Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

teethgrinder posted:

I've now been working through GTA IV slowly on and off. It took me a while to get into but I learned to enjoy it by ignoring your loving friends.

I love how they progressed from friends being such an integral part of gameplay in GTA IV, to being an optional annoyance in Lost and Damned, to all but dropping it altogether in Ballad of Gay Tony. BoGT gives you exactly one pair of friends, and they hardly ever call you. It's like it took Rockstar three games to realize what a lovely idea the "friends" system was, and yet they kept clinging to it.

I was actually hoping that in Lost and Damned you'd, you know, not even have a cell phone since you're a loving biker. But nope it's still there, it's just not ringing every five minutes from Dwayne talking about killing himself again.

That all aside, I enjoyed the GTA IV saga. As boring and depressing as the vanilla game was, it was actually well-written. I just wish it was also fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

TLAD was good, but I think it did its job too well in portraying how absurd the culture was. After the first few missions I was wondering why the hell I was wasting time with these losers, barely being paid and riding around in their precious little synchronized motorcycling events when there were other people to work for.

Yeah, I haven't finished the game yet but it seems like what you said, it was all on purpose because the game is about the dissolution of a biker gang and the death of the "hard-living, freedom-loving" culture it represented. Liberty City is basically no place for a wild pack of Easy Riders any more, it's become a yuppie paradise where everything's expensive and the little guy can't get a break unless that little guy is a drug dealer or hired assassin or whatever, or if they have connections.

It becomes even more effective when you compare Johnny's story to Luis's. Luis thrives in Liberty City because he lucked into becoming partners with the city's most powerful nightclub mogul and socialite. Even Niko does better than Johnny, simply because he lucked into having a cousin who had dealings with really rich, really evil people.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

If you play as a cop, they drat well better make it "Bad Lieutenant: The Game" and not another moral fable where you play someone brooding and conflicted. I'd be fine with being a Harvey Keitel type, roaming around, shooting up heroin when I'm not shooting up pimps, or drinking in the street while tossing grenades off of overpasses just because. I'd even settle for Nicolas Cage. I take that back, I'd settle for no less than Nicolas Cage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

illcendiary posted:

My favorite GTA experience has always been turning on the "Peds Riot", "Peds with Weapons", "Peds Attack You", and "Flying Cars" cheats in GTA 3 and just running around the city with chaos all around.

Yeah, they brought back the peds rioting in San Andreas in the most literal sense, by actually having that be part of the story. I knew it was coming since it was the LA area in the early 90's, but it was still amazing when it happened. The best part is that you can make the riots start up again any time with a cheat code, and it's not just angry pedestrians. You have random cars burning in the street, houses on fire, guys just walking around with TV sets... all this plus you can turn on a cheat to instantly give yourself a gimp suit and a big rubber dildo. Not to mention the "recruit anybody" cheat, so you can amass a small hobo/prostitute army.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

KFCB posted:

This is how I feel. The only time I am actually using the character/person of Claude/Tommy/CJ/Niko is when I am in-mission. All the times outside of that, it does not matter to me what the controlled character says/does/looks like. It never crosses my mind that Niko's motivations don't line up with me cruising in a tank all aroudn town.

I can kind of agree with this, but I just tend to "inhabit" whatever character I'm playing when I play any game. Not so much if I load up the game and immediately jump into psycho killing mode, but if I've been following the story and try to go on a rampage between missions it doesn't feel right.

On an unrelated note, why do people trash GTA IV so much and not GTA III? GTA III has even less to do between missions and yet nobody complains. Is it just the fact that GTA III was the first of its kind? Is it really the fact that Claude is a "silent protagonist" and they feel like they're more free to be a bastard?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cage posted:

One came out 10 years ago.

So it's just nostalgia then? I just don't see the issue with toning down the bullshit they kept adding with each new installment. It was fun bullshit, but where do you go after San Andreas? They kept one-upping themselves until they kind of got backed into a corner, and GTA IV reset everything back to GTA III. I'd imagine that GTA V is going to be the next-generation San Andreas, and I can't wait.

