Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, there's people who actually like IV's soundtrack? Outside of VFM and The Journey I can't say that I found any of the stations to have had memorable music. SA and VC were much better (and III would have been too if its tracks weren't so short.) The total lack of country music outside of SA has been extremely disappointing. I know its not a real good fit for the urban settings but a huge group of people listen to that stuff and if its given a good track list (K Rose only had one bomb, in my opinion) its would really be a positive contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Discount Viscount posted:

Which song? That station reminded me that country music doesn't have to be crap. I liked going for pedestrian-smearing joyrides with "Crazy" by Willie Nelson as the soundtrack.

New York City, or whatever its title was. It was super slow and whiney and it lasted forever, I pretty much changed the station whenever it came on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

And you can't shake them like you can the cars. The bike cops never stop following you and they never stop shooting at you with their SMGs (WHY DO THEY HAVE THESE?). Flip a bitch, stomp the gas, make him go flying.

The most successful way, I found, was to hit your breaks hard so that they run into you and fall of.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Run away and shoot them as they go up to you. I forget if AKs or SMGs work better in that mission but I did it on like my second try after figuring out that you didn't have to worry too much about actually keeping up with and shooting him at the same time.

edit: But if it makes you feel better, I only ever managed to beat Wrong Side of the Tracks once, and I cheated like hell to do that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I got up on the train with Rocketman but you get knocked off several times by the sign posts, had to jump up and land again with split second timing, which is why I only did it once. It turns out that the guys have way more health than normal thugs, which was a total dick move in my opinion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, one of the best parts of San Andreas was being able to just take off into the country for some high speed driving, added a lot of extension to the "just loving around" that is inherent to GTA games. As for fixing cover based shooting, the best way to fix it would be to get rid of it, GTA should be fast paced, not the slow and clunky mess that IV's combat was.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But there are some additions to the world, such as new music for some of the radio stations! So its a bit different than either of the choices listed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

Today; In spite of having over 100 unfinished games, I installed GTA:VC and have been playing it for4h straight now; the game is showing its age a bit with regards to the character models but everything else is still a blast.

VC isn't that bad, but man is III ugly. Speaking of which, as someone who first played SA, then IV (did not finish but I feel like I'll start playing again soon,) III (did not finish) and lastly VC, I can't understand how someone could look back at the PC version of III and say it was a good game. Was it influential? Yes, highly so, but the models were godawful, the map terrible, the lack of running/climbing/swimming a bit ridiculous, the shotgun holding gangs amazingly overpowered and there was that loving "whoa" animation whenever you failed to jump over something. Was I just loving up or was the PS2 version a lot less frustrating to control? It was certainly surprising to see how much better VC and SA were than the original, which makes me sad to have not gotten any real spin offs this generation.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 31, 2011

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

blackmanjew posted:

So does GTAIV just run like poo poo for everyone?

I've got a 2500k at 4.8, 4G of ram and CFX 6970's running at 1920x1080, most of the time it'll run at like 70-90 fps, but some parts of the city just shoot down to 30fps.

I hate having my stupidly expensive computer brought to its knees by a 3 year old game.

Yeah, my computer is reasonably up to date yet can't handle it too well. My brother's does fine though. The game was poorly optimized on the PC, unfortunately.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I am replaying Vice City and I just discovered that there's a counter for how many times you can consecutively bounce a beach ball on your head. Is there a reward if I do this enough times? I got it up to ten while playing. Its so cool that I've had the game for years and am still discovering new things in it.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 16, 2011

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, did Episodes change the health system? Because vanilla GTAIV definitely had a health bar, even if it did wrap around the compass.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Underflow posted:

I thought it was interesting that the first GTA protagonist I didn't feel much affinity with (Luis) was much more realistic compared to the others in terms of actions, morals, and motivation. Perhaps because Luis himself is never really in a tight spot; just ironing out things for Tony without great sympathy - even willing to put a bullet in his head at some point. I think GTA characters work best when they have a huge chip on their shoulder. Maybe they can bring back Catalina.

I'm pretty sure that each numerical edition takes place in a seperate universe and Catalina does not exist. Even if so, doesn't she get killed in III? (never finished III)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Momomo posted:

Woozie's my favorite character in that game. I never did finish it though, are you forced to kill him or anything? I wouldn't want my pal Woozie to be a bad guy :(

Nope, but he's virtually absent from the last fourth of the game. Bit of a shame if you ask me, you did way more with him than with The Truth.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Underflow posted:

I'm curious re. V. Can't believe they'll revisit VC or SA, although I imagine San Francisco and Vegas would look really good if they gave it the kind of attention they gave to NY.

Hum, there've been pretty credible rumors (job listing type stuff) about something from the GTA team being made in a Los Angeles type environment. Though I suppose that could just be a Gameboy game or totally unrelated project.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd love to see them make an SA type game set in their version of Florida. I don't expect it to happen though, it seems like it would take way to long to design it at the level of detail they'd need.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cage posted:

Have you really paid attention to the detail in GTA4? Its insane, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure they didn't copy/paste any buildings. I think it's hard to notice because really besides times square the city is pretty ugly, but its a very detailed ugly.

