Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Gaming's own socially aware and culturally controversial darling deserves its own thread!

Since this thread will undoubtedly result in talk of violence and sex in the industry, I point you guys to here if you want to discuss such topics so the thread doesn't go too off track.

Grand Theft Auto? Never heard of it!

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably played a GTA game. Grand Theft Auto is a gaming series developed by Rockstar Games. The original intent of the games is to jack cars, take them out for a spin, run people over with them, and find new and creative ways to kill people. With game design aims like these, this makes the games typically arcade-y in nature with the exception of IV, which is often seen as the black sheep of the series.

The games have since evolved past that, but the core formula, that being a jack of all trades who steals vehicles, murders, and buys weapons to kill even more people has stayed intact. Gang warfare is another big proponent of the formula, with most games in the series having gang wars between rival factions. In GTA2 for instance, the main storytelling device are the various gangs you can join, betray, and even go to war with resulting in different mission offerings for each gang and who wants to feed you to the fishes.

The games have since evolved to include story lines, multiple characters, dozens of minigames, ridiculous amounts of licensed music and fake talk radio, and more social commentary that most games wouldn't be able to compete with.

Just why are these games so popular then? They seem so juvenile!

If you can name all the games out there that let me blow up cities and the feds with tanks while jamming to Michael Jackson, please name them.

The past and present

The original games were like this:

GTA1, 2, London, and Chinatown Wars have this perspective. Combat and driving tend to be more simplistic, but this only allows the more arcade nature be embraced in full.

Most modern games are like this:

GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, their various spinoffs, IV and its expansions are all third person, feature immense story lines, tons of odd jobs and side jobs, and tend to be more content heavy than their 2d counterparts.

Not pictured: overwrought dialogue and characters who yammer about nothing for five minutes and floaty physics and controls that make playing any other game flat out weird.

The Future

GTAV was unveiled November 2, 2011!

The trailer can be found here.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The character descriptions sound like GTA3 trilogy-esque.

I'm expecting it to be the total opposite of IV.

I hope the result is better than what Gay Tony did, though. Gay Tony was weird for me. It tried to be funny and cartoony, but it never really clicked. It felt like a bunch of random dudes doing stupid poo poo, while containing the "realism" of IV.

Luis co-owns the biggest nightclub in Liberty City. Unlike other GTA main characters he's not poor, he's not in desperate need for cash, he starts off with a high end apartment in GTAIV's Manhattan equivalent and yet he's pushing drugs for people, stealing diamonds for his gay boss and jacking army helicopters for his rich middle eastern friends. It just made no sense.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Gosh I love Chinatown Wars so loving much.

Drug Wars should be an odd job in every future GTA.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 5, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Speak of the devil.

http://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/55037606467088384

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Holy Cheese posted:

I wouldn't even know how to.

GTA V YAY!

By playing GTA you can channel your inner satanist.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I know Rockstar tends to frown on re-releases and remakes but I'm hoping they put out a GTA3 10th anniversary release on psn and xbl. You can't play GTA3, VC or SA on your ps3 these days unless you have a 20 or 60 gig. It'd be easy money.

Not asking for a huge graphical face lift, but an visual upgrade and modern Saints Row like aiming system would go really far I think.

It's pretty much the game that put them on the map, so I can't see them ignoring GTA3 this year.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Hoodrich posted:

Nominating for subtitle.

Haha, that's a good one.

Grand Theft Auto Megathread: Where Can I Get Gay Tony For Cheap?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
TLAD is the best GTAIV.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Convex posted:

Something like... this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H15lnSD2f5w

This is so glorious.

Tumble posted:

My major issue with the GTA series is how the player characters make themselves out to be these moral people while the person controlling the game is always going to make those characters commit the most heinous acts of violence imaginable.

Remember how in GTA:SA cutscenes CJ would rant about drug dealers destroying the neighborhood and ruining the place he grew up, but if during gameplay you were running around without a car or a bike, you'd think nothing of killing somebody for their ride? Even though the character you were playing as would say stuff like "I need this poo poo you drive", I don't think anybody could really ignore the incongruence between the thoughts and actions the cutscene character portrayed and the behavior that the character the player controlled during gameplay displayed.