Edit: Also GTA IV had... vigilante missions? And if you count the DLC you also have biker gang wars, drug wars, base-jumping, bike races, etc. When I said "less stuff to do" I meant, just ambient stuff laying around like golf-carts, helicopters, planes and so on, not "side missions". I never did the ambulance or taxi missions in any GTA game anyway.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 6, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

K8.0 posted:

You're wrong and GTA3 has at least as much side content as GTA4, and definitely has more FUN side content, but that's not the issue.

In terms of :
Side missions
Vehicles
World variety
Pedestrian/vehicle variety by region
Character progression and general abilities

"Character progression"? Does Claude level up in GTA 3 because I really don't remember that. Also Niko doesn't die when you hit the water. Pedestrian variety by region is greater in GTA IV by simple virtue of the fact that they had a clothing/face randomization feature in GTA IV that actually gives you unique pedestrian types. Vehicle types are about the same, side missions are less I'll admit. But world variety? GTA IV is one of the most detailed cities to date in a video game, and each island is like the size of the entire world map of GTA III.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

In III, every 10 or so hidden packages found gives you something neat. Maybe you get a neat new weapon right outside your hideout for FREE.

If there's one thing I missed (there's a lot of things I miss) from GTA III and Vice City, it was having weapons spawn near your hideout. Ballad of Gay Tony was the first time that I can recall since Vice City where you'd have free weapons spawn at a safehouse for doing stuff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

At least GTA IV didn't have you lose your guns when you die. It had that going for it.

VV "Don't necessarily have to"? You don't lose them at all... seriously sometimes it seems like you're going way out of your way to make GTA IV look like complete poo poo. It was flawed, and a little boring, but it wasn't a bad game.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 6, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cage posted:

After bumming around on imdb I realized that GTA4 didn't have any celebrity voice actors. This should be changed for the next title.

GTA3: Frank Vincent, Joe Pantoliano, Michael Madsen, Robert Loggia, Michael Rapaport
VC: Ray Liotta, William Fichtner, Tom Sizemore, Dennis Hopper, Burt Reynolds, Luis Guzmán, Danny Trejo, Gary Busey, Fairuza Balk
SA: Samuel Jackson, Chris Penn, The Game, Big Boi, Ice T, James Woods, David Cross
GTA4: There are a few celebrities doing radio commercials, but no one voicing a character.

edit:

The GTA series was pretty much the first series in video game history to have celebrity voices that actually fit the story and setting and didn't feel shoe-horned in for sales. Part of that is the fact that Rockstar never advertised who was in their games. People would just find out and make a big deal about it, or it'd be mentioned offhand in a preview or interview or something, but it wasn't on the box or press releases as a "game feature".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, so Lost and Damned certainly ended. I was starting to really get into it, too, and I thought it was about halfway done and then the climax kicked off and... that was it. The final confrontation was really unsatisfying, I mean I'm sure it was intentional but after all that bullshit there was no catharsis at all. In fact it felt like the ending of Red Dead Redemption (the actual, pre-credits ending). Not that it was bad, it just came a little too soon I thought.

Himuro posted:

I didn't miss it, it's just didn't care for any of the characters in that game.

Yeah, other than Luis and Tony, the only other character that really stood out in BoGT was Yusuf. Lost and Damned had even fewer, I honestly can't say I cared about any of the characters apart from... okay I can't think of a single one. The senator seemed like an interesting character but you hardly see him (although at one point you see a little too much of him).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'd like to see a game like GTA actually set somewhere like the Midwest, with a Chicago-type city surrounded by stupid tourist trap places like in Wisconsin, rural Illinois countryside, a run-down port city like St. Louis, etc. Basically make it San Andreas but with a Midwest theme.

Either that or a chunk of Louisiana. But I imagine the next game is going to be a revisit, probably San Fierro. I just have a vague hunch based on some of the character outlines.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

...GTA4 feels smaller than it really was because the 3 islands didnt really differ that much.

It probably also feels that way because they made it realistic enough to seem like New York City and New Jersey, but about a tenth the size (or less). It's like the realism actually hurt it, because they made it so close and yet compared to the real thing it's tiny.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cage posted:

If you get outside the circle and a cop spawns then you weren't paying attention to the radar. Cops won't just spawn in the middle of it, they'll always come from the edges. Its more than enough time to stop and change directions so that they never see you.

