Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went back to GTA4 today to try and finish TLAD (so I could start into Gay Tony), and I was reminded of why I never really liked GTA4 in the first place: It's just so sluggish. Every movement I would make felt like it was delayed. Euphoria is amazing when it comes to all the NPCs, but it was just so much easier to control your character in the PS2 games.

For example, I was behind cover in a gunfight when I decided to lob a pipe bomb at the enemy. For some reason (probably because I didn't aim first), I just dropped the pipebomb next to me on the ground. They have a fuse of five seconds which should have been plenty of time to run away. Instead, I pressed RB to unstick from cover, watched my guy do his "back away from cover" animation, then started into the slow-rear end walking animation before I could start running. By the time all that was done, the bomb had already killed me.

There are some good thing about GTA4 though. Running from the cops is as fun as ever, and I don't mind the boat-like physics. The damage effects on the cars is really great, and the euphoria engine makes the pedestrians behave better than any other game. This game still impresses me technically when compared to recent games.

I think Red Dead Redemption is the best game on this generation of consoles though, and I'm not even keen on the western setting. All the issues I had with the mechanics of GTA4 were fixed in RDR, so it gives me a lot of hope for GTAV. My preferred setting would be Vice City in the 80s again, but they've already done two 80s Vice City games, so I won't get my hopes up. Speaking of which, I need to play Vice City Stories some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

that's exactly his point though: they're sluggish. It takes forever to do anything in that game.

That's true, but I wasn't really complaining about the car physics. My exact quote was "I don't mind the boat-like physics", which I said because that was a complaint a lot of people had when the game was released. To me, driving is as fun as it's ever been in GTA, and the car handling of the previous games would seem out of place in GTA4 anyway.

In the end, it's the on-foot action that just didn't do it for me. I played GTA3/VC/SA a TON in their days, but I found myself just wanting to get the storyline of GTA4 over so I could go on to other games.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

And the patch I mentioned made the driving pretty much exactly like the earlier games.

Woah, seriously? Did they patch the 360/PS3 version as well?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

As I recall, the Love thing just kinda ends because originally you were supposed to fly a plane into his tower.

For some reason they cut that out, though.

I thought those were side quests for some guy named Darkel (or so was the rumor).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

GTA3 was a fun game, but my main problem with it was the fact that when you finish almost all of the missions, you end up pissing off almost every gang and can't go anywhere without getting shot at.

Oh god, the Leone mafia with their shotguns are the worst. Drive too close to two of them on the street and your car will blow up instantly.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Red Dead Redemption actually had a pretty graphic sex scene that ended with full frontal nudity. I don't think much of an issue was made over it. The media might just be over video game controversies.
That's what I don't get. How can that get an M rating while Hot Coffee (which was a full clothed scene that had to be hacked into the game) meant GTASA for a retroactive AO rating? Have the ESRB standards changed that much since 2005?

Also, was it even possible to see the Hot Coffee scene on the PS2?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I stopped playing LCS on the mission where you had to remotely drive a car via bumper-cam and delayed controls. How far into the story was I? I've been thinking of restarting it thanks to this thread (or maybe just buying VCS and playing that).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Was listening to Wave 103 today and the DJ lead-in to I Ran So Far Away is clearly meant to be for Video Killed The Radio Star, which is on an entirely other station for some reason.

Wow, I can't believe I never noticed that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JaS4_1bm0I&feature=player_detailpage#t=494s

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

Only times I go and kill pedestrians is if I'm pissed and fail a taxi mission when I'm about to complete it or fail a mission for the 10th time.

After that, it's ped killing time.

But other than that, I can't remember too many times beyond the initial "A new GTA? Time to kill some people!" phase.
You never just go around and kill as many people as possible while trying to run from the police? It's one of the most fun things to do in GTA.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If anyone wants to buy the two episodes, keep in mind that it's cheaper to buy them both on disc now than it is to buy them digitally.
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-Episodes-Xbox-360/dp/B002DC8GMM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1304798859&sr=8-13

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Underflow posted:

Does anyone know how the Xbox controls for III/VC/SA compare to the PC's? I'm tempted to get them again for the Xbox, but after playing IV alot I'm not sure if I can go back to those clunky PC controls. I mean, do you steer and accelerate smoothly with the LS instead of just L-R and yes-no?

