Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ Hell yeah Axl Rose on KDST, and Will Forte on that conservative talk radio channel cracks me up.

GigaPeon posted:

Make John Marsden the PC in GTA5. Use the same model, voice, and personality but give him new clothes (keep the hat).

He was the perfect blend of self referential humor, relucant heroism and badassery.
Well that would be kind of silly for it to BE John Martson, but I would absolutely support the main character being some great grandson of John as a nod to RDR.

Ever since GTA3 came out on PS2 before PC (I was so pissed about that at the time) I've always had to buy them on consoles then rebuy them for PC. It sucks that the PC versions feel like console games that are ported but they definitely are a big upgrade over consoles if you have even semi-decent hardware. Anyone considering picking up gta4 or the expansions for pc, we should organize a time to goof off online. There used to be this one guy, m0dulator I think, and whenever I'd find him in free roam he'd be building awesome ramps at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

People are talking about locations, but personally I think GTA needs a different time period. Not the present, not the past, but the future. The distant future.
Fair enough, but even in the future it'll still technically have to be at a location. Were you thinking like whatever the largest most crime-ridden city on Mars is?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

Alright.

Year: 2111.

Setting: Washington DC.

Tell us the future of America, Rockstar.

Well I live outside DC so I'd love to see a modern day Rockstar take on the city, but in 2111 I assume it'll just look like the last scene of the Planet of the Apes remake with the Ape-raham Lincoln statue.

If they don't choose D.C. I might have to break out Midtown Madness 3 again.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jerkstore77 posted:

Wherever they decide to do GTA 5, my wish for the series has always been for them to recreate the actual streets of the various cities. Like you could take a map of the game and overlay it onto google maps and it'd be exactly the same. Imagine the game being played on the actual Vegas strip. I dont know if current technology can support this though.
I do like Rockstar doing their own cities that are just inspired by real cities and have some of the same streets and landmarks but they can design the city itself based around gameplay. I'd rather keep the GTA series like that, but on the other hand I loved having more accurate streets in the first Driver game, and didn't care at all that I couldn't get out of the car back then. I thought Driver 3 was going to be the best of both worlds but all the reviews were kind of bad so I never checked it out.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

GTA games need an editor.
They have one, you can skip the cut scenes if you hate stories. Even though somewhere inside all that dialogue they explain what it is you'll be doing on the mission, if you skip it entirely they'll still hold your hand through each step of what has to be done which makes the cut scenes entirely optional.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Polo-Rican posted:

He means a "level editor," you grade-A doof ball! And yeah, a level editor would own harder than anything else on earth...

Oh did he? I didn't realize the last sentence wasn't related to everything else about cut scenes being too long, but if he did then yeah I agree. That's why I love finding people who go around building huge structures to do stunts on at the airport. It increases the longevity of these games tenfold. Not even map editing but just the scripting for San Andreas is what lead to me sinking 1,000+ hours into the goon-run free roam and mmo servers. I just don't see lifespans like that on most PC titles nowadays, and never from unmodifiable console games.

Himuro posted:

The hand holding is atrocious though, and the dialogue is not skippable.
Oh I gotcha, you mean when they're just talking while you're already driving or riding somewhere, not the cut scenes. Yeah I guess if you'd rather just hear the radio that'd get bothersome. I had less problem with the talking and more just the cel phone popping up while I'm trying to make a turn or something.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I think SA is a textbook case of "more equals better." They gave us LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas, deserts, mountains, rivers, bicycles, stunt bi-planes, huge passenger jets, fighter jets, jet packs, and you can go up to any cop in the city and beat his rear end to death with a double-sided dildo. Whatever you wish GTA was sucks in comparison :P

Edit: alright, I'm gonna be in PC gay tony freeroam all night on live as davebo357 if anyone is around.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

excaza posted:

Why do you think that?

Because so many people complained about the car physics in GTA4 that it became the default response for people to act dismissive and imply that everyone who dared to disagree with Rockstar's decision simply doesn't know how to play video games, rather than just accept that a lot of people prefer a more arcadey feel in a game as over the top as the GTA series.