Yeah, the cops aren't just magically appearing. The cops you run into outside of the patrol circle are cops that just happened to be driving around, or were on their way to the circle. The higher your wanted level, the more likely there'll be cops surrounding the circle or driving around. It actually feels more like an escalating police manhunt than just "oh that guy hit a police car with his car, send every single police patrol after him, one at a time, on a city-wide chase... also all our cops are psychic".

As far back as GTA 3 I wanted to be able to actually lose the cops instead of using a Pay n' Spray or police bribe. I wanted the challenge of having to outmanuever the cops chasing me and take new routes on-the-fly instead of memorizing a bunch of hidden icons. GTA IV finally delivered, and I think that most people were satisfied, even the ones that insisted the game was horrible because it was "too serious".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

Also, GTASA isn't a good example. I think GTASA is the game where they started using a quantity over quality rule. GTASA is just too loving big, losing the arcade-y feel. It's tedious doing even the most basic taxi missions before it takes like five minutes to drive from one end of Los Santos to the other, nevermind finding police bribes and pay n' sprays. I definitely think SA is textbook case example of "more does not equal better".

Alright, this I definitely agree with. San Andreas had a lot of poo poo to do, yes, but it didn't feel as... "tight". Like there were so many activities and things to do, but they were so spread out that you really didn't feel like bothering with it. Vice City, to me, was perfect. They nailed the atmosphere, the radio stations, and had just enough variety in the vehicles and weapons to not get overwhelming. All that plus a smaller map so everything was contained and cohesive.

Many people have said it already, but if they could take the fun, arcade-y feel of Vice City and put it in the GTA IV engine it'd be the perfect GTA game. They were nearly there with Ballad of Gay Tony, but not quite. However, I still enjoyed the hell out BoGT, I just wish there were more of it. In the 80's.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

It doesn't take long at all to learn how to drive and surprise, cars that look like they should handle better, handle better.

You can't stress this enough. If you want a car that handles like the old GTA slot cars, get something like a Coquette or any other sports car. They're lightweight, speedy, and they turn on a dime. Remember the Banshee? It was the best car with the best control in every single 3D GTA, and it's still in there if you look for it. It handles every bit as good as it did back in GTA's Slot Car Days.

I'm not sure why I'm trying to argue with people who've already decided that they hate every single thing about GTA IV and its expansions, but whatever. Most of the complaints are basically that the game isn't "pick up and play" anymore, and they have to work for their enjoyment. Which is understandable, but it didn't really bother me personally.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'd say all the characters from IV will be completely ignored or there'll be another easter egg saying they're all dead. The GTA series was never big on continuity, so I don't know why people keep insisting that they'll see the same characters from game to game. Occasionally one would make a brief cameo, like Claude in San Andreas, but it was pretty rare except for maybe the DJs (who don't really count as "characters" in the game).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think TLAD and TBOGT are what we are getting as the vice city and san andreas of this generation. If GTAV is a new continuity, I wouldn't mind at all.

I doubt they're switching to a brand new engine though, so it's more like TLAD and BoGT combined are Vice City (collectively titled Episodes From Liberty City), and the next game is going to be the San Andreas of the current GTA generation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Flying vehicles was reminding me of the old flying cars cheat from, I think, Vice City. In that one (might've been in GTA III too), all the cars flied like Dodo planes, and they were really hard to control. But there was something really fun about fighting gravity, and it was exhilarating when you actually succeeded and remained airborne for a long time before the inevitable crash.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

It's loving grand theft auto stop giving a poo poo about storyline

I don't care about storyline so much as I care about my character being the type who I could accept running over a bunch of people "just because". They brought that type of character back with Luis Lopez, who genuinely acts like he wouldn't care one bit if he mowed down hundreds of bystanders in his souped-up sportscar, because "poo poo happens, man". He's like the perfect blend of polite, level-headed "business man" and total psycho rear end in a top hat.

In a way it's like Luis is the only GTA IV protagonist who feels like he really belongs in Liberty City. Maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know, but I think they should've just taken Niko and Johnny out and made GTA IV entirely about Luis. He's the one protagonist who actually made sense in the setting.

They could've even combined the three stories into one, and had Luis in his early thug days take the place of Johnny's story of a struggling, poor biker. Then Luis works his way up the criminal underworld, gets a job as a bouncer, gets noticed by Tony Prince... that'd be Niko's story, sort of. Then the final part would be after Luis is a successful co-owner of the biggest nightclub in Liberty City.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 11, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

The execution thing for example, as used in GTAIV rarely ever happens in that game.