Basically, if the game that I'm going to be playing involves me stealing cars and killing a vast amount of people, please don't make my character conflicted when it comes to selling drugs, killing people for money or stealing cars. The person playing the game has already resigned to a completely immoral lifestyle in-game, don't try and make me believe that Niko or CJ are willing to kill 30 or 40 cops but then feel bad about getting revenge for a family member.

Vice City had it right; give me a person bent on becoming the ultimate crime boss, gently caress this morality crap. By the end of the game, I want to control criminal empires and crush those that even dare question my methods, not go back to the lovely neighborhood I grew up in.

Agreed. I'd even be happy if they made the character mute again. I don't mind being a dude who betrays his bosses for a paycheck and essentially decimates every single gang in the city even if he doesn't talk. For this reason Claude actually remains my favorite GTA main next to Tommy. He has no emotional baggage and zero moral compass, and in truth, while being a bad guy, he's nothing paled to the monsters he works for. Monsters who, I think, give a great glimpse into GTA3's Liberty City and its socio-American values.

If you can't tell already, GTA3 is my favorite in the series. Though I think Vice City is the overall best.

But looking at the supposedly leaked character profiles for gta5, we're going to be playing as cops this time. I truly think that would put a great spin on the formula.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 6, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Post != edit

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

KFCB posted:

Crysis wasn't that well optimized either but the difference of a GPU reliant game is there are a bevy of options to customize to make it all work. If your CPU isn't up to snuff, there isn't as much that can be done to compensate. And don't get me wrong, I am not trying make bones over this. J

:stare:

I am now holding you personally responsible should this turn out to be untrue because it sounds fantastic. I would also love it if over the course of your career, you crossed paths with the past "heroes" of Grand Theft Auto.

Well don't take my word for it.

But the leaked character profiles, if they are related to GTA5, mostly feature cops as characters on the list. That many cops suggest that you play as a cop.

If the leak is true, which I somehow doubt, it would definitely rock. Just temper your expectations.

Though every source cited suggests that the leaked character profiles are indeed from GTA5.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, they brought back the peds rioting in San Andreas in the most literal sense, by actually having that be part of the story. I knew it was coming since it was the LA area in the early 90's, but it was still amazing when it happened. The best part is that you can make the riots start up again any time with a cheat code, and it's not just angry pedestrians. You have random cars burning in the street, houses on fire, guys just walking around with TV sets... all this plus you can turn on a cheat to instantly give yourself a gimp suit and a big rubber dildo. Not to mention the "recruit anybody" cheat, so you can amass a small hobo/prostitute army.

gently caress yes, having peds riot in the middle of the story was glorious.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tewratomeh posted:

On an unrelated note, why do people trash GTA IV so much and not GTA III? GTA III has even less to do between missions and yet nobody complains. Is it just the fact that GTA III was the first of its kind? Is it really the fact that Claude is a "silent protagonist" and they feel like they're more free to be a bastard?

Er...

GTA3 has assassin missions, telephone missions (El Burro for instance), cab missions, fire truck missions, vigilante missions, hidden stuff like bulletproof vehicles, the dodo, hidden packages, paramedic missions, and the best drat cheat codes in the series. GTA3 has a lot of content. What are you talking about?

In comparison, GTA4 has what? Friends? Uh...bowling, uh...tv? Stranger missions which rarely pop up?

K8.0 posted:

Niko's motivations don't line up with what he does IN missions or even cutscenes. That's why he's a completely poo poo character.

CJ is a stupid, greedy, easily manipulated, all around bad person and career criminal who's only loyalties are to his friends and family. That makes his character work.

Tommy Vercetti is a complete psychopath and actively enjoys torturing and murdering people. That's why he's the best player character in GTA. Everything he does makes complete sense because he doesn't give the slightest poo poo about other people.

I remember when you first kill your boss, Diaz, and Tommy pretty much decides in an instant to drive to the mall, break all the store windows to not only tell who's in power in town, and to pay him for protection, and return back to the mansion in five minutes time.

Tommy Vercetti, people.

I also love how Tommy comments on the people he works for after missions because he's not a schmuck.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 6, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tewratomeh posted:

So it's just nostalgia then? I just don't see the issue with toning down the bullshit they kept adding with each new installment. It was fun bullshit, but where do you go after San Andreas? They kept one-upping themselves until they kind of got backed into a corner, and GTA IV reset everything back to GTA III. I'd imagine that GTA V is going to be the next-generation San Andreas, and I can't wait.