I don't know how the xbox controls are mapped, but the PS2 versions have the acceleration on the X button. All the buttons on the dualshock 2 are analog so you get analog acceleration. My guess is that acceleration is mapped to A on the xbox, not the analog stick, so you wouldn't have analog acceleration.

I'm not speaking from experience though. I'm sure someone with the xbox versions can verify.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Do you know if the normal version has the commentary too? I don't really wanna download 4gb if I don't have to

The normal quality of the Vice City run had commentary. I would bet that would too.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zedd posted:

Doesn't Microsoft have a rule you can't have a mandatory installation? That hosed over ME2 somewhat.
Unless they changed it.
Yes, because they still sell a 360 without a hard drive for $200, and all games have to be playable by those people.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Out of curiosity, was the PS2 version of VC done with auto-aim or what? I thought that it worked quite wello on the PC. Well, except for the shotgun which was slow and a bit useless.

All the PS2 games had auto-aim. I know in GTA3 you COULDN'T free aim even if you wanted to (I don't remember how the other two (4?) PS2 games handled that though)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rockstar is honoring the tenth anniversary of GTA3 by releasing it on iOS and Android. They're also making a pretty badass Claude action figure for the low low price of $150:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19201/announcing-grand-theft-auto-iii-10th-anniversary-edition-for-sel.html

I was surprised to realize it's already been ten years since GTA3. It still is the only game that's ever blown me away when I first played it. I didn't have a PS2 at the time, so my first time playing it was at a friend's place. I remember thinking "You can just get in ANY car?!" The concept of a sandbox game was foreign to me, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever that you could just do whatever you wanted. I bought it as soon as it was released on PC and even though it ran like garbage on my family's computer, I put a ton of hours into it.

edit: Announce GTAV already, rockstar. Thanks.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2011

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

GTA3 is still my favorite GTA so to see Rockstar give it 10 year anniversary treatment, and for loving ios/android only makes me want to cry.

For what it's worth, Rockstar posted this comment on the article in response to some people with the same complaint:

quote:

@LightPhoenixNL @johnc7311 @gytis1232 @Texel17 In case you missed when we stated it before, we do plan to bring Grand Theft Auto III to additional devices, the ones in the article are all we're able to confirm at this time, no new info to pass along right now
That might just mean more mobile devices though. I'd love to see a re-release of GTA3 with sharper textures and a San Andreas-style control scheme on XBLA or something.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cage posted:

I prefer owning retail DVDs for GTA4 over having the episodes on steam. Still faster than downloading 16GB.

You don't have to download a game every time you play it, you know.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

csidle posted:

No, the marketing for GTA 4 was intensely focused over 13 months. First trailer was released March 2007, the game was released April 2008.
Well, it was also delayed between then from late 2007 to April.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

If they didn't add facial motion capture, however, what else could they add to the engine? In terms of scenery and detail, GTA4 is already pushing the current gen consoles to their absolute limit.
That's what I was thinking before Red Dead Redemption came out, but that game looked noticeably better than GTA4 and (more importantly) it controlled better. That was two years after GTA4, so I can't wait to see how they've refined everything two more years later.

I'm not getting my hopes up for an early release of GTAV. Rockstar already has Max Payne coming out in March.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Iacen posted:

I worked for a spell at GAME. I had customers coming in and asking for GTA Ih Vee.
"What, you mean GTA four?"
No, they wanted GTA Ih Vee.
"Alright, here you are. One copy of GTA FOUR."

Roman numerals are apparently too hard for people to grasp nowadays...

(Edit: Of course, that wasn't nearly as bad as the kid that asked me for a copy of Codfore. Call of Duty 4. Codfore. Jesus.)
I thought "Cod four" was a pretty acceptable way of shortening that title. :confused: If I was asking for it in a store I would say the whole title, but still...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SaviourX posted:

I really want a Santos in the '80s, but all the numbered GTAs are contemporary, so.