Yeah, don't get me started on GTA IV's "moral choices". Do you kill this person or let them go? Doesn't loving matter at all, but here have a slightly different cutscene! You don't even know these people before you're pointing a gun at them, and killing them has absolutely no impact on you or repercussions on the story. And the execution animations are just that... animations. No bonus or penalty for doing an execution, no reputation lost or gained.

Some of the stranger missions in GTA IV are pretty affecting, though. Not quite as much as Red Dead Redemption, but close. Like the heroin-addicted woman you help, and that guy who thinks his wife is cheating on him. I hated that guy so much as his mission thread went on that at one point I just ran over him because he made me disgusted. But there again, I made that choice and the guy just called me on the cell again after a day passed... what I did didn't matter. In Red Dead Redemption it actually felt like most of your choices had consequences.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

A city that's been brought up in the Rockstar universe a bit and hardly explored is Carcer City. I'd actually like to see a GTA game set there, since if you go by Manhunt the place is a filthy criminal cesspool. It'd be all the excuse they need to just go nuts with old-school GTA gameplay, doing horrible things for horrible people and driving around and/or blowing things up.

They could even set it in the "near future", and since the city's basically Detroit they could have some backstory like half the city has been remodeled into a yuppie paradise while the other half has been left to rot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What's with Rockstar and making games be PS3 exclusive?

It's a carry-over from making games PS2 exclusive? Don't worry, there's rarely been a case where Rockstar stood by their Sony exclusivity deal if the game sold enough copies. Give it a year tops and we'll see the game for 360 and/or PC.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I assumed when people were saying "lots of people still play SA MP" they didn't mean "lots of people from Russia and Brazil still play SA MP". The popular American servers all seem to be down or nobody's playing them, and the most populated servers are Russian.

KFC were the big go-to guys for GTA multiplayer, now all their servers have gone under I guess. All I can find now are role-playing servers that require registration and, again, Russian and Brazilian servers. I just want to jump in a game, drive like crazy and kill people get killed by jerks as soon as I spawn.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LvK posted:

Also are there any essential mods for performance, color balance, etc.? This is actually a pretty large point of contention as to whether or not I get this on PC or wait until the PS3 version gets cheaper.

I'll second this. I have a disc copy of GTA IV that barely runs on my computer despite my computer exceeding the recommended specs, and I was wondering if the Steam version is somehow different or if TLaD or BoGT have some kind of patch which makes the game actually playable.

$10 is nothing for the GTA IV trilogy, but it's an awful lot if I can't even play the games. Also I already own them for 360... so technically I can still play them, but my disc is scratched so it's a pain in the rear end to install the game and/or play it sometimes. I'd gladly pay another $10 if they'd run on my computer.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zedd posted:

Gay Tony is better from a gameplay perspective; so just play that one last.
While not oscar worthy the story isn't bad, slightly worse then Lost and Damned, but some of the further refinements and mission setpieces make TLaD look very anticlimatic if you play it last.

Yeah, I kind of wish I'd played Gay Tony last, since the ending definitely felt like it should wrap up the trilogy. And TLaD fits right in-between GTA IV and BoGT, it's a nice bridge between the seriousness of IV and the balls-out craziness of BoGT. It also has one of the biggest non-endings in a story I've ever seen.

I loved it, but I probably would've enjoyed it better had I played it in between the other stories.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

I definitely prefer 3's mood and story to SA's. Betraying people for a buck is far more fun in 3 than raiding fake Area 51's. I also found 3's story to have more merit and more of a message about American life than SA. I can't think of any message in SA. It strays from its very premise (gang banging in the hood) a quarter into the story.

Yeah, San Andreas was like four different games that didn't quite add up to one satisfying whole. You have the gangland drama of Los Santos, then it's off to the wilderness for 4x4 Monstertruck Madness, then to San Fierro for... toy airplane flying, and finally to Las Venturas for some casino robbing. And in-between you have a bunch of crazy poo poo involving jetpacks and combine harvesters and way too much other poo poo I can't even be bothered to remember.

I remember when I finally completed the game for the first time. I was just exhausted, and I never completed the story since. But then I never completed the story for any GTA more than once.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

Yes, CJ leaves the ghetto only to get involved in more crime. Good branching out there.