Don't worry, plenty of people understand exactly what you mean by cruise ship handling. I'll never say the lovely car controls made the game unfun... just less fun. And at least they made some improvements to the bikes in the episodes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

the tub boat controls are awful.
Did someone say tug boats?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

TRANT RESNER MAN posted:

Does anyone play PC GTA IV multiplayer anymore? I got in the mood for some Free mode mayhem but there wasn't a soul online. I don't have any of the dlc dunno if that makes a difference.

It does make a difference because the popularity has died down and those who do play just play gay tony's multiplayer because it has the new bikes and parachutes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KFCB posted:

I don't see why not. Just call it 'State of Emergency' :v:

I just wanted to say god drat your avatar. I had just gotten that out of my head.

And in regards to open world games, would anyone here recommend Mafia 2 if I had a free download code that came with a graphics card from last year? If so, how does it compare to GTA? Mostly story based I assume, is the actual gameplay (combat/driving) much fun?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ Why do I feel like it'd be hard to get away with crime in a place like that? (the sci fi one)

bort posted:

Worst...race missions...ever.

But that's the thing, they aren't making accurate maps of real cities. They'd just make a city similar to D.C. but change the layout so the missions would be more fun. I would like them to do this, then I'd like them to redo all the roads in D.C. to make it more like the game.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lee Van Queef posted:

It's a dystopian future, which basically means Detroit today plus crazy guns.

Dystopian? That space colony looks pretty... topian, to me. I'd love to live there I just imagine all the cars already have lojack and it'd be hard to rob a bank when the currency are all intangible cyber space-credits.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

I've been watching Ugly Betty and the setting of the show is NYC and you wouldn't believe this by watching the show.
I've never seen the show but I'd think it'd be real easy to make it look like new york since every outside shot seems to be on a green screen set anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNfT4p4wYQ

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

Patches don't help poor drivers.

I can't believe this keeps coming up but I'll say it again. Not liking the direction Rockstar went with vehicle physics doesn't mean we can't adapt and win every race, it just means we don't LIKE it as much as arcade style driving. GTA4 isn't any more realistic than San Andreas, it's just way different. It's not gran turismo and it's not iRacing. You can't hit a curb on a motorcycle in real life doing 30mph and end up on the roof of a 3 story building.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

screaden posted:

You can chain link them up too, there is a tip/construction site near the huge mountain which has an infintely respawning towtruck. Just hook one up to the other, park it, run back and get another one, link it up, I used to spend HOURS doing this, I think I had 12 of them all attached together like one long tow-truck-train before it would start despawning them. Then I'd drive it up to the top of the mountain and launch it off the edge. Cue a giant field of explosions all over the country town below
That capability was given to just about every vehicle in the game on the goon theft auto server. It was glorious.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I love the Coquette, just because I'm a Corvette fan, and I always look for a silver one if I can get it. Infernuses are always nice too. Inferni?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Maybe it's because I had already seen the Ricky Gervais bits from stand-up performances, but when I first saw him in the game I was disappointed by how emotionless it sounded. It really felt like he was "performing" in a sound booth in front of no one.

I really love Gervais and I'm pretty neutral about Katt Williams, but I thought Katt's ingame bits came off a lot better for some reason.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cephalectomy posted:

KB/M are vastly superior for being on foot but having a ps2 controller or other gamepad just for the driving/flying parts makes them a lot more manageable if you cant stand the default vehicle controls.
It doesn't take longer than the time to open a car door and get inside to move your hands from kb/m to the ps2 controller, and that's how I played gta3-vc-sa on PC. I really wish I could have done gta4 that way too. Someone once said even with the xbox360 controller the acceleration didn't feel totally analog, but rather more like 0%-50%-100%, which is better than just all or nothing but still.

Also, I just upgraded from an older 8800gt to a gtx 560 and intend to play a lot more gta4 now that I can max out settings.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

fennesz posted:

I played GTAIII and VC like crazy with a keyboard and really enjoyed flying in both. You just have to get used to feathering keys instead of using pressure sensitive triggers/buttons.

What can you fly in GTA3? I don't remember there being any planes or choppers aside from the police ones you couldn't access. Then didn't VC introduce helis but no planes? It's been so long but the only thing I remember getting airborne in VC are helis and big semi trucks we modded the handling files for and would play online stunt servers to see how far away from the airport we could land our trucks.