GTAIV has less content than GTAIII.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Here's the thing. In past GTA games you're rewarded for exploring and doing side content.

Do all the ambulance missions? You unlock the ability to run without losing stamina.

Do all the fire truck missions? You become fireproof.

Do all vigilante missions? You get bribe stars sent to your hideout making for easy getaways.

Complete all the taxi missions? You win an unlockable car!

The sandbox genre works not because you have a playground but because you're rewarded for seeking out new stuff and getting new toys throughout the story. You don't get any of this in IV.

In III, every 10 or so hidden packages found gives you something neat. Maybe you get a neat new weapon right outside your hideout for FREE.

In IV, you get nothing for finding pigeons.

In III, you have goals: master the dodo, can I get into that arena? bulletproofing your favorite cars? Done and done.

In IV, there's friends, and a few vigilante missions, and I even recall a few stranger and assassination missions, but aside from that, not much.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, you don't necessarily have to lose your weapons after dying. Getting your weapons back from the cops after being busted for a fee would be great too.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Raising your bike skill to the point where you can jump over cars and poo poo was hilarious.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

SplitSoul posted:

Actually, no, it's that video where the guys jumps the quad bike off the mountain only to, immediately and without warning, be crashed into by a passing crop duster. Unfortunately I can't find it.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1Nm2kAW6c

Also, this is the best GTA video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxB4Hg71_NY

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I didn't miss it, it's just didn't care for any of the characters in that game. They were so over-the-top, annoyingly so and the missions made no cohesive sense. It was as if they were trying to make Gay Tony have the quirkiness and edge of the old ps2 games, but it fell flat on its face. I mean, I liked it a bit, but it didn't really click with me. Still enjoyed it more than GTA4 vanilla.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

AHAHAHAHA These are amazing

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't see why Gay Tony is great while Last and the Damned is lame.

Lost and the Damned was probably the most focused GTA, and arguably one of the better written games in the series. Characters have lows, and very few highs, you actually care about their situation because they're so desperate.

In Gay Tony it felt as if all the characters were caricatures instead of just characters. I know GTA likes to poke fun of modern culture a lot, but they usually make interesting characters who stand on their own. Of course there's a few characters who caricature pop culture or some annoying type of person in real life, but they're scarce. In Gay Tony though, it seems every character involved in the story is some sort of play on some stereotype. It gets ridiculous.

For all the praise Gay Tony has received I don't really understand most of it. I especially don't understand the claim that it's well written, but different strokes I guess.

I didn't like Yusuf either. In fact, I hated that guy. I hated the small man, Brucie's brother too. I can't think of one character in that game aside from Tony who I like. Tony is loving hilarious.

The missions are also really loving annoying. There's at least 4 flying missions (out of 20 or so missions, so basically a quarter of the game) and they're all horrible.

I'm guessing why people enjoyed Gay Tony's writing so much was because it's so similar to San Andreas' style, which I hated. SA is way over the top and campy to the point of mimicry, so I guess that's why people enjoy it so much.

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, so Lost and Damned certainly ended. I was starting to really get into it, too, and I thought it was about halfway done and then the climax kicked off and... that was it. The final confrontation was really unsatisfying, I mean I'm sure it was intentional but after all that bullshit there was no catharsis at all. In fact it felt like the ending of Red Dead Redemption (the actual, pre-credits ending). Not that it was bad, it just came a little too soon I thought.

TLAD's ending was great in that they basically gained nothing. Usually in GTA fashion, the hero gains something, either revenge or riches, sometimes both. In TLAD, nothing is truly gained by "winning". Yes, they kill off their old leader, but at the price of their gang being basically defunct and out of commission. It felt like, for the first time in the series since III, the writers didn't glorify the business or the gang life, but the opposite. It wasn't bittersweet either. I felt the same way about III's ending: nothing is truly gained except Claude's life and a fireworks fiesta.

I also think that TLAD was GTA4 done right. That said I really did abhor the prison mission itself. It just wasn't fun.

I have nothing against a more realistic GTA, and I felt that TLAD did that formula pretty well.