True, but he also becomes filthy rich and owns a bunch of property spread out over an entire state.

But then he moves right back to the hood in the end, the gang wars start over and nothing much has really changed. It's like all this amazing stuff happens to him and he just goes "well, time to fight it out with some more rival gangs because that's just who I am".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Alright, so apparently people are getting their PS3 controllers to work in San Andreas by making them emulate a 360 controller, but is there any way to get an actual 360 controller to work properly? I tried to set up my wired controller and neither analog trigger is registered by the game, and neither is the d-pad. I mean, I guess I could set it up for the most basic of controls and leave out the radio station switching or whatever, but I'd like to get all buttons working so it controls more like the PS2 version.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Apart from that I'm loving San Andreas again. I don't think there's been a better opening to a game than just riding along those Los Santos streets on a crappy bike. It's an oddly poignant opening.

There's also the fact that you start out in the Ballas' territory, and if you happen to run into them on the way they'll start getting up in your face and talking down about Grove Street. And there's nothing you can do about it either, since you start out unarmed and skinny, you can't fight, and the only thing you have to drive is a bicycle. You have this gangster, who is obviously well-known enough for the Ballas to recognize him, riding around on a little bike and getting insulted by a rival gang and all he can do is suck it up and go home.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My first time doing the bike part in GTA IV, I actually went through the guys guarding the ramp off the beach. For some reason I thought you were meant to go up to street level to jump onto the... boat or... helicopter or something. But nope, I just wound up driving aimlessly until I flipped my bike and the boat got away.

Once I realized where to go it wasn't that much of a problem.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Why couldn't they have put Darkel in GTA IV? Same city, plenty of time passed since the first game to find a new voice actor, and I think it would've added something to GTA IV. Make his missions completely optional and not count towards the 100% completion, so Rockstar could keep their precious morality they insist on shoehorning into every game and we could have the mayhem that Rockstar Games used to stand for.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zedd posted:

Although that used a generic model in GTA4 itself, Niko had a mission involving that spoiler.

Yeah, it slowly dawned on me when I heard the news. I realized that in GTA IV I killed Jim.

And that made me pretty sad. I liked Jim :smith:

Edit: And speaking of "generic models", was that supposed to be Tony Prince during the deal in the shipping yard in TLaD? The model looked nothing like him and there was a different voice actor, but if I remembered correctly it was Tony that accompanied Luis in BoGT. Luis was exactly the same model and voice actor, though.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 21, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

^^ The Warriors was loving amazing yeah, but Bully was also really good. While it lasted. After you beat it there's really not much point in playing it ever again. Also, I'm one of the few people that like the Manhunt series. Yes, I said "series"... I even liked the sequel.

Zedd posted:

Bully 2 would rule, Bully is an amazing game that almost everybody that played it liked.

Wasn't there a tiny little whiff of a rumor that a Bully 2 was coming eventually? No word on when or what it'd be about, but I remember a brief mention somewhere. As much as I love having new characters in each Rockstar game, I'd like to see the sequel bring Jimmy back as a protagonist. I'm thinking maybe it could be set in college, since the high-school setting of the first game is pretty much played out.

I'm just wondering what sort of fighting or weapon system they'd have in a college setting. It'd have to be both non-lethal and feel right in the Bully universe.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 22, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

I never got the appeal. I may try it again sometime down the line for pc or wii, but seriously I have never been so bored playing a Rockstar game. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

I think what you were doing wrong was expecting it to be exactly like the early 3D Grand Theft Auto games. It might've been a "Rockstar" game, but keep in mind that it was an entirely different development team than the GTA series. In fact the team, Rockstar Vancouver, has apparently never worked on a Rockstar game before or since. The game was well-received, so I don't know why... but there you go. That's why it feels so different than other Rockstar games.

Personally I liked the boring-ness. The point of having a class schedule was specifically to piss you off. You're meant to feel like a kid attending a soul-crushing public school. You want to do fun stuff, you want to kick pick people in the nuts and toss stink bombs at people but you're constantly forced to go to class. And you're an "errand boy" because the entire school system is based around croney-ism and sucking up to people above you so you can stab them in the back later. Jimmy plays along with it and that's why it feels like this never-ending slog to the top the whole way.