Edit: oh god now I remember that horrible little plane! I could never understand why they made it so hard to stay airborne.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 30, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Someone mapped out the streets of Liberty City in Google StreetView. Pretty fun to play around in.

http://www.gta4.net/map/

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Doc Hawkins posted:

What, no street names? :v:

Not on the overhead layout, but if you go into streetview mode, yeah it tells me I'm currently at the intersection of Denver-Exeter Ave and Manganese St.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

bort posted:

I love that a guy who's spent countless hours perfecting PvP devastation spends his time in a tireless car doing donuts.
I'm certainly no threat in a helicopter but just about every time I play GTA4 (BoGT since it has parachutes) it's freemode and always ends up at the airport stunting. One of the most fun things is to get a fast car and shoot all 4 tires out and just go nuts trying to keep it under control.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My i7 920, 6gb, 8800gt 512mb system ran it just fine when it came out at medium textures at 1680x1050. I recently got a gtx 560, bumped it to 1920x1200 and high textures, raised some other sliders and it still runs great. I don't think I need to be getting over 40fps since my eyes can't see it. Frankly I prefer when games push the envelope so that I can't jack everything up the day it comes out. Then I have a reason to revisit them 2 years later when I get a better system. That being said, it was designed for consoles and poorly ported.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

blackmanjew posted:

I know 30fps should be fine, but I am an enormous baby who's brain freaks out when the FPS drops below 60fps :( I know that your eyes supposedly cannot see anything over 35-40fps, but I guess for some reason anything under 60fps to me doesn't come off as "smooth", but maybe I need to sell my machine and go the gently caress outside.

Man I get like 150fps when I go outside, and everything is always in full HD! The physics are so accurate too. I just hate the parts when I have to go to work. What is this, The Sims?!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cray posted:

I think Carmack mentioned in an interview recently that they have been testing this during the development of Rage. Apparently most people notice the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but almost no one can tell 60 from 120.

I wonder if you get diminishing returns. Like obviously there's a huge difference between 15 and 30, but I imagine it's not as great as 30 to 45 or 45 to 60? When you're talking about the limits of your video card though, I'd most certainly prioritize draw distance or traffic density over a few more fps. Nothing ruins MY IMMERSION like pop-in.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

It's reasons like this that I wish I had a PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNDGLNqe3U

It's San Andreas recreated in GTA IV...and it looks really good.

If this came out, and then someone were somehow able to port the goon SZR server script over to this... I don't think I'd need to buy any other game for a decade. I mean, the OJ minigame with these physics! Rooftop races. Oh I want it so much.

One question I'd have though is will people be required to have ballad of gay tony for the parachutes or can they port parachutes back into GTAIV vanilla?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Angry Boat posted:

ok so Racistman3D hasn't made a new video in a while and YCS is dead so let's make some more. I'll get the ball rolling(?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3r0ONyScK4

Well this is awesome good times.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

New GTASA with IV graphics vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVIlAsTjr1E&feature=player_embedded

Still looks amazing, but this video makes me realize how much you need pedestrians and traffic to make these environments feel like real places. I'd get bored pretty quickly just roaming around by myself with no one to blow up or run over. But gosh if they could port the goon san andreas server over to that I'd play another two years.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

I get why people find realistic cars, cover shooting, and man-dates boring and unfitting of the game. I still don't think those things are actually bad.

What version are you playing that contains realistic cars?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I don't want them to add too much of an RPG feel to GTA, but I wouldn't mind if they stuck in some useless expensive post-endgame goals to shoot for. There's lots of fun to be had after the story missions just screwing around, but sometimes it's nice to have something to show for it too. Like more apartments to buy or a huge garage you can fill up and visit anytime. As it is I just make sure all the top supercars get parked at the existing apartments, but that's not a whole lot.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zedd posted:

That house that the last Mafia boss owned had a garage with opening doors; I so wanted Niko to get that at the end. :(

Yeah you only get one safe house in the entire third island. It'd be great if there was a place in the north, especially that mansion with the heli-pad. At least there's the motorcycle shop you can always count on for a quick ride.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Chaltab posted:

You know, I probably would like 3 and Vice City a hell of a lot more with PC aiming controls.