Still, despite liking both Gay Tony and TLAD, I ultimately felt both games were forgettable. I ended up beating them and taking it back to gamestop after beating them because I knew I'd never play them again. I even bought GTA4 along with TLAD and Gay Tony so I could give it another shot, but...when I played it I couldn't stand playing it for more than 5 minutes. The controls are so terrible and aged.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 7, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That train mission in Gay Tony was just awesome.

You know what the best part of all three GTAIV's is? How they managed to connect each of the games. Like the bank robbery where you encounter Niko, Luis AND Johnny and by playing each game you get a view of how they each got to that point and play the story through their eyes.

It would be cool if GTAV has two main characters and they encounter each on a regular basis, making for some cool storytelling.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
V letting you play as two mains, a crooked cop and a gangster, would be so awesome. Playing the game as two different characters with two different storylines and gameplay features, abilities would be awesome.

It's the natural evolution after IV's multi-pov thing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ShineDog posted:

Hang on, GTA4 ends with someone Niko loves dead and his life in tatters. Perhaps he get's his revenge, but if GTA goes out of it's way to show anything it's that every one of Nikos victories is completely hollow. A thug for the rest of his days because it's all he knows (For most people, Kate is the one who died, and she's the only compelling influence on Niko to actually change his life.)

It's a downer ending, through and through.

Good point, I thought that GTAIV's ending was good but I guess by the time I beat it I was just flat out burnt out.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Grand Theft Auto Megathread: Mass Murder and Summoning Helicopter Gunships From Thin Air.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Polo-Rican posted:

Why hasn't anyone begun the GTA5 city guessing game?! I'm hoping for a San Francisco lookalike, but seeing how cyclical the series has been with locations, it'll probably be Vice City.

Signs seem to hint at Los Angeles. Maybe even Miami.

So...Los Santos or Vice City.

I really want them to put a new GTA in a new place and not a revisited place.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, San Andreas definitely wins in the variety camp. San Fierro's hills, Los Santos' orange haze, Las Venturas' neon lights...they all reflected the counterpart real life cities well.

SA was full of small touches. Like the amount of gay couples holding hands in the San Francisco equivalent, or driving a sports car at top speed on the cities hills. loving awesome.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
People are talking about locations, but personally I think GTA needs a different time period. Not the present, not the past, but the future. The distant future.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

davebo posted:

Fair enough, but even in the future it'll still technically have to be at a location. Were you thinking like whatever the largest most crime-ridden city on Mars is?

Alright.

Year: 2111.

Setting: Washington DC.

Tell us the future of America, Rockstar.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Muppetjedi posted:

They should release it for the PS3 HD collection. All 3 Ps2 games (5 if they want to include the converted PSP games.) Minor graphic improvements and trophies. Easy money.

Am I the only one who thought the chat radio stations became kinda crap after Vice city?

You're not alone. SA and IV's talk radio sucked.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dr Snofeld posted:

I barely listened to any other stations than KChat and VCPR

VCPR is loving amazing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Whalley posted:

I just want them to remake GTA2. Lightning guns and soylent hotdogs and the globe-spanning Zaibatsu, as well as the coolest loving mission in any GTA game. Commit crimes to get taken to federal prison island to steal a car to help a high up in the Redneck gang escape by ramping yourself from an island onto the mainland only to have a high speed car chase through a trailer park.

God GTA2 was a good game.

e: I'm pretty sure I've posted this exact post in the leadup threads for both GTA4 and San Andreas :negative:

I feel ya. GTA2 is one of the best in the series, no doubt. I should look into the GTA classics on steam.

I played GTA3 on pc for a bit once and...the shooting controls are great, but the driving feels like such a step back. It's either backwards or forwards here. I'd love to be able to use a controller with the same shooting controls on top of the standard car controls with a controller. Either you play the console versions with bad aiming and good driving, or the pc versions with good aiming and bad driving.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Personally I don't really care in which direction GTA V goes, I enjoy a freeroaming game with lots of side missions and unlockables just as much as I do a tightly written one that focuses on the story missions. What I'm pretty tired of is the recent habit of Rockstar games to walk you through missions by very specific checkpoints. In GTA III your only mission objective sometimes would be "kill this guy" and you could snipe him from the rooftops, ram him off the road or set an ambush at this travel destination, whatever you wanted as long as it resulted in this guy getting killed; recent Rockstar mission design has you basically run through a series of narrowly defined, focused challenges with mostly little variation - drive there, handle this shootout, drive over there - and even if you as a player can think of a more efficient way to fulfill the actual task the game pretty much goes "gently caress you buddy I call the shots here, now park right over there and show me you still know how to sound your horn." And of course it doesn't help that the actions the game makes you go through, the protagonists' actions during cutscenes, the protagonists' supposed motivations, and the stuff you as a player would like to do are often widly inconsistent.