I thought it was also kind of a jab at the Rockstar Games story structure. Basically the game is like the GTA formula condensed into a small town and high-school... wait a minute, every Rockstar game has you doing "menial tasks", so what makes Bully any different? I'm not even sure now what your problem with the game is.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The Warriors is a game based off a movie that perfectly captures the pacing and atmosphere of the film. Making it open-world would've completely defeated the purpose of the game. Basically it boils down to: did you like The Warriors as a movie? If so, you'll love the game. If not, then maybe the game isn't for you.

I'd go so far as to say it's the best videogame adaptation of a movie to date. Not that there's much competition there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

precision posted:

Full frontal male nudity - which is incredibly rare even in film - was a "castrated" Rockstar?

Rockstar North, the developers responsible for the GTA games, even went on to develop Manhunt 2 after the Hot Coffee scandal. Yeah, they all but disowned the game shortly after, but Manhunt 2 was a game where, speaking of "castrated", you could literally castrate people with a pair of pliers. The game was even released on the Wii, Nintendo's "Kiddy Console", with full motion controls so you could simulate strangling people in real time.

And in GTA IV you have missions like the stranger who murders his "cheating" wife and you have to drive the car with her bloody corpse in the back and drive it into the river. Red Dead Redemption had the old man whose dead wife he kept in his cabin plus the character of Seth, grave robber and implied necrophiliac.

Rockstar may have "mellowed" overall, but they're far from castrated.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

I agree with you, but the filters they added onto the executions made the game so much worse than the first one. That and the awful, "Let's move away from everything remotely similar to the premise of the first game" story.

I just found out the other day that they released the game on PC through Direct2Drive, complete with fully-uncensored executions and motion controls with the mouse. It's $20 though, which is pretty steep considering it's not that great of a game and it's five years old.

I tried pirated it, and the executions are pretty loving graphic. I didn't play that far before I got bored and uninstalled it, but what I saw was pretty disgusting. The detail on a hunter's smashed face after a baseball bat attack is pretty sickening... they sputter through their exposed neckhole, their tongue flaps around and when you carry their body afterwards they continue to spray blood. Also your character actually gets covered in blood, which I don't remember in the PS2 version. It's still not a great game, but if you're curious about what was under all that filtering you can check it out. Personally I preferred the filter after seeing the gore... the game's much more effective when you don't see the violence. With gore on it's just sort of disgusting and almost comical.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

Manhunt was unique; in no other game are you being coerced into acting in a snuff film. The scenarios you fight through are contrived, but that fits because there is a psychotic director who has carefully planned everything out. Cash is believable as a relentless killer because he was abducted from the execution chamber. Regardless of one's opinion of how fun the game is, at the very least the atmosphere is consistent.

Manhunt 2 may as well have had a completely different name because aside from the gameplay it has nothing to do, or even in common with the first one.

I completely agree. It was interesting to play through once, but the plot was as hackneyed as you can get. I even recall the "twist" being explicitly stated in previews, and I think even straight from Rockstar. So I knew going in what was up, but they had to pretend it was some big twist. And they went from the cool 70's exploitation film plot of the first game and went into a David Fincher/Eli Roth rip-off for the sequel.

Plus, you play as a mild-mannered, be-spectacled scientist. We know going in that he doesn't want to kill, and yet they make you casually mutilate and brutalize people. Some of the executions are completely unavoidable, so there's no real way to play it non-violently. The whole setting and everything doesn't make sense for the protagonist. It only makes sense if you play the game "too" violently, and you get the ending where it turns out that Leo was completely in control the entire game.

Compare that to the first, like you said. The protagonist is a death-row inmate, he's being told what to do and where to go by a sick film director and the gruesome executions are part of the snuff-film gameplay. It's horrible stuff but it fits and works in the setting. The executions in Manhunt 2 feel completely unnecessary and unbelievable for the character committing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I didn't find GTA IV's music selection to be "bad", just forgettable. I liked most of the stuff I heard, but it blended into the background for the most part. I never had a moment in the game where I'd hear one particularly appropriate song for the situation and start getting riled up, or singing along or anything like that.

Vice City's soundtrack was absolutely amazing, though. Perfectly captured the atmosphere and setting, and every single track was memorable.

• Locked thread