GTA2 was in the future, wasn't it?
edit: Wikipedia says maybe...

edit2: Just checked my manual and it says "three weeks into the future", so I guess it is contemporary.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 26, 2011

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

As much as I disliked his talk show in GTA4, I do hope Lazlow returns to the air as a DJ or talk host again in GTAV. Chatterbox was the best, and he was decent in Vice City as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

Seriously. Give me a universal garage that saves every car I've ever put in that garage, no matter what safehouse. If a car is destroyed, give me a fee so I can return the car back to driving condition and it'll reset inside my garage. Steal poo poo, Rockstar.

There was a car-spawning garage in GTA3, so it's not like there isn't precedent. Though it would be weird to see that in a post-GTA4 game. They would probably do something like "call Johnny the CAR GUY to have him drive a certain car to you!" because it would be more "realistic".

Erebus posted:

You're probably thinking of this, though it doesn't have GTA4 in it. 4 would be between 3 and SA.

The scale in that is a little weird. There's city blocks in Burnout Paradise that are larger than whole islands of GTA3. I know that game has some pretty big distances between streets to account for the crazy speed you drive through at, but that still doesn't seem right.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 27, 2011

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

I guess I'm weird because I'd rather just do a quick trip to ammunation and stock up than reload, haha.

In the PS2 games, it was often faster to just reload and drive from your safehouse to the mission than it was to drive from the hospital. It was even worse because you would lose your weapons and some money. It was really just a matter of saving time for me.

Vice City tried to solve it with that taxi that would take you back to the mission, but I doubt many people used it. Did they even include that in San Andreas? GTA4 solved all that though by letting you keep your weapons and restart a mission instantly.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm amazed at how fast the vehicle damage system works in SA compared to IV, you aren't careful then in less than three hits and your car is a twisted half written off piece of junk.
Speaking of vehicle damage, has ANY other game done a dynamic-damage system like GTA4 did? Along with the Euphoria animations, the vehicle damage was what impressed me the most about that game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Uncle Lina posted:

So, anyone know a program i can use to add audio onto my rendered videos without losing picture quality?

Something like virtualdub could do that.

I'd recommend avidemux:
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

It's really easy to replace the audio and then just output it without re-encoding the video. If you want to edit the existing audio, you'll have to output that first and then edit it with some other program.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MrChupon posted:

Am I the only person who just grabs the first car in sight, regardless of model, drives it until it explodes, then takes the next nearest car? I never understood the whole parking garages and car modding stuff -- if I actually put money into the car, I couldn't fly it off a bridge in a beeline for the next objective!

Well yeah, you gotta keep the good cars in your garage and never drive them!

Did anyone else make it a goal to collect the cars with weird properties in GTA3? Most of them involved destroying a car during a mission/race and then pushing it back to your garage to un-destroy it and unlock the doors.
http://www.gtawh.com/gta3.php?page=bpcars

Of course, in Vice City there is that one mission where you can just go around a corner and grab Ken Rosenburg's invincible Manana (or whatever it was) after it was over.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Terraplane posted:

Has anybody downloaded GTA:SA from Xbox Live? I was wondering if they upped the draw distance for the 360 or if it'll be identical to the old Xbox version. SA is the only GTA I never had much of a chance to play and I'm kinda getting the urge.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think all the downloadable Xbox Originals are just straight-up images of the original xbox discs. So you might be better finding the disc version for half the cost.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

You can get them on Amazon for $16 for both on disc, it's called "Episodes from Liberty City".

I like that Rockstar didn't skimp on what's just a collection of two DLCs. The disc version includes a new foldout poster/map with all the new locations on it. There's also three additional radio stations on it (including Vice City FM, the best station).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I thought the facial animation in GTA4 was just fine. And from what we saw in LA Noire, there is a weird disconnect when you have a super realistic face and a traditionally animated body. It was alright in LA Noire because all the characters were mostly sitting still when talking, but GTA characters are always flailing around with all sorts of hand gestures and stuff.

I'm sure they can adapt the tech so that it looks decent in a GTA game, but it just seems unnecessary.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MissSheGrrl posted:

Have you played GTA4 recently? They were great at the time but even now I think they feel quite static and stiff.

I've only played the DLC episodes recently and it looked fine. I guess I don't remember if they were improved over the main game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dan Hollis posted:

Well, obviously for the ratings reason mentioned above. I just don't understand it. I love sex and would get a real kick from watching my guy nail a hooker before driving her off a cliff.
You can have sex with hookers in every GTA game since GTA3...