Completely agree, but this type of mission design goes hand in hand with a highly focused tight narrative. The two styles go hand in hand.

Also, I'm sick of the overwrought dialogue. It seems like after every mission brief in GTAIV or Red Dead Redemption, the characters end up yapping for hours and hours about non sensical poo poo that doesn't really matter or even develop them as characters.

Sure, in past GTA's, there would be talk. But it was usually just a line or two to help flesh out the mission and add character, it wasn't minutes at a time of dialogue with you sitting in a car or on a horse doing nothing but simply listening to dialogue.

Playing Chinatown was a breath of fresh air. No overwrought stories, no excessive length, just simplicity at its finest. There's nothing wrong with simplicity, and just because you can afford to pay actors to cite 50,000 lines of dialogue doesn't mean you should.

GTA games need an editor.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 7, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

davebo posted:

They have one, you can skip the cut scenes if you hate stories. Even though somewhere inside all that dialogue they explain what it is you'll be doing on the mission, if you skip it entirely they'll still hold your hand through each step of what has to be done which makes the cut scenes entirely optional.

The hand holding is atrocious though, and the dialogue is not skippable.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What GTAV april fools video?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why is it so hard to separate what the character does and what the player does? Should every open-world sandbox crime game have a deranged psychopath as its protagonist? Or should they make it so the morally conflicted, tired-of-it-all, unsure-about-his-life protagonist is literally unable to kill non-targets?

Actual rewards for players for picking a path and altering the story to support these moral choices would be preferable. For example, in Infamous, you have a dark path and a light path. Make it function like a western rpg, basically.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
GTA in Baltimore, Maryland. Let me have my GTA take on The Wire! Okay, that sounds legitimately awful, nevermind.

That Awful Nick posted:

I would give any ridiculous amount of real money for someone to produce a web series featuring Maurice Chavez and his horrible, horrible radio show. Holy poo poo was that always just the best stuff. Even the commercials were fantastic. Hell, the commercials in all of the GTA games are usually absolutely fantastic.

"Tim, they've got your wife!"

"But I'm not married..."

"You are now... to America!"

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 8, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I wish they'd make fake radio stations again.

"Let's hope those missing witnesses turn up safe and sound!"

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Whalley posted:

Tokyo would work in the same way that London 1969 worked; there's honestly not that many iconic cities in the world that you could parody and still have it be obvious where you're parodying. Like how Vice City was obviously Miami, San Andreas was obviously LA, GTA4 was obviously New York. People who have never been to these places can tell what they're based on from pop culture. Honestly, the only other "iconic" places I can think of that they haven't done are Tokyo and a generic "Europe" which would have a Sicilian/Grecian coastal town, a Venice knockoff, a bunch of weed cafes, an Eiffel Tower parody and a whole lot of assholes who think they're better than you because over half their pay gets taken in taxes.

What about Washington DC?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

LvK posted:

One thing I hated about GTA IV was the radio. I loved the soundtrack to death, it had so much good music from all over the spectrum. What I didn't like was that they dropped any pretense of being real. Like, the old ones (outside of music) at least pretended to be FCC compliant. GTA IV has all sorts of cursing every which way and it's honestly a bit offputting. Not even the cursing, just the fact it's on the radio.

Also the guest voices on the radio, they stopped even pretending to be fun and unique characters (that were not-so-secretly more than a little based on the real artists portraying them) and just yelled "I'm a celebrity musician and I'm fulltime DJing for some reason! Here's my song!"

Well to be fair, DJ Stretch Armstrong in GTA3 is a real DJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Just bring back Maurice Chavez and his Pressing Issues talk show.

VCPR - The whole thing here

• Locked thread