Which is exactly what I was saying? That an SA type game (with multiple cities and all) would be impossible to do because they wouldn't be able to extend the detailing done in IV out to a big enough size due to memory limitations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's one that is being made right now which will port the game (or at least the map) over to the RAGE engine. Though I'd prefer my CJ to be of the non "flails around like an idiot whenever he trys to walk down the street" version and thus won't be using it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

The shooting is actually challenging without being absurdly difficult and largely based on luck as it is in Vice City

Out of curiosity, was the PS2 version of VC done with auto-aim or what? I thought that it worked quite wello on the PC. Well, except for the shotgun which was slow and a bit useless.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
In the III era I saw no problems whatsoever with wasd for everything except flying and those godawful DDR minigames. Shame I don't have a controller to hook up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Probably not, or, if so, only specialty keyboards. 95%+ of computers are not brought to play video games on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cage posted:

It boggles my mind how people don't appreciate GTA4.

A big part of why I don't appreciate it is probably because I am a PC user. The shooting system in IV is definitely a step down from SA's on the PC, with the exception of shooting while driving. The poor optimization meant that the game doesn't run that well on my (or any, from what I've heard) computer and Social Club is a giant pile of poo poo that I don't want anywhere near my gaming experience. And then there's the cover system and unbalanced health and star system, the annoying internet and phone set ups and so forth. Also I found a lot of the music to be subpar, to be honest. Thats a real shame though, because the map is quite neat and probably the closest anyone's come to creating a realistic city environment. Its jaw-dropping to this day.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

trandorian posted:

See the thing is, Liberty City in GTA IV is actually big enough that driving takes a non-trivial amount of time. The map is half the size of San Andreas, but it's also way more, well, filled than San Andreas (incidentally, I really like that streets in GTA IV have actual names).

One thing I liked a lot about SA was the empty spaces between towns. It made the game feel much more realistic than even IV at points when you drive out and see the hinterlands. Of course I wasn't always in the mood for it, but it was a lot of fun to just drive as fast as possible through the desert sometimes. I wish they had kept something like that in the series (maybe a Long Island type area or something) because I really did feel like IV had way too little land.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Have fun playing GTA with no buttons. :downs:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I didn't mind losing weapons in the III era games because it qames since it was so easy to get more, but its a real pain in IV, especially when just starting out.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you do play PC I'd recommend having a controller hooked in for SA to use during the flying missions. Some people can get the hang of the PC Controls (except bombing, which requires either remapping or three hands) but the Console controls work much better.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

Multiple main characters?

Intriguing.

A little disappointing that it's in a city we've been already. OH well, Los Santos was a decent spot for GTA.

edit: I have the same sentiment with the email. It was annoying to keep driving to a twat center and there wasn't many. It made the car jacking feel tedious.

The lack of everything in IV was annoying. Why on earth did they think it would be a good idea to make you spend seven minutes driving to a gunshop to get body armor between each mission and that was on top of the scarcity of safe-houses and other essential services.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I'm playing through IV again. I am at the mission where I have to kill the Jews who took that diamond money. I got the mission to load once but failed it. Now whenever I get to the hotel the scene fails to load and I am stuck at the loading scene for eternity. Is there something I can do to fix this? I don't have a recent save before that mission.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Himuro posted:

I can't remember any of SA's commercials :(

Hey kids! I've got puppies to show you!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
While its obvious that nothing much is coming back, I simply don't see why they would do that. The III generation had a ton of memorable characters and locations, I don't see why you wouldn't fit them into the background.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The most likely would probably be Dwayne and Playboy back before Dwayne went to prison. And yeah, probably some of Packie's family or some of the mafia types as well. I honestly thought they were setting up just that when they discussed his stuff.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

D-DST as well.
Flying my stuntplane blasting White Wedding.

Its K-DST, you've made that mistake twice now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VaultAggie posted:

Jesus gently caress, Daggerfall is huge.

Yeah, but it was largely procedurally generated and there is little to do in those in-between areas.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, the trailer park, gas station/truck depot, farm, and trees didn't render there. The screenshot misses a lot of the neat little areas in there. For me San Andreas really was the perfect size. The only problem was San Fierro being no fun to cruise around in.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well if you didn't like that stuff wouldn't you shoot him? Playboy was the guy who was moving on. Of course he tells you to gently caress off after you do what he asked, the hypocrite.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

The fact that Dwayne didn't even put up a fight and took the bullet to his head, I pretty much went okay gently caress that reload the chapter and kill Playboy instead.

His grandma attacking you with a bat (and almost killing me because I went in with low health like an idiot) was pretty funny though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Put me down as a Comet fan. Sexy, fast, good at turning, doesn't flip often and you can hop right in it if the doors are closed. Just wish it was a four seater.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Coolodile posted:

Well there was an all female counterfeiting syndicate you fight in Vice City. More of an "exception that proves the rule" type of thing.
There are a few other instances too. You kill that hooker that tried to defect from Jizzy, some of the farmers you steal the combine from are female (and its pretty hard to avoid running them over,) the police missions sometimes have female enemies, there are a few other instances too, though I can't quite remember them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its not like the cars don't already have modeled interiors. Look inside sometime, they are there. That said, that's a camera view I would probably use for five minutes total, at most.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Himuro posted:

I don't see how it's not the map if say, for example, you get a mission and the game has you drive from the city to the desert and it takes 10 minutes to get there.

Maybe they can do it similarly to how they did in SA and just have all the mission markers start close to where the mission actually starts instead of making you travel halfway across the drat map. That way we can have missions that aren't padded out with tedium while at the same time having a lot of fun terrain to drive around and experience in our spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I have the PC three pack version of Vice City and never unlocked the Cuban and Haitian mission sets. Just never got the calls. Were they removed or something or did they only happen after you beat that stupid RC helicopter mission I was never able to?

• Locked thread