I mean you can't drive them off a cliff right after though because they get out of the car first.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Everyone's forgetting the one thing San Andreas had that should have been in GTA4: Local multiplayer. Seriously, it was terribly implemented and was surely something Rockstar added at the last minute, but it was really fun. At the time, I just remember thinking "Man, the multiplayer in this is pretty crappy, but I'm sure they'll refine it in the next GTA and it will be the best thing ever!" :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

It did have local multiplayer, at least on the PS2. In-game you'd find little icons like the Rampage skull icon, but double. Accessing that meant that player 2 could join in as some random woman for a 2-player local killing spree.
There were rampage modes but I always played the free-roam modes. (I think it was a pink icon?). 2 players in one vehicle was kind of cool because I think it was the only time you could free-aim from a car outside of missions. In prior GTA games, a friend and I would usually just take turns running from the cops until we died. That was made so much more fun in the 2 player mode because one person could shoot while the other drove. Pretty much every session ended in some hilarious way, often the result of the bugs that came with multiplayer. The best was when we both ended up walking around on the ocean floor because the game bugged out and didn't recognize that we were underwater. The invisible tether lead to some weird stuff.

I was disappointed when GTA4 didn't have any sort of local coop like that, though I totally understand why they did it, and I'll probably just have to accept San Andreas as the only one that will ever have local play.

Can GTA4 do system-link?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Coolodile posted:

Games > Grand Theft Auto V: "After 5 years on the east coast it was time to go home."

No kidding. There's no way that's CJ when its so obviously Lance Vance.
Tommy continued his life of crime until he decided to leave it all behind him and move to the other coast. Be a good guy, you know, a family man. To his surprise, Tommy finds Lance is alive and well in Los Santos. Turns out, the shootout at Starfish Island wasn't really the last dance for Lance Vance. Now Tommy must decide whether to return to his "previous line of work" and go after Lance or continue on the right track. And, well, you know how it is...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MZ posted:

Probably bullshit, and to be fair, anyone could have guessed/made that info up. But then again, who knows?

Firstly this person can't spell very well for a journalist, and secondly he'd never be invited back to a games studio again as I'm sure R* would keep tight tabs on anyone that visited and leaking this much stuff would get you blacklisted.

Well, he never actually claimed to be a journalist, just someone who worked for the magazine. He also said that he never got to see the game, all that info was just relayed from a coworker. The weirdly specific stuff he talked about (like shooting a trail of leaking gasoline) makes it a bit more believable.

Ah who am I kidding, There's a 99% chance that it was all made up. I love pre-GTA speculation! I really do hope that Rockstar is already showing this game to the media already, though. We still have no idea how close this is to completion.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The fuel system in Mafia served one purpose, people could shoot your gas tank, which would then drain. You'd either have to keep filling up or get a new car.

I don't mind this idea. It's way better than the GTA3-era games where a stray bullet hitting you gas tank would cause you to instantly blow up and die. Having to stop and fill up would be dumb, but I could see them putting it in as another way to incapacitate a car.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

Really? People complained about the graphics? GTA4 had a lot of issues, but at the right time of day, it looked incredible. I just wish there was a way to freeze the clock to during the daylight/early evening hours.

The problem was that Rockstar did their standard GTA marketing and didn't post (or allow anyone to post) gameplay footage before release. So all people had to go on was the three trailers and a bunch of screenshots. And GTA4... looked a lot better in motion than it did in still frames. There were big arguments about how it looked like crap in official screenshots like this one:

Notice the "watercolor" filter.

Once it came out I think a lot of people changed their opinions. Driving around at night when it's raining blew me away the first time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Joda posted:

Yeah nothing like driving around in a literally black and white environment save for a few traffic lights around.

You pretty much picked the worst example.

Really? I thought the weather effects in that game were some of the best I'd seen at the time (then Rockstar outdid themselves with Red Dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Joda posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYGifDDDzrI

It gets worse and worse as the video goes on. It never gets as bad as it can, but you clearly see the colour drain from the world.
I've seen GTA4's weather effects. I guess if your measure of "good visuals" is simply proportional to the color saturation then you might not like it.

• Locked thread