I've always said, the best way to play is on a pc with a keyboard/mouse for walking around, and a controller resting right in front of the keyboard to pick up when you get in a car. You can easily switch between the two in the time it takes for the "get inside the car" animation.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

I dunno guys. I did the ambulance mission in III with kbm. It's one of the hardest missions in the trilogy and I aced it. kbm has a learning curve, but you eventually learn that you have more control of your car than you do with a pad.

You could get away with that for the 3 series. I think it's more fun with analog steering because it was designed with PS2 controls in mind. The problem with gta4 on the pc is it was designed with analog steering and brake/acceleration in mind. Anytime you hit forward on the keyboard it's like you're just flooring the gas pedal every time. At the time gta4 came out for pc I didn't have my ps3 controller hooked to my pc, and the game refused to let me use my ps2->usb one, so I just had to play that way. Thanks Games for Windows Live, but I'm not interested in buying a controller for a console I don't want.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cliff Racer posted:

Probably not, or, if so, only specialty keyboards. 95%+ of computers are not brought to play video games on.

Wouldn't that be cool though, if instead of holding the Shift key for capital letters you just slam the key down harder? Get rid of caps lock completely so if someone wants to yell on the internet they really need to be molesting their keyboard to do it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Songbearer posted:

I'm sure that GTA5 is going to be something very special indeed.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I have faith they can make GTA 5 something amazing.

Cage posted:

Its even weirder how some of you don't think that GTA5 will be improved upon.

Huh? Who said GTA 5 wasn't going to be better than 4? I definitely don't prefer the new driving physics but it's worth it to watch people ragdoll when they die and go flying from explosions. I also don't prefer the more serious direction it's taken because it doesn't "feel" as much like GTA, but on the other hand I love how serious RDR is, and would encourage them to continue with that franchise. I feel like Saints Row 3 will be enough goofy fun, and GTA 5 will be more like a modern, more juvenile RDR. That being said, I'll be buying and playing the hell out of all of them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

mrpwase posted:

Jesus christ I don't get people slagging off the shooting controls and cover system, unless you're all playing on consoles. The one problem I had was occasionally snapping to the wrong wall - apart from that it moved fairly fluidly and the 'LMB = blindfire, RMB = stand up and shoot' controls were no problem. Is it that much different on a PC?

Of course it is. You can't compare getting in a firefight with a mouse+keyboard to having to gun down waves of cops after you with a joypad. Ever since GTA3 (when I was forced to) I buy gta games for playstation first, then get them on pc the moment they're ported. The driving may not be quite as fun with a keyboard, as I think we went over recently, but the combat doesn't even compare. The games are always way easier on pc and look way better. I don't think I even used the cover system on the pc. It's just easier to run right out and headshot everyone.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

So I'm playing through the GTA III/VC/SA series for a lark.

Everything's basically working fine, except for one thing. I'm playing on a Dualshock with one of those PS2 > USB adaptors, and for whatever reason, the game has the right analog controls backwards - up/down is left/right, and left/right is up/down.

In the first two this is a minor annoyance, but I can already anticipate wanting to kill myself when trying to play SA with a hosed-up right analog.

Is there anything I can do to reverse the Z and Zr axises? I've seen a registry hack floating around, but that would mess up the joystick controls in the other games I play, so that's not really an option unless it can be distilled into a one-click solution.

Also, is there any way to map the pause-menu to the controller (short of Joytokey)?

Yeah mine always did that, but it was never an issue to me because i switched to mouse+kb when I wasn't driving. Are you saying you're playing on a pc and choosing to use a joypad for combat? or do you need the right stick for flight controls or something I'm not thinking of? Either way, I don't know a workaround, sorry.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
So every PC GTA game on steam for $12. I almost want to rebuy them all just so I never need to put the dvds in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yeah but regardless if it's from two dvd's or from steam, wouldn't keeping original copies of the files that get modded in another folder then just recopying them over be a lot faster than reinstalling the entire thing? Unless you're hard up for hard drive space I guess.

I really really miss the days when pc game makers either embraced or just didn't care that people modded their games. They saw the benefit in letting nerds extend the longevity of their games through modding which if anything would keep people more interested in their franchise until the next proper sequel. If it were easy to mod the hell out of gta4 and still go online without all this restoring files and checking validity nonsense, I probably wouldn't need to buy Saints Row 3.

• Locked thread