstar learned from their mistakes in GTA4. The missions are way much more fun this time around. Both Franklin's and Michael's missions have been pretty crazy so far, can't wait to see how Trevor's plays out because holy poo poo this game is insane.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Starhawk64 posted:

Took the plunge and brought the PS3 version. Holy poo poo this game is amazing. I see that Rockstar learned from their mistakes in GTA4. The missions are way much more fun this time around. Both Franklin's and Michael's missions have been pretty crazy so far, can't wait to see how Trevor's plays out because holy poo poo this game is insane.
Trevor's are more insane than both Michael's and Franklin's ;) Just wait!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

E: sorry, this was supposed to go in the GTAV thread

titties fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 7, 2013

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So i'm slowly working my way through San Andreas for the first time, but am about to give up completely in frustration. I really want to like this game, but having to repeat each mission over and over and over again is driving me up the wall. I was able to get through 4 because the controls are much smoother on a controller, but gently caress chasing a dude on a motorcycle who can turn on a dime while my WASD controls knock me off the bike at the slightest bump. Anywho, just venting. I'm just trying to get in as much PC GTA as possible before V hits and I lose years to it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You don't actually have to kill that guy while he's on the bike, as a matter of fact it is literally impossible to do so. Just go along calmly behind him and then kill him and his friends when he stops. Additionally, increasing the bike skill will eventually make it so that CJ sticks on his bike through thick and thin to the point that aside from GTA SA with full bike skill I flat out just don't find GTA bikes fun.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Also use an xbox or PS3 controller, I can't imagine driving on a keyboard is fun or easy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, use a 360 controller and download the program San Andreas Advanced Control. It lets you map the controls any way you want to. I clocked a couple hundred hours of San Andreas on PC and that's the only way I ever played it. I tried the mouse/keyboard controls at first and didn't feel them at all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Driving on keyboard is the way to go in every GTA, it's significantly superior.

Any time you're having trouble on a driving mission in GTA it's almost always because you're going too fast. There are always missions where the game won't allow you to catch a car you're chasing and they will just go along their path at ridiculous speeds if you try to stay right behind them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I finished all the 3D era GTA games on a keybord, and had no problems. Hell, my biggest frustrations were losing my GTA 3 save, and doing gang territory missions in the endgame of San Andreas, neither of which were related to the controls.

Full disclosure, I did do a bit of remapping in the options. Nothing serious, but you might wanna check it out if the control scheme itself is giving you issues.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The really frustrating mission in San Andreas was that one where you and the fat homie chase after the train with all the :ese:s on top. If you get too close to the train, the homie can't hit them, if you get too far from it you risk falling off the track or getting blindsided by an oncoming train.

There's also that optional mission thread that David Cross puts you through in San Fierro but you can generally bypass that (and apparently they weren't as brutal on the PC port).

I think people had trouble with the flying school missions because they were quite frustrating but they turned out to be pretty useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Deadly Hume posted:

The really frustrating mission in San Andreas was that one where you and the fat homie chase after the train with all the :ese:s on top. If you get too close to the train, the homie can't hit them, if you get too far from it you risk falling off the track or getting blindsided by an oncoming train.
ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN, CJ :byodood:

If we're talking about lovely GTA missions, the early storyline mission in Vice City Stories where you're saving Phil's moonshine from a burning warehouse takes the cake for me.

Gimmick vehicle (forklift) with lovely controls? Check!
Bullshit obstacles you get stuck on? Check!
Fixed camera angle that makes the controls and avoiding obstacles even more annoying? Check!
Overly strict time limit that doesn't let you get used to the controls and camera? Check!

I failed that poo poo so many times. gently caress your stupid moonshine, Phil.

• Locked thread